logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
menluddevafan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:26:32 PM(UTC)
menluddevafan

Groups: Registered
Sweden

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I've searched the forum and the interwebs (google, yahoo, duckduckgo, asking my parents etc.) to try to find any proof of this working as intended. As I couldn't find any specific info about outputing key/fill on the AJA io4k Plus I hope I'm not violating any forum rules posting this. Please remove/move this post if that is the case.

Coming from an macbook/apple streaming and video enviornment I was asked to do graphics for the streaming of a larger event with alot of live updated data to be presented in the various streams. Since the production already uses a bunch of vmix systems to stream individual cameras, and I'll develop and manage the "Database->Vmix->overlay/graphics in the stream" for those, I figured I'd go vmix myself for this one. Having followed this forum for a while I have to say that the community around vmix was the deciding factor for me taking the leap and investing in a vmix solution. That said I hope I'm not making a fool of myself with this first "help me please I feel lost!" kind-of-post.

So in summary I want to clarify that the AJA io4k Plus can be used to output key/fill from Vmix. The setup would be:
Vmix on an MSI laptop (GS43VR 6RE Phantom Pro) ->
AJA io4k Plus (thunderbolt 3) ->
2x HD-SDI (Key/Fill) into a BMD ATEM 2 M/E (don't know exactly which one, just that it's one of the 2 M/E versions)

The alternative would be to use a tb3 Sonnet chassi and install a Decklink duo 2 card, but I'd prefer going with the AJA io4k Plus.

Thanks a lot for any type of feedback.

Have a nice day!

--- BTW ---
Since I couldn't get the json datasource to display properly in Vmix (some json-data was not in an ARRAY) I wrote a script in NodeJS that basically sends an https request to a web API and converts the response to XML and writes that to a local file. That XML-formatted file can then be read properly in Vmix. DISCLAMER - I'm a noob at Javascript but a veteran in trying to get things done =) If anyone is in need of anything like that I gladly show my probably not perfect script to give you an idea of how I tried solving the issue.
#trying-to-contribute-myself
--- BTW ---
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:02:28 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ menluddevafan

First of all, welcome to the vMix Forum!

Unfortunately, vMix currently only supports Key/Fill output from select Blackmagic cards:
https://www.vmix.com/help21/KeyFill.html

I hope that helps to answer your question.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
menluddevafan on 3/18/2021(UTC)
menluddevafan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 11:16:43 PM(UTC)
menluddevafan

Sweden

Thank you for your quick reply ICE, really helps me alot!

For anyone else looking for info on this topic, or wanting to use Vmix to do graphics playout, I'll try to keep this post updated as I go along with building this solution.

Once again, thanks ICE!
stevespaw  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2019 4:58:48 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
You also have NDI out as an option, (it has alpha)
You could then have another PC feeding the ATEM using: https://www.newtek.com/connect/connect-pro/
Probably a more expensive option, but very flexible. I am pretty sure the AJA card can be used in this setup.

Steve
menluddevafan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2019 7:45:45 PM(UTC)
menluddevafan

Sweden

Thanks for taking the time to reply stevespaw. I was considering that but I figured I was better served for future applications by having sdi out (and/or in).

I just ordered a sonnet echo express se1 (thunderbolt 3) and a decklink quad 2. I do IMAG aswell (not sure what it stands for but I think thats what it's called in english xD). So the possibility to sync ouputs is a good thing.

After ordering I had a glass of water, a peanutbutter sandwich and felt content as I went to bed . Just to wake up yesterday morning to the news that the ndi-decode update was out for those bird dog-thingys..

Not sure one of those would have helped me out though but anyway it's cool box and it will be interesting to see how this will change things in how we're able to utilize vmix going forward.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll get back when I've had the chance to try my setup if that can help anyone.

Have a nice day!
stevespaw  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:11:30 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: menluddevafan Go to Quoted Post
I do IMAG as well (not sure what it stands for

"Image Magnification" :-)

Good luck with your project,
Steve

menluddevafan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:07:29 AM(UTC)
menluddevafan

Sweden

Thanks Steve, that means my next job will be one of those rare moments when Iactually know what I'm doing =)

Furthermore I just want to say for anybody else looking into this topic that I finally went with the following solution:

MSI GS43VR 6RE Phantom Pro laptop (Nvidia GTX1060)
Vmix (you don't say...)
Sonnet Echo Express SE1, thunderbolt 3
Blackmagic Design Decklink quad 2

...and this works like a charm doing key/fill out on SDI 1/2 and I hope I will get SDI 3 and/or SDI 4 to send "External 2" aswell.

Thanks, take it easy
thanks 1 user thanked menluddevafan for this useful post.
azanisarri on 5/12/2019(UTC)
zenvideo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:03:08 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: menluddevafan Go to Quoted Post
Just to wake up yesterday morning to the news that the ndi-decode update was out for those bird dog-thingys..
Not sure one of those would have helped me out though but anyway it's cool box and it will be interesting to see how this will change things in how we're able to utilize vmix going forward.

You might be relieved to know that it wouldn't have helped you with outputting key+fill in its current state. In firmware v2.5 it doesn't accept NDI sources which include alpha, let alone have two independent outputs (and if they were both independent you still have the possible issue that one is SDI and the other HDMI). That's not to say it will never do key+fill out (over SDI+HDMI), but certainly not yet.
javierar  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:14:12 PM(UTC)
javierar

Have not you been thinking about the UltraStudio hd mini ???
It would be more economical and works very well
I leave a link where it shows