logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Non Grata  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:48:32 AM(UTC)
Non Grata

Groups: Registered
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,
I need some help with Vmix NDI. I want to use its NDI output in multicast, for many screens, but it does not work.
I use Access Manager (running as Admin) to swtich on multicast output. After that Scan Converter, installed on this PC, successfully goes multicast on this PC. But VMix NDI output is still unicast. What I'm doing wrong?

I found out that it is possible to send a video stream from vmix to Scan Converter, running on the same PC. And Scan Converter can already distribute multicast. But this solution consumes a lot of CPU resources. Can vMix ooutput multicast NDI on its own?
thanks 1 user thanked Non Grata for this useful post.
Juikko on 12/7/2019(UTC)
mavik  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:09:39 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I haven't found a UI component in vMix to selec tbetween Uni- or Multicast. If the software option isn't possible at your end connect the vMix output to a spark. The hardware encoders seem to be able to use multicast as an option.
NDI isn't really build for display delivery. How would you decode the NDI at the displays?
Non Grata  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:04:03 PM(UTC)
Non Grata

Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
How would you decode the NDI at the displays?

Oh, nettop with NDI Monitor, of course.
ask  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:01:46 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Non Grata Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mavik Go to Quoted Post
How would you decode the NDI at the displays?

Oh, nettop with NDI Monitor, of course.

Or a Birdog Mini http://www.bird-dog.tv/mini-overview/

Non Grata  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:02:46 PM(UTC)
Non Grata

Russian Federation

It seems, that my problem is more complex. Now I try to connect two NDI monitors on different computers to Test Patterns Generator on the PC with multicast enabled. All devices have NDI Tools 3.7 installed. Same problem. Unicast only.
Then I used VLC for test multicast stream. It works fine.
Why NDI does not work in multicast?
Non Grata  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 6:01:19 PM(UTC)
Non Grata

Russian Federation

Hi guys, I have not been able to solve my problem. Is there anyone here who uses NDI in multicast mode? I want to stream NDI output from VMIX to multiple large monitors (NDI Monitor) during an event on Sunday. I can't turn on multicast mode. I am using Windows 10, running Access Manager from Administrator. IGMP Snooping is enabled on the managed switch. I don't know what to do. Please help.
DWAM  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 6:28:39 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
I see your post everywhere except in the most obvious location : the Newtek NDI forum

AFAIK vMix does not support multicast NDI

I'm curious to know why you need NDI Multicast so much
- how many screens?
- is latency really an issue?
Non Grata  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2018 10:25:27 PM(UTC)
Non Grata

Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: DWAM Go to Quoted Post
I see your post everywhere except in the most obvious location : the Newtek NDI forum

AFAIK vMix does not support multicast NDI

I'm curious to know why you need NDI Multicast so much
- how many screens?
- is latency really an issue?

I can't ask a question on the Newtek forum yet. For two days waiting for the registration confirmation by the administrator.

Now I understand that vMix does not support multicast. Looking for another solution.

I have three real-time screens on stage and four screens outside the hall. I wanted a universal solution, but probably will have to connect the stage by NDI, and others by RTMP.
DWAM  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 12:11:42 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
I have three real-time screens on stage and four screens outside the hall. I wanted a universal solution, but probably will have to connect the stage by NDI, and others by RTMP.

With vMix you will have "close to realtime" only for the 3 screens on stage. At best, 4/5/6 frames behind but latency will be noticeable. It would be the same with NDI anyway...

For the 3 screens I would go for direct cabling with an HDMI splitter on vMix PGM Fullscreen output. You need one splitter but you save 3 NDI receiving computers.

For the others 4 screens, latency is not a problem so I would go for Multicast UDP (TS) or HDMI to CAT5 converters (plugged to the splitter aswell).
For Multicast UDP you just need FFMPEG or VLC encoder on the server side and 4 RPI with VLC or FFPlay on the client side
HDMI to CAT5 converters will cost ~$100/150. You need 1 TX and 4 RX + a good switch and ETH cables. No computers needed.

