logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
luketimjohnson  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2019 6:47:35 AM(UTC)
luketimjohnson

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am the producer for the American Ultimate Disc League's Game of the Weeks that are broadcast over the air in the US on Stadium. We have loved the creativity that GT Designer has given us as it has allowed us to replicate the Ross Xpression graphics that Stadium created. We use a lot of image sequences to animate titles in, but we have found that the FIRST time that a title is cued up on an overlay channel it often stutters and skips frames in the image sequence and then often will create freeze frames in the live vide sources. At worst it also causes audio blips which are very noticeable when music is playing.

We have an Nvidia 1080ti card (w/ 6GB of memory) and haven't seen the usage on the CPU go above 25% and the GPU stays steady at around 60%. All titles are saved on the internal M.2 storage device that is getting over 500MB/sec read and write.
thanks 1 user thanked luketimjohnson for this useful post.
mgrayeb on 5/13/2019(UTC)
admin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2019 8:43:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

Check with the GPU-Z utility what the memory consumption is on the GPU.
All GT titles need to be completely loaded, including image sequences onto the GPU, so if a lot of titles are loaded into vMix
you may be exceeding that 6GB, in which case it may be thrashing the memory on playback to try and free up some space.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Regards,

Martin
vMix
luketimjohnson  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2019 5:12:10 AM(UTC)
luketimjohnson

Man
United States

We have 6 live cameras being used plus a replay machine for a 7th input. All together we are at 71 sources and without anything being triggered we are maxing the
"Memory Used" to 10125MB but the GPU load remains at 15% with nothing trigged but when we start to trigger gt titles we spike to 35%. Here is the sample from our truck this morning in our setup and you can see once we get through the first batch of titles it seems to be out of cache and thus creates major skips.

If purchasing a better GPU (2080 series?) would fix this, then we are all in as we want to be able to use animated titles (using image sequences as the animation).

Also, we've never communicated this before, but your product is awesome and what we've been able to do with it is amazing.
admin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2019 11:31:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
If the titles are using more memory than is available on the GPU then that is what will cause the stuttering.

Looking at the examples in the video, I what I would suggest is you re-render the image sequences at a lower size to match the resolution
used in the titles, as it looks like the image sequences may have been rendered full size and scaled down in the template, leading to a very large memory requirement
which is mostly unneeded.
luketimjohnson  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2019 12:56:15 AM(UTC)
luketimjohnson

Man
United States

Great suggestion and one I'm kicking myself I didn't do in the beginning. ugh. 8)