logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vika  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2019 10:43:51 AM(UTC)
vika

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable 4 or 8 port switch that works NDI? I only need to connect two pc together. I have a Netgear GS105 but it introduces about 500 ms latency, i am guessing my switch does not have full throughput.
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 8, 2019 9:07:23 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
How have you explicitly measured that it's the GS105 that is adding 500ms latency (and not something else in the chain)? Surely it would have to be buffering rather a lot of NDI data to do that.
vika  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:18:25 AM(UTC)
vika

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If i conect the PCs directly togather without the switch thare is no noticeable latency. I also tride with the switch part of a 4g router and it also head latence. Useing vMix desktop captuer on one pc and vMix on the other.
mavik  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:29:31 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I'm happy using https://mikrotik.com/product/crs112_8p_4s_in
It offers POE for the NDI encoder if the encoders can be powered through PoE
If you don't need PoE you can use the cheaper model https://mikrotik.com/product/CRS112-8G-4S-IN
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:32:21 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vika Go to Quoted Post
If i conect the PCs directly togather without the switch thare is no noticeable latency. I also tride with the switch part of a 4g router and it also head latence. Useing vMix desktop captuer on one pc and vMix on the other.

This seems highly suspect. A switch doesn't have that much memory. It's backplane bandwidth is much higher that it's bandwidth available to a single port.

You might check to see if one system has not negotiated a gigabit connection. Perhaps you have a bad cable?

Ittaidv  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:01:47 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I'm having good results with the draytek vigorswitch p1092. It's not a well known brand, but I chose it after having troubles with multiple brands like netgear and ubiquiti. Ubiquiti overheated after a few days and didn't have correct POE readings, the netgear switch was too limited in it's gui to give all info that i wanted about power draw and stuff.

No problem to pass 8 NDI signals over this draytek switch, it has POE+ (25 watt) and has SPF if needed. It's very silent, and I have it running for months already without a single problem.
dunk  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:54:47 PM(UTC)
dunk

Man
Australia

Originally Posted by: vika Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable 4 or 8 port switch that works NDI? I only need to connect two pc together. I have a Netgear GS105 but it introduces about 500 ms latency, i am guessing my switch does not have full throughput.

If you are still looking for a solid solution and dont want issues with dropped frames and errors go with something like a cisco SG300 or 350 10port POE. Quiet, POE, Solid, Multicasting blah blah. You can sometimes pick them up on ebay for a good going rate. Just make sure to avoid the 10/100 ones and IMO a switch without POE can be cheap but after a while you will wish that you got a POE model. I hope that helps you.