logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PFBM  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:52:20 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
HI !!

yes it has been discussed..... but technology is always evolving....
is it not the time for vmix be full directX 12 and make the full use of both brands ?
or am i wrong about it ?
check this article:

https://www.techradar.co...st-graphics-cards-699480

there might be more articles that say the same.....

cheers,

pfbm

Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2019 8:40:32 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Actually vMix works well with AMD videocards. On my intel Hades NUC, the Vega GPU is really not performing bad at all. I can run 8+ HD NDI inputs (not hx), mix them, record and stream (using hardware acceleration). The NUC stays well under 10 ms all the time and doesn't drop a single frame. You need to play a bit with wattman though to get it to a perfectly working state.

But value for money, Nvidia is just tons better, I suspect this is the reason why vMix has been optimised a bit better for Nvidia cards. So for anyhting that doesn't have to be extremely small, Nvidia cards are still premium choice, due to their better pricing (especially the 10 series). Also for the top end systems, the 2080TI is the absolute performance king.

As for memory bandwidth: AMD with it's HBM2 is tons faster than GDDR5 or 6, which has some advantages, also for vMix.

Now Intel announced to start producing graphic cards as well, so finally there will be a bit more competition.

I don't think you can just draw conclusions from articles which are written about totally different uses for GPU's. vMix is, and will stay a unique software, in the way it uses system recourses. Gaming and productivity benchmarks may be informative, but in the end the only way to know if they apply to vMix, is by taking the risk of trying it or checking forums and Martin's advice. For example some chipsets and cpu's, which are perfect for video editing (x99, Ryzen,..) don't work well with vMix at all due to latency.

Also this article you posted, for example talks about gforce experience being good for gaming. It's recommended to uninstall it when using vMix, because it actually hurts performance.

Same goes for common practises such as SLI'ing graphic cards, dual cpu setups, and lots of other things, which might be recommended for some productivity workloads, but actually are counter productive when using vMix.

I don't get it why you talk about vMix not being full direct x, it has nothing to do with fully using one or another brand.

thanks 1 user thanked Ittaidv for this useful post.
PFBM on 4/19/2019(UTC)
PFBM  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 12:31:12 AM(UTC)
PFBM

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
i said directx 12....

about AMD and Nvidia ..... there are a lot of potential costumers that want to use macs... even with bootcamp
and the Nvidia vs Apple war is... lost ... it seems...
not everybody wants to costume build a pc computer....
i myself use a HP workstation with Nvidia Card.
i prefer Nvidia.... but i listen many friends saying that will not touch a pc in their lives.. :))))
and i even hope one day vMix is ported into OS X with Metal support... its just a dream... and it might never come true...
but i am sure that it will get many new costumers.

its just sharing thoughts :)

Cheers,

PFBM

Joeboe  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2019 8:37:04 AM(UTC)
Joeboe

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 31 post(s)
What most persons do not understand, is that all Macs are PCs....Mac was the first people to call them PC, (personal Computers)....The first PC I ever touched was an Apple SE30...still have floppy discs with Aldus Page Maker....so PC does NOT mean a Windows system, but a lot of persons get carried with the term....I usually say, Windows PC, or Mac...
And I also heard a lot of my friends condemn windows systems, yes, Macs are built slightly different, but most software is written for Windows Systems..me , personally, I like Windows systems, since I can assemble them myself, and parts are much easier to get, so it's Windows PC for me....
thanks 1 user thanked Joeboe for this useful post.
PFBM on 6/27/2019(UTC)