logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarkNF82  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2019 11:06:10 PM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Everyone,

A local cable access station is using vMix and broadcasts bingo games from the local hall. The live produced feed comes into vMix and is output over the air. Once the bingo game has completed, the staff at the bingo hall shut down their equipment and the signal is lost.

When the station was using standard definition equipment, the playback server could automatically switch when the signal was lost and play the next video, however now they are HD and the new server cannot do this. I have looked at the possibility of an automatic standby switcher for HD-SDI, however the only one I found was CAD $1000, but maybe the only proper way to go. I have looked a blackmagic converters with dual SDI. Apparently users have said they will switch to the alternate input, but not back when the main single returns.

Is there a way vMix can be set to automatically switch to another input when the live video signal has been lost or goes black for so many seconds? As it is not known what time the program will finish, a countdown or schedule cannot be used. If vMix can't do this by itself, could vTask or something similar work?

Thanks
m
thanks 1 user thanked MarkNF82 for this useful post.
nikosman88 on 10/16/2022(UTC)
Henny  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 4:35:05 AM(UTC)
Henny

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
What about giving the bingo hall some form of remote control over vmix wether it’s some form Of Remote Desktop or something like a streamdeck with campion over a vpn or even have vmix voice listen out for a phrase eg “ Thank you and good night”
kjones9999  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 5:58:49 AM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hi Mark!

I havent found a way to do this isin vmix but it can be done using this tool (its free)

https://pira.cz/show.asp?art=silence

If silence is detected, PIRA can do many things-- I have it fire off a web api request that switches vmix to a video. You can even configure to switch back....
thanks 1 user thanked kjones9999 for this useful post.
nikosman88 on 10/16/2022(UTC)
Henny  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 6:37:06 AM(UTC)
Henny

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 20 post(s)
With the above tool you could utilise additional audio channels on the sdi feed to send a pilot tone that triggers vmix by the api when lost
desmar  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 6:55:23 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
You can switch inputs based on audio levels using triggers.

OnAudioDB6, OAudioDB12 and OnAudioDB18.

eg.

If vMix detects no audio from bingo source then switch from bingo source to studio source.

MarkNF82  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 7:59:05 AM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Canada

WOW. I wasn't expecting any answers let alone so many. Funny I still think of vMix Voice as an April Fool's plugin, but what do I know.

At the moment the feed is coming in composite over fiber, then converted to SDI for the BMD Videohub, which feeds the 8 in/outs of vMix. The vMix Voice and audio level sensor could be tested with the current setup. I do like the pilot tone a bit more, which wouldn't be that hard to do either, but they all sound very interesting.

Now I'm going to push my luck and ask if there is a way either via countdown or script, to start playing a video or list in the background at a set time clock time. Usually the bingo game is just under or over an hour and we start a playlist under it to fill time. Then when bingo is over, we switch to the playlist playing in progress until the play out server takes over at the next scheduled program. Would vTask be needed for this?

Thanks
m
desmar  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:24:03 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Via 3rd party application yes, See 3rd party section in forum, and via scripting also.
I never used scripting myself as I don't have a version that supports it to play with or use.

Originally Posted by: MarkNF82 Go to Quoted Post
WOW. I wasn't expecting any answers let alone so many. Funny I still think of vMix Voice as an April Fool's plugin, but what do I know.

At the moment the feed is coming in composite over fiber, then converted to SDI for the BMD Videohub, which feeds the 8 in/outs of vMix. The vMix Voice and audio level sensor could be tested with the current setup. I do like the pilot tone a bit more, which wouldn't be that hard to do either, but they all sound very interesting.

Now I'm going to push my luck and ask if there is a way either via countdown or script, to start playing a video or list in the background at a set time clock time. Usually the bingo game is just under or over an hour and we start a playlist under it to fill time. Then when bingo is over, we switch to the playlist playing in progress until the play out server takes over at the next scheduled program. Would vTask be needed for this?

Thanks
m

MarkNF82  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 12:32:04 PM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Canada

Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that scripting can work for lower vMix versions using vMixUTC, but I don't know much about it. I could probably tweak a few example scripts, but would definitely take awhile to get anywhere useful. Also, haven't seen many examples either so that too.

m
MarkNF82  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 11:38:09 PM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Canada

Actually just remembered a program called "HTTP Matrix" Eric Pratt was demonstrating on Eastern Shore Broadcasting's, Streaming Idiots show awhile ago that trigger actions at exact time of day. I have vMix and the HTTP Matrix loading on Windows startup. Working as I was hoping so far.

Thanks everyone for the help.

m