logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HJM1  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 6:54:32 PM(UTC)
HJM1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How can we get a vMix NDI signal vissible on a normal a/v, hmdi television? What do we need for this issue?
desmar  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 7:54:03 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
ndi to hdmi decoder is required.

Several companies announced them at NAB 2019.
eg. Magewell, BridDog, DVEO, 3D Storm etc...

Originally Posted by: HJM1 Go to Quoted Post
How can we get a vMix NDI signal vissible on a normal a/v, hmdi television? What do we need for this issue?

elvis55  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 9:32:19 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
MINIX NEO Z83-4

install - NDI.NewTek
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2019 2:15:14 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: elvis55 Go to Quoted Post
MINIX NEO Z83-4

install - NDI.NewTek

Is the Atom X5-Z8350 CPU in that fast enough? According to Sienna, you need a Passmark score of 2800 to deliver 1080p60 using their NDI Ubuntu Monitor app.

I've used a similar device that has a low-end Celeron N3450 CPU. It was pretty well loaded down delivering 1080p60 using NDI Studio monitor for Windows.

I gave some consideration to the Intel Compute Stick, but decided that it was to limited in CPU and fiddly to rig a wired Ethernet connection.

In point of fact, Compute Sticks with M3 or m5 CPUs would work fine. The cheapest model has the Atom X5-Z8350 CPU.

Sienna is supposedly working on NDI monitor for Raspberry Pi, which would be very interesting indeed. ARM SBCs being cheap and commonplace.
livepad  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2019 6:37:21 PM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mjgraves Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: elvis55 Go to Quoted Post
MINIX NEO Z83-4

install - NDI.NewTek

Is the Atom X5-Z8350 CPU in that fast enough? According to Sienna, you need a Passmark score of 2800 to deliver 1080p60 using their NDI Ubuntu Monitor app.

I've used a similar device that has a low-end Celeron N3450 CPU. It was pretty well loaded down delivering 1080p60 using NDI Studio monitor for Windows.

I gave some consideration to the Intel Compute Stick, but decided that it was to limited in CPU and fiddly to rig a wired Ethernet connection.

In point of fact, Compute Sticks with M3 or m5 CPUs would work fine. The cheapest model has the Atom X5-Z8350 CPU.

Sienna is supposedly working on NDI monitor for Raspberry Pi, which would be very interesting indeed. ARM SBCs being cheap and commonplace.

The best approach is an Ubuntu Mini PC. Beelink N41 is a great choice and even offers the option of UHD output. Use Sienna NDI Monitor for Ubuntu if you want a really reliable linux based appliance or NewTek Studio Monitor if you are happy to rely on Windows 10.

The major difference of this approach compared to fpga devices like Bird-Dog is codec compatibility - the mini pc based approach already supports NDI, and NDI HX and are likely to be trivial to update to 10-bit support with NDI 4.0, plus NDI HX2 which is a cleaner, pure NDI H264 implementation than NDI HX (which is more like RTSP). Given that software apps will be able to send NDI HX2, It seems likely that NDI HX2 will become pretty popular and something you will certainly want to be able to output via your TV.

For professional AV installations, a Linux based appliance offers a controllable sustainable platform, with a wide range of options for remote configuration and other infrastructure considerations, and is proving to be the optimum choice for 'display end points' for NDI based AV installations.
thanks 1 user thanked livepad for this useful post.
mjgraves on 5/30/2019(UTC)
mjgraves  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:31:23 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: livepad Go to Quoted Post

The best approach is an Ubuntu Mini PC. Beelink N41 is a great choice and even offers the option of UHD output. Use Sienna NDI Monitor for Ubuntu if you want a really reliable linux based appliance or NewTek Studio Monitor if you are happy to rely on Windows 10.

FWIW, Sienna NDI Monitor for Ubuntu is sold in 5-pack bundles for $760 plus $121 for annual software maintenance.

NDI Studio Monitor for Windows is $0.

Not arguing value. Just stating facts. NDI Monitor for Ubuntu is likely a great value for a substantial installation. No so much for 1-2 devices.
streammediaevent  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 6:22:34 PM(UTC)
streammediaevent

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Do not complicate yourself. Buy an i3 or i5 barebone, for example Intel NUC, and install NDI Studio Monitor. It is what we are using and it works perfectly without loss of frames or cuts. Of course, this barebone must be on the same LAN as VMIX.
https://www.amazon.es/In...m-Partaker/dp/B07D7PG69V
mjgraves  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2019 1:26:34 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Being on a budget, I just purchased two refurbished tiny PCs on Ebay for $205 each:

- Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Tiny Desktop PC
- i5-4570T 2.9GHz
- 8G RAM
- 256GB SSD
- Win10 Pro
- Display port output

The i5-4570T CPU has passmark score of 4812. Easily able to deliver 1080p60 to a projector.

I was considering a couple of BirdDog Mini in decode mode. However, those only display NDI and there a chance that I many end up using some NDI|HX sources. Using NDI Studio Monitor and NDI router allows me to mix/match NDI and NDI|HX.
FrankLeggett  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2022 9:00:43 PM(UTC)
FrankLeggett

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have just got hold of a 2nd hand Apple TV 4 HD from Ebay £65 including postage and downloaded the NDI Monitor app for £18 and it works for Full NDI so this is a monitor player for £83. It will need testing to see how smooth it is but as a confidence source of NDI that is a good price.

OK here is an update. Apple TV HD only has a 100mbit NIC so can't do 1080P full NDI. Also the £18 app doesn't work very well. I have since installed Sienna NDI Monitor £90 and that works.

In conclusion Apple TV HD (Gen 4) works with Sienna NDI Monitor and 720P sources.

One bonus of Sienna NDI Monitor is you can change the source remotely from a any device on the network by going to the web page of Sienna NDI Monitor which is the Apple TV IP Address plus :8088, it is also controllable via a Bitfocus Companion App which you can program with sources for each button.

If you want full NDI you need to get the Apple TV 4K which has a Gigabit NIC.