logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
murben  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 4:55:59 PM(UTC)
murben

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to put together an inexpensive setup for live streaming church services to Youtube. I was lucky enough to get a vmix HD key for churches, and am now investigating cameras. Would something like a 1080p PTZ security camera work as long as I can add it as an RTSP stream into vmix? I'm thinking about getting 2 or 3 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/4...rp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Our audio would be brought in through our sound mixer, so I'm not worried about audio quality from the camera mics or if they even have mics. Just need to get video feeds without spending over $1k per camera. Thoughts? Any reason why I shouldn't go with a camera like that?

Thanks!
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 6:03:56 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Definitely read the negative reviews on Amazon for this camera. Frequently these no-names have poor documentation. I've spent hours trying to get similar "great deals" to actually work. Better off pooling your money and get one high quality PTZ that can be controlled from within vMix.

- Tom
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:47:02 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
You might consider a USB-connected PTZ cameras like the Logitech PTZ Pro or AVer CAM520. These cost more than surveillance cameras, but they make better video. I've used active USB extenders to put them quite distant from the vMix host. Use MJPEG encoding as you have zero latency.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:49:06 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Hi

I think the specs for this PTZ are pretty good, especially this:
- 1/2.8"Sensor, SONY CMOS lens, 20X Optical Zoom
Basically, it is the same as a Sony camcorder and the image samples tend to prove that this device can produce good image quality.

It is also the same sensor size as "professional" PTZ models from Panasonic or Sony.

The comments also indicate that the software is quite poor but I'm confident it makes the PTZ usable anyway. Maybe not directly in vMix but if you don't mind having a 2nd computer to operate the PTZs why not give it a try?

My 2 cts
Guillaume
murben  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:22:31 PM(UTC)
murben

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too concerned with the poor software, as I would simply be using its interface to configure the network settings and rtsp stream. I would plan on using a second monitor, or maybe a tablet to control the ptz functions.

Any idea how difficult it is to sync audio brought in direct from our sound mixer with what would be an rtsp stream from the camera? Would the audio sync settings fluctuate, or is it just a matter of getting it dialed in first and then leaving it?
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:22:11 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I can't really tell if the delay will fluctuate with these PTZ.
Best way is to delay audio directly on the sound mixer (if it can) when you know how "late" the image will be.

Unless you really want to use RTSP cameras for some reason, maybe you should consider another setup using cheap camcorders along with motorized pan-tilt-zoom heads, like the Bescor MP101.

http://www.bescor.com/mp101.html

These heads cost around $100, they work pretty well (I've got 3 of them) and they can be controlled on long distance (up to 75m) by ethernet cables (with an extra adaptor) and also wirelessly (camranger).

The pros are:
- you can use any SDI or HDMI camera or DSLR
- there is no delay with SDI or a very short one on HDMI
- they can be used on tripods or wall-attached
- zoom control is done by LANC, the standard for many cameras (Canon, Sony, etc...)
- the image quality is better than with RTSP

Hope this helps
Guillaume
maven2  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 8:11:29 AM(UTC)
maven2

Just a quick question?

Can the Bescor heads be controlled via the PTZ controls in vMix? Can I preset positions on this in vMix?