logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarkNF82  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2019 12:07:27 AM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
As some of our other software have floating licences and vMix stated it could be installed on up to 2 machines, we assumed this was the case with vMix as well. Recently we had an issue where our licence key was installed on too many machines and timed out at 10. We did not know of any limit until we contacted support. After they reset the counter to let us use vMix again, they said they could not reset it again.

We assumed we were following protocol as we would uninstall vMix from one machine and install it on another since the original KB article stated:

"Each license can be installed on up to two PCs or Laptops in total as long as vMix is not being used on both at the same time.
To install your license on to the second machine, enter the key as normal and follow the instructions in the error message when prompted.

Licenses can also be transferred to a new computer if required as long as vMix is no longer being used on the previous machine."

https://www.vmix.com/kno...lled-on-more-than-one-pc

I see the article has since been updated, which I appreciate as the original wording obviously led to some confusion. However, a floating licence with a limit of 2 machines, would further more reduce confusion and also increase security.

Thanks

Mark

hellokitty  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2019 9:27:45 AM(UTC)
hellokitty

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
how about bieng able to de-activate a license. i recently had to do a clean re-install of win 10 with Vmix on it, because it had a wierd Ram Usage problem, i tried everything to fix it. So now i got 1 more knocked off my 10 because of it. or have ILOK activation with USB Dongle. This needs to be Fixed, The customer shouldnt be Harassed over activations in 2019. I got way cheeper software that i can De-Activate via online when i log-in from other companys.
NiBTour  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2019 12:52:21 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I agree i do installs and have been building a lot of NUC live stream systems using a key to test before removing it and going to the next system. I then ran out of keys and was told to just use the eval which isn't a problem so no worries. But on my work\play\create machine, I'm part of the Windows Insider program which is awesome for information me if vMix is going to be broke or not on an upcoming update. Well, I get two new builds a month (used to be a week) and 50% of the time it would make my machine look new thus burning through another iteration or "install" capping my license at 10. I've had to call them where they said this is the last time. It's obvious the same machine and there are so many other ways to deal with this so i like the floating idea or hell why not do what everyone else does and have a deactivate feature.

it's silly. I've purchased 4 licenses and all but one is capped at. i now know the hard limits and will walk lightly but it's very odd. especially when i update my system here pretty soon and i'll be pass the 10 and the "one time reset" limit. i guess we'll find out. :)

strange it's my only beef with the app. support, forum, app are all top notch!

-king
guztavo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2019 1:45:20 PM(UTC)
guztavo

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
+1
ovinas  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2019 4:06:36 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
A system like Microsoft Office 365 would be fine. You've an account where you can manage devices and your activations on your own not being addicted to the support.
hellokitty  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2019 1:22:51 AM(UTC)
hellokitty

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ovinas Go to Quoted Post
A system like Microsoft Office 365 would be fine. You've an account where you can manage devices and your activations on your own not being addicted to the support.

The thing is, we already have a online acct tied to are email/serial. There just is no Deactivate option.
Kelvin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:56:10 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
+1
MarkNF82  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2019 5:46:10 AM(UTC)
MarkNF82

Canada

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If floating licences is not something they want to do, maybe the installation of a "limited' version of vMix another machine(s), without using up activations. It could either have a watermark or disable features such as switching, recording, streaming etc., and only make it capable for testing hardware, making presets, graphics templates, positioning shots, etc.

I used to use my vMix HD licence on the second computer for things like this when I did not have access to the production machine. I also used the free vMix SD BASIC version, however since I no longer have the computers they were installed on, and the licence for those Free SD versions are not the same as a paid licence, I can not re-activate them to another computer, making them useless.

Deactivating licences would be a help too. They obviously have information linked to the hardware of each activated system. If they could list each system, then the licence holder could enabled/disable what system they currently wanted to use.
MartinJudkins  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 2:50:51 AM(UTC)
MartinJudkins

Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1
SHMD  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 11:59:59 AM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
+1
desmar  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2019 9:47:27 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
+1
BETech  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 8:52:17 PM(UTC)
BETech

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
+1 Absolutely. With intelligent hardware locking and Activate/Deactivate licensing.

If you are using a workstation/rack computer with multiple disk partitions for vMix productions and/or for developing vMix add-ons for Clients, current licensing can be problematic.

Each partition on the same computer and hardware with an installation of vMix requires an additional license.

In my situation, Windows 10 Master & Windows 10 Slave (back-up) with vMix and other related applications for productions. Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 for multimedia software development (Visual Studio), including vMix add-ons for Clients and all the other software packages (Office, Video/Audio editing, Graphics/Music composition, System tools). All three operating systems are required to test and validate new software developed applications thoroughly. Five licenses are currently required by the vMix registration system for the same computer.

As for the ASUS G752VS laptop, two licenses for each Windows 10 partition (vMix Master & vMix Slave).

Under the current scheme as I understand it, I will not be able to upgrade to vMix 22, as the number of licenses (seven required for two computers) will become exhausted.

All because there appears to be no intelligence in the hardware locking of the vMix licensing system when using multiple partitions with vMix on the same computer.

Microsoft, Grass Valley, Adobe, Steinberg and many other software companies seem to have no problem with these multiple activations on the same computer system. Perhaps I have been fortunate thus far. No so with vMix.

I must say in all fairness, that Martin has been generous to reset my vMix activations on one occasion, but it is not something I wish to request again in the future. So for the moment vMix 21.0.0.60 is the last version.
bgbenni  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2019 11:58:38 PM(UTC)
bgbenni

Germany

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
only for the Computer name change i lost 2 Keys.
I hope they will change something on the registration Process
Ittaidv  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:16:40 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
+1

I do a lot of testing on new hardware, and sometimes the trial won't cut it: install it today, no time for a few weeks, get back to the project and trial expired..
Also I like to swap gpu's, or motherboards, capture cards a lot, and re install windows when a machine is not behaving like it should, or when I have driver problems. I clean install every machine at least once every half year.

Also I have some clients, who move their licenses a lot, as they're experimenting with new pc's all the time, or upgrade their hardware.

A dongle, or deactivation button would be super.

I think I have 4 out of 8 of our licenses now that can't be moved anymore, didn't contact support yet though, it's on the to do list :)

In my opinion it's not needed to be able to install vMix on 2 pc's though. I think this would make it easier to check how many times a license is used. vMix is really cheap, no need to have a license installed on multiple pc's.