logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Richyfenn  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2018 11:29:46 PM(UTC)
Richyfenn

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Good afternoon.

We use vMix with SDI inputs and outputs 1080i interlaced, and stream at the same time to Facebook. The issue is that the stream and the picture on the PC monitors looks stripey on movement (interlace on progressive monitors). We don't want to deinterlace as it effects the SDI output too much. Are there settings to deinterlace for the Facebook streaming as I can't find any? Plus is it possible to deinterlace purely for the benefit of the monitoring? There are three monitors used, the control screen, multiviewer and ancillaries.

Thank you and merry Christmas.

Richard
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 12:29:16 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Streaming to the web is PROGRESSIVE
Streaming for Broadcast is INTERLACED

If you can't find interlaced settings for FB, there is a reason: it shouldn't be done!

So you have 2 options :

Set your vMix project at 1080p25 or 1080p30. Set your cams at 1080i50 or 60. Deinterlacing will be automatic and pretty good imho
OR
Set your vMix project at 1080p25 or 1080p30. Set your cams at 1080p25 or 30. No deinterlacing required, full progressive workflow from your cams to the CDN

In both cases your monitors will provide good image quality as they are designed for Progressive signals.

Forget about interlaced signals unless you work for a TV channel that specifically requests for it!

Guillaume
Richyfenn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 10:24:02 PM(UTC)
Richyfenn

United Kingdom

I've found settings now to set steaming to progressive, so we are in a much better position now (settings > external output > set the video streaming "frame rate" to a progressive one).

What would be nice to have is the video on the PC monitors deinterlaced so they look better. But it's not the end of the world. I did look in the Nvidia settings and it is set to deinterlace video so must be vMix.

Thank you

Richard
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 10:36:53 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

I think you did not read my previous answer carefully

If you do what I suggested, everything will be progressive everywhere.
Richyfenn  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2018 10:58:51 PM(UTC)
Richyfenn

United Kingdom

Hi DWAM,

Sorry I should have said we are broadcasting for TV so interlaced output is a requirement on the SDI output.

Thank you

Richard
DWAM  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 12:32:22 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Just set your monitors to interlaced then
Richyfenn  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 2:27:54 AM(UTC)
Richyfenn

United Kingdom

Unfortunately it doesn't help, even plugging the outputs of the graphics card into an LCD TV which is natively 1080i.

Playing around with the sizes of the on screen monitors on the controller screen and multiviewer it can be made a lot worse and better depending on the monitor size. This to me implicates scaling going on within vMix making the stripes thicker or thinner which could be solved if vMix deinterlaced for its monitors. But I imagine that could well be processing overhead that would be better used elsewhere.

Richard
zenvideo  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 3:18:39 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Richyfenn Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately it doesn't help, even plugging the outputs of the graphics card into an LCD TV which is natively 1080i.

In my experience, one of the problems with using an HDMI output from an Nvidia graphics card to output interlaced video from vMix (in 1080i50) is that the field order is back to front (when the Nvidia output is set to interlaced), hence the image (and movement) looks bad on the monitor even when it's displaying interlaced video. Outputting via a Blackmagic card has the correct field order. I don't know for sure, but I think this might relate back to SD video and the difference in the default field order for PAL & NTSC video, so if those working with NTSC-related frame rates (29.97/30/59.94/60) have not seen this issue I would not be surprised.

mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 4:19:14 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zenvideo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Richyfenn Go to Quoted Post

In my experience, one of the problems with using an HDMI output from an Nvidia graphics card to output interlaced video from vMix (in 1080i50) is that the field order is back to front (when the Nvidia output is set to interlaced), hence the image (and movement) looks bad on the monitor even when it's displaying interlaced video. Outputting via a Blackmagic card has the correct field order. I don't know for sure, but I think this might relate back to SD video and the difference in the default field order for PAL & NTSC video, so if those working with NTSC-related frame rates (29.97/30/59.94/60) have not seen this issue I would not be surprised.

<sigh> Field order has been a problem for decades. Field dominance varies by geography. In the NTSC world there is a standard that decrees field 2 is dominant (comes first.) In the PAL world field 1 comes first.

If the situation is faulty, the field play in reverse order, even as the frames move forward in the correct sequence. The result is seriously ugly.

I haven't had to think about this in years.

elvis55  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 5:14:24 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello,
(Sorry Translator English)

You may find an answer here.

Greeting
Richyfenn  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:24:32 AM(UTC)
Richyfenn

United Kingdom

I've had a closer look and it's not field order reversal. I will try out PowerStrip to see if that has any effect.

Thank you everyone.

Richard