logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
markleman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 11:17:52 AM(UTC)
markleman

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have created a score board in GT with 6 layers, each layer has a number of text boxes that update from fields in a CSV file. This all works :-)

What I did next was to set all the layers as 'hidden' in the animations tab and then used 'datachangein' storyboard to try to trigger each layer to appear when its own data changed.

Two things happen that I did not expect:

1) I enable the title in Vmix as an overlay, when the overlay is enabled the layers are hidden (good). But when change the data in the csv file to trigger one layer to appear, all the layers appear, not just the one I triggered. The triggered layer appears using the correct animation, the rest just appear. Here is a video demonstrating, I change the csv data line one at a time.

2) If I click to disable the overlay, any layers in the title that are not yet triggered to appear suddenly appear, before fading out. I was expecting only items that were currently shown to fade out leaving hidden times, um, hidden ;-)

any thoughts or suggestions?

Regards,
Mark Leman
thanks 1 user thanked markleman for this useful post.
voyagermix on 9/29/2019(UTC)
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:46:07 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Mark,

All items are visible by default in a particular storyboard.
Therefore in order to stop them appearing, you will need to go through all the items you wish to be hidden
for that particular data change event and set them all to hidden.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
markleman on 1/29/2019(UTC)
markleman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:24:59 PM(UTC)
markleman

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mark,

All items are visible by default in a particular storyboard.
Therefore in order to stop them appearing, you will need to go through all the items you wish to be hidden
for that particular data change event and set them all to hidden.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Thanks for the reply, I have set all the items to be hidden at the start and expected to be able to reveal them one at a time in any order as the events in the real world took place.

Unfortunately I don't think it will be possible to achieve this from your explanation. The 'hidden' / 'not hidden' state of each item is not stored and is lost when the next one is changed.

I guess this is the difference between an event driven approach and a pre-scripted story board.

Regards
Mark Leman
markleman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:10:56 PM(UTC)
markleman

Thinking about this a little more...

Are there any plans to add functionality to the API to allow the API to trigger parts of a GT title to be animated?

I want to show a time for an competitor as they finish and overlay it on their lane. We don't know the order they will finish in advance so can't story board it. I can get the events from the timing system via a serial port, I have written code in the past to update numeric score boards from this. Currently I could modify this code to send API commands to vmix to update the names and times but not to animate the individual layers.

I suspect you are busy getting ready for the launch of v22, so I best go and add this to the feature request forum.

Regards,
Mark Leman

raugert  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2019 2:56:14 AM(UTC)
raugert

Canada

Was thanked: 309 time(s) in 176 post(s)
Hi Mark,

I found that you can send a command through the API to load a "Page" within the title, but not a layer. If you build your title with that in mind, you might be able to accomplish your goal. I'm trying this method to reveal the 'Timeout" flags. For example, using Page1 to hide all the flags, Page2 to reveal HomeTeam TimeOut, and Page3 to reveal AwayTeam TimeOut. So far it works OK, but I can't seem to fade out the flags on Page1, I can only hide them. If I use a Fade animation, it actually shows both TimeOut flags first, and then fades them out. I'll still play with this..

An example command is :

http://127.0.0.1:8088/api/?Function=TitleBeginAnimation&Input=1&Value=Page2

You can experiment with this...

cheers,
Richard
thanks 1 user thanked raugert for this useful post.
markleman on 2/15/2019(UTC)
markleman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2019 12:43:46 AM(UTC)
markleman

Originally Posted by: raugert Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mark,

I found that you can send a command through the API to load a "Page" within the title, but not a layer. If you build your title with that in mind, you might be able to accomplish your goal. I'm trying this method to reveal the 'Timeout" flags. For example, using Page1 to hide all the flags, Page2 to reveal HomeTeam TimeOut, and Page3 to reveal AwayTeam TimeOut. So far it works OK, but I can't seem to fade out the flags on Page1, I can only hide them. If I use a Fade animation, it actually shows both TimeOut flags first, and then fades them out. I'll still play with this..

An example command is :

http://127.0.0.1:8088/api/?Function=TitleBeginAnimation&Input=1&Value=Page2

You can experiment with this...

cheers,
Richard

Thanks for the reply and for posting the API command, I am sure that will be useful in the future :-), just not for this particular problem :-(

The reason I don't think that would work is I am trying to get the times to slide in as the swimmer hits the end of the pool and there is not enough pages to cover all the combinations of who came 1st,2nd,3rd etc and make them appear in the right order.

Dusting off my maths...

With 1 lane there is only 1 possibility of who came first
With 2 lanes you could get 1,2 or 2,1 = 2 combinations
with 3 lanes you could get 1,2,3 or 1,3,2 or 2,1,3 or 2,3,1 or 3,1,2 or 3,2,1 = 6 combinations.

this looks like a factorial expression to me, so the number of combinations gets big very quickly. 6, 8 and 10 lane swimming pools are common...

Lanes Combinations
1 1
2 2
3 6
4 24
5 120
6 720
7 5040
8 40320
9 362880
10 3628800

So even if GT had unlimited 'pages' it rapidly becomes unpractical to enter all the combinations ;-)

So, until the Vmix/GT API allows us to trigger particular events I have had a look at another possible solution which is looking quite promising.

I have constructed a html web page with css animations. I have added javascript and websockets to this to trigger the animations. The html page is then added to Vmix as a browser source and shown as an overlay. I am currently using a python websockets server which has the benefit that I can also decode the serial data from the electronic timekeeping system in python and update the time and trigger the animations to occur at the correct moment.

So far this working well, I don't have the serial data stream decoded in python yet (but I have written the same code in C before for an LED score board I built) so I am using buttons on another webpage to trigger the events. Importantly the animation is looking smooth and responsive. I will try post a video later.

Regards,
Mark Leman
voyagermix  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 5:40:28 AM(UTC)
voyagermix

Man
Mexico

Originally Posted by: markleman Go to Quoted Post
I have created a score board in GT with 6 layers, each layer has a number of text boxes that update from fields in a CSV file. This all works :-)

What I did next was to set all the layers as 'hidden' in the animations tab and then used 'datachangein' storyboard to try to trigger each layer to appear when its own data changed.

i want that, Work with 21.0.0.61 VMix?
doggy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2019 5:55:18 AM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 916 time(s) in 755 post(s)
Quote:
i want that, Work with 21.0.0.61 VMix?

Won't work just as a cd will not work on a vinylplayer
Preci  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:52:26 AM(UTC)
Preci

United Kingdom

I see that you have gone to an extreme to get this to work.

I have had this recently and the only way I could get around it was to make a excel (gsheet) that would write each row at a time but keep the previous value. It would start out blank and you select each row as you go and the data then follows in while still keeping the later data hidden. (I hope that makes sense)

Quote:

1 2
1 2 3
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5 6
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You can see this in the centre of this video