logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mathijs  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 8:35:17 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Today at ISE Amsterdam, I spoke with Nico after multiple years. (We worked together years ago in the early days of corporate webcasting.)

He showed me a nice product he produces, Cuebi wireless tally.
This are really small wireless tally units that can be powered from your camera or from an external battery pack.

UserPostedImage

And now the good news, these tally lights are also compatible with vMix!

Check them out here:

http://www.cuebi.com
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 3/20/2017(UTC)
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:02:16 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Mathijs

This looks very interesting. Is there an announcement or documentation that it is compatible with vMix?
Or is this inferred because of wifi operability, because I only see references to the ATEM switcher, and AFAIK the vMix and ATEM tally systems are different?

Ice
Mathijs  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 11:03:00 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

I don't know, I was already looking for the statement or documentation, but did not find it. But if he tells me it is supported, I believe him. It is not so difficult to add vMix support anyway for such a device.
So drop them a message trough their site. I also sent them the link to this post, so they might react here directly.
Give it a few days though, because being on a trade show for 4 full days is quite tiring.
cuebi  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 7, 2017 11:58:13 AM(UTC)
cuebi

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all,

First off: Thanks Matthijs for posting this message:)
Second: there was no information on the vMix support on the site because we were still in a beta-test-round with some existing customers at that moment.

As of now, the Cuebi Lights officially support vMix switchers, which I think is great news for a lot of vMix users out there, as I am sure it is the smallest, easiest and best affordable tally solution around.

Each Cuebi Light is capable of connecting directly to a WiFi network and speaks directly to the vMix switcher, so all you need is an access point, there is no base-station or a special cables. It is powered via micro-usb, it comes with AA battery packs, but you since many cameras now-a-days come with a USB host port, you can easily power it directly of the camera.

So if you are looking for a wireless tally solution, have a look at the website and send us an email, we ship world-wide.

www.cuebi.com

Cheers,

Nico

UserPostedImage
Mathijs  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 7:07:05 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

You're welcome Nico, I did bring the news a bit too early. :D
Great product. You should contact sinc747 so he can review it in one of his shows if he would like that.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:15:23 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I looked at the Cuebi site when Mathijs put up this topic. Looks really interesting! I was a little bit disappointed when I realised that they have no built in power. But I understand the design concern to make them small (ie tiny).

Any videos that shows the Cuebis in action? In particular from the talent point of view at a distance. I am curious about how visible that little led light is.

Is the tally light for Output (Live camera) only, or does it support Preview too?

cuebi  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:19:54 PM(UTC)
cuebi

Man

Hi Richard,

You got that right, the aim was to get them as small as possible, but also, since many cameras have some form of power output which you can use, adding a battery would just add cost, size and weight.

We don't have any product videos, which is a shame, but I know they are very well visible from quite a distance and angle, also outdoor in daylight. And since it offers an external connection, you can easily add more LEDs or other accessories. The external trigger cable we sell (or you can make yourself) is directly compatible with the Datavideo TD-2 and TD-3 sets. Most people mainly use the external trigger for adding a small LED inside the camera eyepiece for hand-held use, but it can also be used to trigger an on-camera monitor's tally light.

The Cuebi Light supports both PGM (in red) and PVW (in green), the LED is full RGB and it used to tell you what is going on:
Blue: connecting to WiFi
Blinking blue: no WiFi credentials
Purple: connected to WiFi
Red/Green/Off: tally state

Feel free to send me an email to discuss any form of trial if that would help you. The product has proven itself for ATEM, vMix support is brand new and it would be great to get more vMix users to start using them.

Cheers
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:57:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ cuebi

Certainly the Cuebi looks like a great Tally solution for those with the budget and the need, but I'm not convinced it's as 'plug-and-play' with vMix as is somewhat implied in this thread (which is something for the most part that the majority of vMix users would want, not something they need to configure the access point with WPA2 security each time they use it).
In other words, is it as easy and simple as using a smartphone vMix webcontroller tally is now?
I too would like to see it reviewed and/or in action with vMix before investing in such a compact solution, that seems to be more aimed at the BMD ATEM users than vMix. AFAIK, the vMix Tally protocol and ATEM Tally protocol are totally different (please correct me if I am wrong).

Ice
dundurs  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2017 2:38:57 PM(UTC)
dundurs

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I received a unit last week and did some tests:

1. USB driver did not work on Win10. On Win7 everything worked fine, did a firmware upgrade to v1.0.10.
2. Tests with ATEM showed no lag at all.
3. Tests with vMix v14 and v18 introduced a lag of 200-300ms. This is too much for us and we cannot use these tally lights.

Nico explained to me that the HTTP API polling happens 4x times a second, which ~ corresponds to the lag. My argument was that Skaarhoj controlles work with vMix without a noticeable lag, hence there is more digging to do, so Im waiting for a new firmware from Nico. Probably in the future an alternative approach should be considered, since 10 tally units each generating 20 HTTP requests / second (which corresponds to a "not noticeable lag") might flood the vMix system.
cuebi  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 5:20:40 PM(UTC)
cuebi

Man

@dundurs: There is a new firmware available with a much improved response time, it is now around 1-2 frames, worst-case 4 frames, so less than 160ms. (BTW this was tested with a decent access point, but with a fairly old standard laptop)

No need to worry about flooding the system, you can safely use 10 or more tally units without any problems. They not only talk to the switcher, they also communicate with each other. As it is now, there are only 2 units connecting directly with the mixer, the other units will listen to these "master" units. So at the current configuration, you will maybe get 10 requests a second max, regardless of the amount of tally lights used.

