logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
antardwip  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:35:46 AM(UTC)
antardwip

Groups: Registered

I know I took a shortcut - the Emerald system says it supports 4 HDMI or SDI cameras up to HD 1080p and not 2 quads which I want to fit.
However, the motherboard Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 3 Intel Z270 has two PCI Express x16 slots, running at x4 (PCIEX4_1 and PCIEX4_2).Those two slots are advertised as identical and should manage a quad each.
In practice what happens, if I have got it right, only the PCIEX4_1 slot can handle four inputs, however the PCIEX4_2 slot can handle one input, flashes with two inputs and goes black with three inputs.
Gigabit support and their motherboard documentation don't say anything about the slots not being identical or sharing bandwidth, and I am wondering if I am missing something.
If you have any information that may help me get 2 quads working on that motherboard, please let me know.

The Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5 Intel Z270 is recommended for 8 inputs but I am hesitant to buy it in case the recommendation is for a Quad 2 (using one slot for 8 inputs) rather than 2 Quads (4 inputs each) using both the slots. And again I have a problem with PCIEX4_2.

All advice appreciated,

Alan Costello
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:18:25 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
antardwip wrote:
In practice what happens, if I have got it right, only the PCIEX4_1 slot can handle four inputs, however the PCIEX4_2 slot can handle one input, flashes with two inputs and goes black with three inputs.
Gigabit support and their motherboard documentation don't say anything about the slots not being identical or sharing bandwidth, and I am wondering if I am missing something.

It could be that there's a BIOS setting causing the default for the second slot to only be 1x mode (to allow the other lanes to be used elsewhere), and an option to set it to 4x mode. I've not read the motherboard manual for your board, but I've come across that sort of thing in other motherboards.
antardwip  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 1:26:53 PM(UTC)
antardwip

Thanks for your reply. I tried everything and gave up on that board. I was very hesitant to get another board as the specs on this board were fine on paper, but then I saw two quads working on an ASUS Z170-AR board, so I have ordered that. Fingers crossed...
haliredfield  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 1:54:30 AM(UTC)
haliredfield

New Zealand

As far as I know,no standard 16x cpu can handle 2 quad (8x card as I remembered)

I use i9 cpu with 40x pic-e lanes with 2 quad2 card and 1 duo2 card,wich utilities 18 3g sdi input and 1 pair of key/fill output with a asus x399 board.

Good luck
desmar  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:04:07 AM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Only the x299 chipset and the upcoming Z399 (2066 socket) and x599 (3647 socket) this Q4 2019 (fall of 2019) can support more than 1 internal 8x capture cards.
haliredfield  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:46:06 AM(UTC)
haliredfield

New Zealand

Originally Posted by: desmar Go to Quoted Post
Only the x299 chipset and the upcoming Z399 (2066 socket) and x599 (3647 socket) this Q4 2019 (fall of 2019) can support more than 1 internal 8x capture cards.

don't forget the x79 x99 series.xeon cpu always rules