logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ppas11hum  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 12:17:49 PM(UTC)
ppas11hum

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I am new to vMix, and think the software will do exactly what I need, except I am concerned about the recording of the audio. I would like to use vMix at a live dancing competition, where there are 4 adjudicators who give commentary on the performances. We currently have 6 channels of embedded audio in an HD-SDI video/audio stream (the first 2 are the music of the performance, the last 4 are each individual judge talking into a microphone). This HD-SDI stream is provided by a third party and we can't really mess with their setup or hardware. The video capture system is PC based, and they are using Blackmagic Decklink cards.

Each 3-minute performance is recorded individually, and we want to create a single MP4 file with the 6 channels of embedded audio for each routine. Blackmagic's Media Express will embed the 6 channels of audio into a single file, however the codecs offered will not work for us (no MP4 option). The Mac version of Media Express WILL record to MP4, however as I said before the existing system is entirely PC based. The recorded file is then put online and immediately viewable by the contestant after the performance.

Is this possible with vMix? Ideally we would like to record each audio channel as unique TRACKS in the recorded video file (1 audio channel per track) however we can re-map the channels to separate tracks using FFMPEG before we upload to the internet if necessary.

Thank You for any help in advance!
RichDanby  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:43:46 AM(UTC)
RichDanby

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
vMix can record 6 channels of audio to MP4. That is Master, Bus A & Bus B. I believe logically it is one 6 channel track but should be simple to remap with ffmpeg.

You would just need to use the channel matrix on the SDi input to map your 6 incoming channels to the left and right of the different busses. There is a screen shot at the bottom of https://www.vmix.com/hel...ttings.html#ChannelMixer that shows the format.

You can try this out using the demo or the free basic version.

ppas11hum  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:09:33 AM(UTC)
ppas11hum

United States

Originally Posted by: RichDanby Go to Quoted Post
vMix can record 6 channels of audio to MP4. That is Master, Bus A & Bus B. I believe logically it is one 6 channel track but should be simple to remap with ffmpeg.

You would just need to use the channel matrix on the SDi input to map your 6 incoming channels to the left and right of the different busses. There is a screen shot at the bottom of https://www.vmix.com/hel...ttings.html#ChannelMixer that shows the format.

You can try this out using the demo or the free basic version.

Hi Rich, Thank You for assisting me. I am able to do as you suggested, however I am only getting two recorded channels. I believe my "Audio Outputs" settings may be incorrect, they are currently on the default settings of the following:
Master Output: Default Windows Playback Device (1+2)
Headphones: Default Windows Playback Device (1+2)
A: None (1+2)
B: None (1+2)

In the "Audio" settings menu, the "Recording Audio" is set to: vMix Audio M A B.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong?
ppas11hum  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:16:46 AM(UTC)
ppas11hum

United States

Here are all of my settings:

Audio Output Settings.JPG (173kb) downloaded 7 time(s). Decklink Audio Settings - Channel Matrix.JPG (156kb) downloaded 11 time(s). Decklink Audio Settings - General.JPG (160kb) downloaded 9 time(s). Audio Settings.JPG (265kb) downloaded 11 time(s). Decklink Audio Settings - Channel Mixer.JPG (161kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

RichDanby  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:13:09 PM(UTC)
RichDanby

United Kingdom

I think the step that is missing is setting the audio source as MAB in the recording setup.

(I don't know what the recording audio setting in the advanced settings part of the audio section in settings does but I've been able to record 6 channels with it still set to it's default of "vMix Audio")

Annotation 2019-07-02 065935.jpg (51kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
ppas11hum  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:48:57 AM(UTC)
ppas11hum

United States

I think the step that is missing is setting the audio source as MAB in the recording setup.

(I don't know what the recording audio setting in the advanced settings part of the audio section in settings does but I've been able to record 6 channels with it still set to it's default of "vMix Audio")

Hi Rich,

Thank You again for your help. Here is the error I am getting when trying to do what you recommend:

Error.JPG (62kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
RichDanby  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2019 5:55:24 PM(UTC)
RichDanby

United Kingdom

Change the option in Settings -> Audio -> Show Advanced Settings -> Recording Audio back to the default of vMix Audio and it should work.
Joeboe  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 5:48:08 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I am stuck...I just updated a friend's system to ver. 22.0.0.66, and I can not get any audio on my PC's output...I see all the meters working, everything is set as i always do, but nothing is working
Jeffry_Ghost  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 4:36:53 PM(UTC)
Jeffry_Ghost

Czech Republic

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Joeboe Go to Quoted Post
I am stuck...I just updated a friend's system to ver. 22.0.0.66, and I can not get any audio on my PC's output...I see all the meters working, everything is set as i always do, but nothing is working

Happening to me too, like for couple weeks I can't hear anything from internal soundcard even if I set it on mastero or BUS still can't hear anything but meters are visible
ppas11hum  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 10:43:56 AM(UTC)
ppas11hum

United States

Change the option in Settings -> Audio -> Show Advanced Settings -> Recording Audio back to the default of vMix Audio and it should work.

Hi Rich,

This method was allowing me to record multi-channel audio, but I am on a new system (no longer have access to the old system) and have downloaded the latest version of the software. Is it possible the new version has caused this multichannel audio recording to stop working? I see the few posts above me, that other people have had problems with audio as well.
ukcpw  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 3, 2023 11:08:48 PM(UTC)
ukcpw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I know this post is old but it changed my life today !
I thought (never really tried) that MAB or whatever more than 1 stereo channel recording would simply mix all to a stereo track on the MP4, but now I see we can record multichannel !!!
WOW
blondsummer  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 4, 2023 10:47:03 PM(UTC)
blondsummer

France

HI, I've got a problem actually with the v26, cause all is works fine when I record MA on the MP4, but when I try with MAB, all the audio are empty :(