logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rdstoll  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 1:44:20 AM(UTC)
rdstoll

Groups: Registered
United States

System:
Microsoft Surface Pro (2017 model)
Windows 10
Microsoft Surface Dock (camera connected thru the dock)
Latest vMix
Logitech c920 camera
Logitech c920 software downloaded

I've found older topics on this issue but I'm not sure whether they apply anymore.

I use vMix to record video and to LiveStream, and I've noticed a lag between the audio/video feeds. A lot of times, the camera is lagging and then suddenly "catches up" and is fine. I've been unable to figure out why this is happening.

Audio/video isn't my forte - is there a certain frame rate or setting I should be using within vMix? I use the default that comes up. Should I turn off auto-focus and auto-white balance within the Logitech software?

Thanks!
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:00:42 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
As a rule, you'll be better of NOT using the Logitech driver for the C920. It created issues. It was a CPU hog, most especially when auto focus and white balance was turned on, as noted by the XSplit community here:

https://www.xsplit.com/b...workshop-web-cameras-xbc

Uninstalling the Logitech driver, you can set your system treat the C920 as a generic UVC device.

Also, in vMix you should select the video type for the C920 as MJPEG. You must do this is you're selecting 1920x1080.

You should probably still do it if your using a lesser resolution. It eases the bandwidth requirements across the USB bus, which improved reliability.

Do NOT use H264 as this will add considerable latency to the webcam stream.

PS - I don't think that Logitech even distributes the old driver for the C920 anymore.
rdstoll  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:34:21 AM(UTC)
rdstoll

United States

Thank you very much. I switched to MJPG and did a test video and at least at first glance, it looks like that did the trick. Audio/video matched up much better.

I have the frame rate set at NTSC 59.94i - I think that was the default when I first got this camera but I fooled around with settings and can't remember what the default was. Either way, it looks like it's working better.
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 1:10:40 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rdstoll Go to Quoted Post
Thank you very much. I switched to MJPG and did a test video and at least at first glance, it looks like that did the trick. Audio/video matched up much better.

I have the frame rate set at NTSC 59.94i - I think that was the default when I first got this camera but I fooled around with settings and can't remember what the default was. Either way, it looks like it's working better.

The best the C920 will deliver is 1080p30. That should be your camera setting. vMix will process the source to make it work in a 59.94i production.