logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdurhamjr  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 11:30:39 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
The task: Setup a mobile command center that will:
1. Display on large screen monitor for activity (no brainer, done)
2. Provide encrypted low latency (under 100ms) video feed to officers on scene so they can view situation in real time. Looking for solution to stream to both laptops and mobile devices via local (portable) WIFI netowrk. I realize video quality can be greatly affected by wifi.
3. (optional) Provide a LIVE online stream that is encrypted for view off site (could use service from Streambox but high cost)

I have used vMix Pro for many year and done normal event streaming but never dealt with encryption and local network broadcast. If anyone can offer some advice on how this would be accomplished I would appreciate the input. Streambox makes a video encoder that can be viewed with their Video Player but the cost is $5999.00. I don't have $5999 to spend at the moment so trying to see if there are other options.

Would also be be nice to provide an online encrypted video feed but I don't view this as a nice, but optional service.

I am hoping to use what I have to set something up and then if demand grows I could make improvements and buy better equipment.

Thanks

Tim
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 12:08:01 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Can I simply use the NewTek Connect Spark HDMI to capture vMix output (via HDMI) and then broadcast the LIVE Stream via the Newtek Connect Spark on a local wifi network? If so which player would iOs and Android devices use to play the live feed? If anyone has done this type setup I would appreciate any advice on the setup.
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 1:19:12 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Why NDI? There are basically no NDI|HX viewing apps.

It seems to me RTMPS is what you're after. Most/many RTMP viewers will be able to see that.
dunk  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 2:30:29 AM(UTC)
dunk

Man
Australia

IMO...like what was mentioned..probably down the RTMP route.

You could probably look at some form of transparent SSL proxy. To provide a wrapper around the RTMP stream with SSL/TLS

so basically you probably need to start looking in the RTMPS area which is RTMPE over a SSL/TLS connection

but like most things this can all be broken as initial handshake with the secret key is Unsecure

Plus providing low latency with SSL...hmmmm. You would have to probably compromise on this.

My other thought is ...if you are having officers viewing these streams via phone or desktop they should probably be using a VPN or something to start with
and make sure the basic security and encryption is covered first or whats the point.

probably best to find a provider who has already setup the infrastructure and has down all the ground work with the encryption. With these kind of things they always come with a price tag.