logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dsolomon  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:48:48 PM(UTC)
dsolomon

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We use Skype with NDI 8 times a night- many times a week. We have a few issues though things are pretty good.

1- I have notice I have to go into settings every day and switch on Skype's NDI. Is there a way to turn on NDI so it stays on?

2- Sometimes during a show, it will turn on and off NDI. Sometimes it will disconnect and when we reconnect, NDI is not on. We have to hang up, go into settings and turn it back on. Also, it will send a message to the host that we are not broadcasting and then we are broadcasting. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:56:58 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I experience the same behaviour regarding the NDI setting, so I guess it's just the way it works and I can understand the privacy/security concern that underlies this behaviour

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
dsolomon on 9/27/2018(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 9:38:54 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Anyone got Skype (8.34.0.78), NDI Tools (3.8), and vMix (21.00.60) working together in a reliable way?

Skype will only give me an NDI stream for the first call out, and only if the call is initiated by the PC with NDI (ie not when the remote end calls in).
And Newtek's Virtual input is not recognized by Skype as a camera (but vMix recognize it).
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 3:09:22 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Not extensively tested exact same setup but I have weird behaviour from Newtek Virtual Input, that's for sure! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I noticed a computer reboot often helps when everything goes wrong (although Virtual Input works fine with VLC or other softwares at the same time it doesn't with Skype).
Regarding Skype I have not used it for several weeks so I wouldn't say

Guillaume
DWAM  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 9:16:45 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

NDI Tools 3.8 was updated last night and is supposed to improve mDNS issues. Worth a try for Skype's erratic behaviour imho.
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 8:24:11 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
NDI Tools 3.8 was updated last night

Not sure I understand, there is a new version of 3.8 with the same version number? Where is there a note about that (searched but could not find)-

DWAM  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 9:33:07 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Not sure I understand, there is a new version of 3.8 with the same version number? Where is there a note about that (searched but could not find)-

Ah ah ! Don't try to understand! Kane announced it on FB groups.
When it comes to website/versions/updates management, Newtek really sucks, not new! Basically, as always, we have to download to know which version it is! So lame!

Here's Kane's post (and first comment as he is aware of the lack of valuable information on the website)

ndi-update.jpg (73kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 10:42:45 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Got it, thanks (and agree concerning Newtek's version management - but that's an oldie LOL).

Seems Skype now (with 3.8 updated update) finds the NDI Video just fine. Still only get NDI out from Skype if the call is initated by me, now when people call in.

Furthermore, if I make a group call I can't force Skype to return just my production (eg Output from vMix) to the calles. Instead the caller gets a combo of all callers. For example, if I make a group call with my production (P) and two callers (A and B), B sees a split screen with P and A. In my humble view useless...
rowby  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2019 11:10:10 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
You might want to check out Teamviewer’s competition to Skype. Blizz

It’s free. https://www.teamviewer.c...b-conferencing-solution/

From the above page.

Features including their latest upgrade:

Participate in true browser-based meetings with no extra software required
Free for basic private and business meetings
An effortless online meeting experience that requires no sign-in, administration rights or technological expertise
Meetings with up to 300 participants: Users can scale their plan according to their needs
Dial in via a telephone line: In addition to a connection via the app or browser, participants can also dial in a conference via a conventional telephone line. To allow for that, TeamViewer provides domestic dial-in numbers for over 57 countries at domestic rates (usually free of charge)
HD videocalls: Blizz by TeamViewer allows for a brilliant video experience by supporting full high definition
Secure chat functionalities: A real contact list and unique Microsoft Office integration. Additionally, the sophisticated cross-company presence indicator lets users recognise whether a contact is online. That way, spontaneous meetings can be set up. This allows for instant synchronisation between two users; for instance, when editing of a Microsoft Outlook email message raises questions that need to be discussed in private.
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2019 5:01:52 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Quote:
Seems Skype now (with 3.8 updated update) finds the NDI Video just fine. Still only get NDI out from Skype if the call is initated by me, now when people call in.

Furthermore, if I make a group call I can't force Skype to return just my production (eg Output from vMix) to the calles. Instead the caller gets a combo of all callers. For example, if I make a group call with my production (P) and two callers (A and B), B sees a split screen with P and A. In my humble view useless...

I will try to check first point again. I feel like it used to work fine for me no matter who initiated the call...

Never tried group calls so far since NDI came to Skype so I can't confirm. That's interesting to be aware it might not work as expected, although vMixCall is my #1 choice for such "multiplex" productions.
richardgatarski  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:19:47 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Just tested with Skype v 8.38.0.161 and updated NDI Tools v3.8 on one PC. Now Skype sends NDI both when the call is initiated on local Skype and when its initiated from the remote end.

Note: below is some intermettent issues on one PC. Might be just for this one, have not tested with other PCs.
Sometimes Skype does not get any audio when microphone "Line (NewTek NDI Audio)" is selected. I have a very vague suspicion that this might happen if there is no audio playing in the NDI source selected in the NDI Virtual Input (Skype consideres it not working and reports a problem with the mic). I tried adding an Input with the same NDI Source in vMix, there I got audio. Back to Skype, no audio ("Problem with mic" said Skype).
Furthermore, when this problem occurs Newtek's NDI Virtual Input becomes unresponsive and Windows have to be rebooted.