logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richardgatarski  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:27:09 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Anyone that knows (from experience, not specs) if it can feed more than two audio channels (i.e. 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6) into vMix's audio matrix for the Input? The specs for the SDI Plus is unclear, and the specs for the USB 4K SDI plus states 8 channels (but I don't have that card, neither need 4K).
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:05:12 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Hi Richard,

I'm not sure where you've seen a spec for the USB Capture products that shows any of them capturing more than 2Ch (stereo) audio? I think it's the nature of UVC devices that the standard driver only supports 2 channels. The Pro Capture PCIe cards support 8 audio channels into vMix (and NewTek's NDI Connect), but that's because there's support in the Magewell driver (and vMix).
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
mjgraves on 6/18/2019(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:31:10 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
http://magewell.com/tech.../usb-capture-sdi-4k-plus says "Support for up to 8 (mono) audio channels at 48KHz".

And their Utility lists 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6 for the USB Plus that I have.

Another thing I don't have is an SDI source will all those audio channels, but that's what they will give me on Saturday...
(and since I will only use only one video source I don't want to bring a desktop or TB3 expansion box)
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:15:22 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

I will do a practical test for you tomorrow, since I have all the USB units and a test signal source with 8 audio channels. However, I suspect what they mean is that whilst the device will recognise 8 channels of audio, and maybe via the SDK or a different O/S it is possible to make use of them, the USB Capture SDI+ audio device that appears under Windows is only using Ch 1+2. I've just tested it with a USB Capture Plus HDMI, the only one from the USB Capture family that I have at home, and you can see in the screen grab that the Magewell utility shows that all 8 channels are present (although Ch 2-8 are muted with tone only on Ch 1), but vMix gets the audio via the Windows UVC driver, and that only carries Ch 1+2.

8ChAudio.PNG (78kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

I think the reason for showing all the channels in the Utility is that it's broadly a copy of the property panel for the Pro Capture cards, and I suspect the Tech Spec for the USB 4K SDI Plus on the web page has been copied & pasted from the Pro Capture SDI spec by someone in Marketing, unaware of the difference in the audio driver behaviour.
regstuff  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:01:42 AM(UTC)
regstuff

Hi zenvideo,
Did you get a chance to test this out? I'm looking into purchasing the SDI 4K Plus to pull in 8 embedded channels via USB. Would be very helpful to have actual confirmation. I've written to Magewell support to confirm it wasnt an error on the page but no reply sadly.
zenvideo  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:52:05 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: regstuff Go to Quoted Post
Hi zenvideo,
Did you get a chance to test this out? I'm looking into purchasing the SDI 4K Plus to pull in 8 embedded channels via USB. Would be very helpful to have actual confirmation. I've written to Magewell support to confirm it wasn't an error on the page but no reply sadly.

I think I did test it and, no, it doesn't offer a way to obtain more than Ch1+2 of the embedded audio via the UVC driver - which is the only driver currently available. As far as I can tell, the same "front end" is probably used in the Pro Convert NDI encoders, and they do convert 8 embedded audio channels, when available in the source signal.
regstuff  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2019 1:31:52 AM(UTC)
regstuff

Originally Posted by: zenvideo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: regstuff Go to Quoted Post
Hi zenvideo,
Did you get a chance to test this out? I'm looking into purchasing the SDI 4K Plus to pull in 8 embedded channels via USB. Would be very helpful to have actual confirmation. I've written to Magewell support to confirm it wasn't an error on the page but no reply sadly.

I think I did test it and, no, it doesn't offer a way to obtain more than Ch1+2 of the embedded audio via the UVC driver - which is the only driver currently available. As far as I can tell, the same "front end" is probably used in the Pro Convert NDI encoders, and they do convert 8 embedded audio channels, when available in the source signal.

Sorry for the late reply but finally got a reply from a Magewell customer rep. They confirm that it supports only stereo.