I will check with the developers from vMix to see what other changes can be made. The built-in phone-tally works slightly different than the current setup for Cuebi, but this is because the working of the vMix API is not the same as phone-tally uses.

So as it is now, it works well, and since the firmware can be upgraded easily, we will be working with vMix and the people on this forum into improving and adding features in the future.

@iceStream: From the start the system has been developed to be ease to use. We do not sell the access point with the set, so you are indeed required to create a normal wireless network. But once the access point is configured, and the Cuebi Lights are configured, there really is nothing else to do, and it will run this time just as well as the next. Not sure why you think you need to set WPA2 security each time, can you explain?

The Cuebi Lights are easier to use than the phone-tally:
To use the phone-tally, you need to connect your phone to the WiFi network of the vMix switcher, go to the IP address and select an input. You have to do this every time you want to use it.
For the Cuebi Lights, you use the provided setup utility to set the WiFi network, IP address and input. You do this once, and from then on, all you need to do is turn them on.
Not to mention the fact that a set of 4 is cheaper then 4 phones, the units are a lot smaller and lighter than a phone, and they can be used as a system-component to trigger other LEDs. You won't fit a phone inside your eyepiece, so your handheld operators will be happy:)

You are right, the vMix and ATEM protocol are completely different and there are really no similarities between the two. So they each have gotten their own implementation which will both be maintained actively.

Hope this has taken away any of the doubts that you have.
Yamato  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 15, 2019 8:56:09 PM(UTC)
Yamato

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,
I finally installed the Cuebi tally light i bought and they work as intended for basic use.

However i tend to use multiview a lot and i was really surprised when i discovered that when having two cameras with tally in a Multi View, cuebi lights wouldn't light up.
Is there a workaround maybe ?
When i have my analysis desk and my commentators both on screen, i really need them to know the camera is on.
Thank you
thanks 1 user thanked Yamato for this useful post.
cuebi on 4/4/2019(UTC)
pba  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:59:56 AM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Unfortunatelly as I know well, this is a missing function or feature at this time. Anyway I don't know whats going on, last time when I tried to update the firmware, I got "unknow/unavailable server" error message, which is strange.

Regarding the missing multiview feature - I'm also interested a workaround if its exist, maybe we can drop a feature request to Cuebi support...

Originally Posted by: Yamato Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
I finally installed the Cuebi tally light i bought and they work as intended for basic use.

However i tend to use multiview a lot and i was really surprised when i discovered that when having two cameras with tally in a Multi View, cuebi lights wouldn't light up.
When i have my analysis desk and my commentators both on screen, i really need them to know the camera is on.
Thank you

thanks 1 user thanked pba for this useful post.
cuebi on 4/4/2019(UTC)
cuebi  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:26:37 PM(UTC)
cuebi

Man

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this to light, we are currently working on an update of the vMix implementation that will address this issue. I will post an update in this topic as soon as the new firmware is released.

@PBA Are you still having issues with updating? Please make sure that you are using the latest version of the Cuebi Setup Utility that you can download off our site: https://www.cuebi.com/#support

Originally Posted by: pba Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunatelly as I know well, this is a missing function or feature at this time. Anyway I don't know whats going on, last time when I tried to update the firmware, I got "unknow/unavailable server" error message, which is strange.

Regarding the missing multiview feature - I'm also interested a workaround if its exist, maybe we can drop a feature request to Cuebi support...

Hello,

Thank you

thanks 1 user thanked cuebi for this useful post.
pba on 4/5/2019(UTC)
pba  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2019 8:55:13 AM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi,

thank you for your answer! New firmware? Ohh, it sounds really well, I can't wait for this! :)
Anyway I will try to update again with the latest utility, I have two sets... Please let us know, if the new firmware is released! :)

Thank you for this! Peter

Originally Posted by: cuebi Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks for bringing this to light, we are currently working on an update of the vMix implementation that will address this issue. I will post an update in this topic as soon as the new firmware is released.

@PBA Are you still having issues with updating? Please make sure that you are using the latest version of the Cuebi Setup Utility that you can download off our site: https://www.cuebi.com/#support

Hello,

Thank you

cuebi  
#15 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2019 6:57:00 AM(UTC)
cuebi

Man

Hi Yamato, Peter,

The update is available now. Please download the latest Cuebi Setup Utility from the website and then update each of your Cuebi Lights to get the updated functionality. Once updated, simply select the input number of the required camera, and the tally will light up both when using that input directly, or via a multiview in any other input.

Technical details: the input id selected in the Cuebi Setup Utility relates to order in which your inputs are set in the vmix setup. The old implementation (based on the XML API) treats all inputs equal, virtual or not. The new implementation uses the TCP API (available in version 20 and up) which accounts for the use of physical inputs for virtual inputs or multi view overlays.

Let us know if it is working for you.

In order to get the fastest response, please email directly with support@cuebi.com. Email is checked much more often than the various forums.

Kind regards,

Nico

Hello,

Thank you

thanks 2 users thanked cuebi for this useful post.
pba on 4/28/2019(UTC), Ario on 5/29/2019(UTC)
Yamato  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2019 12:20:23 AM(UTC)
Yamato

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi everyone,
Ok so i didn't got time to test sooner but i'm happy to report these cuebi works like a charm inside multiview now.

Really happy with these, I plug them on my Swit FS5 batteries for power, which have a USB out and my cameramen are good to go !

Thank you Nico and i'll be sure to contact you via mail next time, but thanks again for listening to us !
Cheers
Valentin