logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skoota  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 10:36:46 AM(UTC)
skoota

Groups: Registered
Australia

Hi All,

New vMix user here, and I am hoping to get advice from the "brains trust" of experienced users.

We are looking at using vMix to bring in multiple (around five) TCP Pull streams from Teradek Cube/Bond units (via Teradek Core, over bonded 4G) at 1080p/30. These will then be mixed and sent back out for streaming.

Our current computer has 2x GTX 1080 cards, but we are looking at upgrading. Our budget would allow for either a RTX 2080 Ti or a Quadro P5000.

From doing some research, the Quadro P5000 seems like the logical choice since it has unlimited H264 sessions along with 2x NVENC chips.

I also found another post on the forum (https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t18487-NVIDIA-P5000-VS-RTX-2080TI) which comes to the same suggestion - but endorses the RTX5000 instead since it supports H265, but the downside is that only comes with 1x NVEC chip.

Would the P5000 allow us to comfortably stream and record the mix in H264...also also potentially record all the incoming cameras in H.264 (rather than MPEG2) which could be more conservative on space...and also easier to edit (e.g. in Final Cut Pro) than .TS files?

Alternative suggestions about other suitable cards would also be welcomed, if people have differing opinions/thoughts.

Thanks!
desmar  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 1:49:23 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
vMix doesn't utilize dual video cards and is not recommended.

Quadro P5000 came out in 2016
Quadro RTX 5000 came out in 2018
Geforce RTX 2080ti came out in 2019

If your budget allows it, IMO I would go with the RTX 5000.

The Quadro RTX5000 is just a little more $$$ and newer than the Quadro P5000 and is
faster and better for video editing, transcoding and will do 4k and 8k video editing.

But if you plan on gaming, go for the Geforce RTX 2080 Ti.

See the following pages.

Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix

NVIDIA PROFESSIONAL SOLUTION GUIDE

Originally Posted by: skoota Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

New vMix user here, and I am hoping to get advice from the "brains trust" of experienced users.

We are looking at using vMix to bring in multiple (around five) TCP Pull streams from Teradek Cube/Bond units (via Teradek Core, over bonded 4G) at 1080p/30. These will then be mixed and sent back out for streaming.

Our current computer has 2x GTX 1080 cards, but we are looking at upgrading. Our budget would allow for either a RTX 2080 Ti or a Quadro P5000.

From doing some research, the Quadro P5000 seems like the logical choice since it has unlimited H264 sessions along with 2x NVENC chips.

I also found another post on the forum (https://forums.vmix.com/posts/t18487-NVIDIA-P5000-VS-RTX-2080TI) which comes to the same suggestion - but endorses the RTX5000 instead since it supports H265, but the downside is that only comes with 1x NVEC chip.

Would the P5000 allow us to comfortably stream and record the mix in H264...also also potentially record all the incoming cameras in H.264 (rather than MPEG2) which could be more conservative on space...and also easier to edit (e.g. in Final Cut Pro) than .TS files?

Alternative suggestions about other suitable cards would also be welcomed, if people have differing opinions/thoughts.

Thanks!

thanks 1 user thanked desmar for this useful post.
skoota on 5/31/2019(UTC)
skoota  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 2:35:17 PM(UTC)
skoota

Australia

Thanks for your reply. We don't have an intention to run dual video cards - we are just choosing between those two options.

We reckon our budget can extend to the RTX 5000. Do you think that it's better than the P5000 - given that the RTX 5000 only has one NVENC core, whereas the P5000 has two cores? I am guessing the logic is that the RTX5000 has improved performance so it only needs a single core rather than two...but I'd be interested in whether that's actually the case in real-world usage with vMix.

The computer is a bit of a multi-purpose machine (e.g. we use it for HTC Vive VR as well). Everything we currently run works great just on a single GTX 1080, so if that's the case do you think that we'd have any performance decrease in those applications using the RTX 5000 - or if anything would it be an increase in performance?
desmar  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 4:14:02 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Sorry, couldn't tell you anything about the VR side of things.

From vMix help file

NOTE: NVIDIA GeForce cards support a maximum of 2 simultaneous hardware encodes.

This means if you record to MP4 with Use Hardware Encoder ticked than only one of your streams can also have the Use Hardware Encoder checkbox ticked as well.

Otherwise, you will receive an error message when starting the second or third stream. The Quadro series cards do not have this restriction.

These are the specs for the Obsidian - 4K Streaming and Recording system.

Obsidian - 4K Streaming and Recording

Explains what you can do with the hardware listed.

Thanks for your reply. We don't have an intention to run dual video cards - we are just choosing between those two options.

We reckon our budget can extend to the RTX 5000. Do you think that it's better than the P5000 - given that the RTX 5000 only has one NVENC core, whereas the P5000 has two cores? I am guessing the logic is that the RTX5000 has improved performance so it only needs a single core rather than two...but I'd be interested in whether that's actually the case in real-world usage with vMix.

The computer is a bit of a multi-purpose machine (e.g. we use it for HTC Vive VR as well). Everything we currently run works great just on a single GTX 1080, so if that's the case do you think that we'd have any performance decrease in those applications using the RTX 5000 - or if anything would it be an increase in performance?

hellokitty  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 10:46:42 AM(UTC)
hellokitty

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
thanks 2 users thanked hellokitty for this useful post.
dark_ata on 8/9/2019(UTC), m_santana on 8/20/2021(UTC)
niemi  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:59:34 AM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Do you think that it's better than the P5000 - given that the RTX 5000 only has one NVENC core, whereas the P5000 has two cores? I am guessing the logic is that the RTX5000 has improved performance so it only needs a single core rather than two...but I'd be interested in whether that's actually the case in real-world usage with vMix.

This is exactly the case. nVidia has confirmed that one core on the newer Quadro series is at least double as efficient as two on the older Pascal series.
niemi  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:08:15 AM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hellokitty Go to Quoted Post

Have you tried this, and do you have any comments regarding stability?
dark_ata  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 12:18:39 AM(UTC)
dark_ata

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hellokitty Go to Quoted Post

I think that is the best hack in years. i need to try good but uff can streaming and record using 10 hw encoders it is incredible, at the moment i try with 5 and work, im going to leave some hours recording a very simple sceneario for try.
FrankLeggett  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2020 8:39:33 PM(UTC)
FrankLeggett

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Not sure if anyone is still watching this but I have installed the patch but I am unable to get more encodes then 2.

I have a laptop with a 1060i 6gb GPU.

I have uploaded the latest drivers and installed the relevant patch successfully but when I try to do more then 2 encodes with Hardware encoder I get dropped frames. I have run both before rebooting and after and also run the NvencSessionBump after rebooting with no success.

There was a link to how a small program that you could test how many consecutive session you could run but that link no longer works.

Can anyone offer any advice?
DaveT  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:46:10 AM(UTC)
DaveT

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I just installed it (desktop, 2080ti) and yup it works this is greattt!!

Mobile GPUs may have different drivers and thus the patch may not work?

DT
gotscottgreen  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:00:11 AM(UTC)
gotscottgreen

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How many encodes are you getting simultaneously with the hack? What format are you encoding? 1080p 60/30 something else? I am VERY interested in this!! I am doing a build and if I don't have to go Quadro I would be thrilled!

Thanks in advance!