logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gotscottgreen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 11:53:31 PM(UTC)
gotscottgreen

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use vMix for nearly EVERYTHING I do at work. Live broadcasts, recording mulitcams for post work, greenscreening just about everything. My BIGGEST issue by far is the limited audio. Compared to a DAW or really anything else that uses audio, vMix has very few options that are really key in my opinion. Here is my list in order of importance:

1) MORE OUTPUTS, when working in a studio environment, having only MAB is VERY limiting. There are times I need to send difference audio to 2 vmix callers, 4 guest in the main studio and also to a secondary studio AND an additional room. Even using a combination of a digital mixer and vMix, makes routing an incredibly nightmare and I have own an audio studio for 21 years!!

2) Allowing audio inputs to be routed to cameras on the multicorder. Right now the ONLY options are Master, camera or none. There are times I use 4-6 cameras and recording them all using the multicorder. We use wireless lav mics, for the talent and bring it right into our control room, and not being able to route that audio in vMix to the proper cameras is frustrating in post. If I want to be able to record the proper audio to the proper talent camera I would have to plug their WLS mic into the camera, which defeats having a mixer with better compression, EQ and gating than vMix does. If I want to record each persons mic to THEIR camera I cannot

3) Lastly, being able to see routing in the GUI more like a mixer. Some of how vMix uses it's audio GUI makes sense, but for those who have worked with mixers and DAWS for decades, it is VERY minimal and not intuitive.

Those are my biggest issues, all in all I LOVE LOVE LOVE vMix, and these adjustments would bring an incredibly powerful software right into something that nothing else can touch.

Best
Xavier
thanks 1 user thanked gotscottgreen for this useful post.
RZPerry on 1/11/2019(UTC)
rowby  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 10:22:57 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
+. 1. BTW. How many audio outputs would you like?
...Rowby.
Barney Box Lane  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 10:41:20 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I use multiviews to create audio buses.
basically overlaying the main audio that you want over the other inputs and drag it off screen. you can do this with a multicam set up multiple times in the same broadcast.
Not what you need but might help along the way
mavik  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 4:40:24 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I use an ASIO interface between vMix and the audio desk. This way I can ingest all channels into vmix and even send back MAB busses. That way you can bring in all the talents mics seperately. From my personal experiences it#s easier to mix audio seperately in an external audio desk as that is purpose build. Bring in the sum or a bus from the desk into vMix. That way you can do all the audio tasks at one place (automix, dubs, FX, ...etc) and the video in vMix.
gotscottgreen  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:49:14 AM(UTC)
gotscottgreen

Originally Posted by: rowby Go to Quoted Post
+. 1. BTW. How many audio outputs would you like?
...Rowby.

It would be nice to have 8 subs like on an 8 buss mixer.
gotscottgreen  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 7:52:34 AM(UTC)
gotscottgreen

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
I use an ASIO interface between vMix and the audio desk. This way I can ingest all channels into vmix and even send back MAB busses. That way you can bring in all the talents mics seperately. From my personal experiences it#s easier to mix audio seperately in an external audio desk as that is purpose build. Bring in the sum or a bus from the desk into vMix. That way you can do all the audio tasks at one place (automix, dubs, FX, ...etc) and the video in vMix.

We use a separate mixer and handle much of that outside of vMix. However when dealing with a LOT of inputs (we are using in upwards of 50), routing audio to other outputs would really be awesome. I need to get 2 vmix calls, all the audio from my videos and sound FX, talkback mics from studio and a producer to various places in and out of vMix.

Just getting 4 separate audio feeds OUT of vmix to the mixer is a a pain having to try to use L&R of A&B as separate audio.

Thanks
X