logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AVCom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:58:24 AM(UTC)
AVCom

Groups: Registered
United States

The inability of vMix to assign any audio source to any video source is causing me fits. I confess right now I'm a beginner with vMix.

Problem: vmix has one video source. A PTZ camera coming in as a stream. No audio.

Audio is captured via a Tascam USB interface connected to the house soundboard. So vMix only has 2 inputs. Video stream and Audio Microphone.

I have to delay my audio to lip sync with the video. However, it only appears possible to do that by delaying the Audio Microphone input. This will create problems when other audio comes in that does NOT have to be delayed (as in playing a DVD).

Is there a solution? Thanks.
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:01:25 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AVCom Go to Quoted Post
Problem: vmix has one video source. A PTZ camera coming in as a stream. No audio.

Audio is captured via a Tascam USB interface connected to the house soundboard. So vMix only has 2 inputs. Video stream and Audio Microphone.

I have to delay my audio to lip sync with the video. However, it only appears possible to do that by delaying the Audio Microphone input. This will create problems when other audio comes in that does NOT have to be delayed (as in playing a DVD).

Are you suggesting that there could be a second video input (i.e. an external DVD player), and that the audio from it will be mixed with the microphone audio (which needs delaying to match the latency of the PTZ camera stream), and the mixed feed will come into vMix via a single (Tascam) USB interface? If so, that's no longer just "2 inputs - Video stream and Audio Microphone". Instead it's two classes of input, one of which needs an audio delay applying and the other which doesn't but, because you'd be pre-mixing them before taking them into vMix, you wouldn't be giving vMix a chance to apply different processing to each class.
The solution is to split the audio into two input groups (externally, e.g via the soundboard) - one for each class of audio - and then take them into vMix via two interfaces - or a single interface with more channels and an ASIO driver - and then you can add the delay to one audio input group in vMix and not to the other.

mavik  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:34:18 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Fully agree with zenvideo. The other option is to mix audio externally (and get it right there) and just add the stereo mix into vMix. To sum it up, #1 you would need additional channels into vMix then mix audio in vMix or #2 get your audio right before vMix with an external audio console and just use the stereo like you do now.