You can also use a hardware encoder like this one below for Multicast UDP. I have one, very reliable, excellent image quality (at 25/32 Mbits), very flexible and cheap. You should have ~500ms latency with it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm...Live-Stream/292559029544

Quote:
others by RTMP.

No ! Worst possible choice for this

Guillaume
thanks 2 users thanked DWAM for this useful post.
mjgraves on 12/8/2018(UTC), Ario on 2/8/2020(UTC)
Non Grata  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:00:50 AM(UTC)
Non Grata

Russian Federation

Thanks, man! I'm gonna try FFMPEG or VLC for Multicast UDP.
mavik  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 1:14:48 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
You can use a Newtek Spark connected to the external out of vMix. The spark can be configured in unicast and multicast. As others have mentioned NDI out off vMix, OBS or Wirecast is unicast only. This workflow will have a noticeable latency.
I guess the problem is that you want to show the program feed on the stage monitors. The program out of vMix has always a few frames latency. If your budget allows for alternatives to vMix and you need real time screen display have a look at Ross Carbonnite Ultra (10k).
HDMI baluns are nice but need a dedicated cat connection. If you need to drill holes into walls it's maybe easier to use a multicast stream with ffmpeg where you can use existing network connectivity, assuming the network is multicast enabled.
Eyes.Only  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2019 4:23:55 PM(UTC)
Eyes.Only

@DWAM - I wish I could capture all your experience with the FFMPEG to RPi designs because all the searching and reading failed attempts is daunting for me.

Ive had issues with FFMPEG packages on the pi with memory leaks and shutdowns usually stemming from trying to solve latency issues with flags such as -live.

I wish there was a sticky with the latest info on most recent technologies to simplify a task that, as you've mentioned many times, has been addressed a lot - Low latency video for LAN distribution. It's just all broken down into so many bits and pieces, it's hard to sort the best methods from the overly complicated.

Im going to keep searching here for the exact methods on the command line for FFMPEG sends (multicast UDP)... but for the rpi, which distro and player have you had success with? And 500ms? I wish more examples of this were documented. Or methods where other STB were used.

My vMix has 1 SDI and 1 NDI camera coming in,
with 1 SDI out, but I also need to send to 5 other in-house locations (2 of which I think I need to find a wireless method *ugh* and 1 where latency is an issue). The final 2 don't matter as much and they're wired. I wish NDI was better suited for distribution. It feels simpler... but I'm not experienced in working solutions yet - just failed attempts haha.
exceladdict  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2020 12:35:29 AM(UTC)
exceladdict

Australia

Originally Posted by: Eyes.Only Go to Quoted Post
@DWAM - I wish I could capture all your experience with the FFMPEG to RPi designs because all the searching and reading failed attempts is daunting for me.

Ive had issues with FFMPEG packages on the pi with memory leaks and shutdowns usually stemming from trying to solve latency issues with flags such as -live.

I wish there was a sticky with the latest info on most recent technologies to simplify a task that, as you've mentioned many times, has been addressed a lot - Low latency video for LAN distribution. It's just all broken down into so many bits and pieces, it's hard to sort the best methods from the overly complicated.

Im going to keep searching here for the exact methods on the command line for FFMPEG sends (multicast UDP)... but for the rpi, which distro and player have you had success with? And 500ms? I wish more examples of this were documented. Or methods where other STB were used.

My vMix has 1 SDI and 1 NDI camera coming in,
with 1 SDI out, but I also need to send to 5 other in-house locations (2 of which I think I need to find a wireless method *ugh* and 1 where latency is an issue). The final 2 don't matter as much and they're wired. I wish NDI was better suited for distribution. It feels simpler... but I'm not experienced in working solutions yet - just failed attempts haha.

How did you go? I'm looking at building something similar now - vmix machine that predominantly streams to FB but would love to "tune in" to the stream locally, on TVs, and need a distribution method, ideally over cat5 or network.