logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RichDanby  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:08:48 PM(UTC)
RichDanby

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I believe capture card inputs impose the least load on vMix, h.264 encoded streams the most (RTP,RTSP,TS,etc ) and NDI comes somewhere in between, is that right?

I'm currently developing a system for streaming motorsport and am looking at having around 10 camera inputs at 1080P60. Due to the layouts of venues the majority of these will be Transport Streams over wifi links and I'm wondering whether decoding these will create too much load on the vMix PC as I think all initial input processing is done on the CPU.

I'm wondering if I will need to have a PC in front of the vMix PC that receives the streams and converts them to NDI sources. Does that seem a sensible move or is NDI not that much less CPU intensive for vMix to deal with than a h.264 stream?

Are there any other codecs I could transcode to first to decrease the load? I'm using the VLC stream input as I get some audio dropouts using the Transport Stream over UDP option.

Another alternative would be to decode them out to HDMI/SDI and then feed a capture card.

Does anyone have any experience of using many stream inputs?

I'm possibly worrying about optimisations before I need to but I'd rather have an idea of a route to take to support more inputs.