logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jackcabob  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 11:37:17 AM(UTC)
jackcabob

Groups: Registered
United States

I built a PC for my church to live stream services. We use a PTZOptics camera through our network and stream to facebook. I built the computer 3 weeks ago and the first week we went live the audio was dropping in and out. The week after that it worked perfectly fine. This week it did the same thing as week 1 and the audio cut in and out the whole time. I do not believe this is a hardware issue because we have another computer that I also built that when the audio cuts out we have to stream from that for the rest of the service. That computer has pretty much the exact same hardware as the streaming computer. Now I know what you are thinking, why don't we just use the one computer that works for streaming. The reason is that computer has a separate use. I could change the hardware between the 2 cases and it should work but I shouldn't have to do that. This should work without any problem. I am not saying that it is a problem with vMix I am just asking for any suggestions. If you need more info "Computer specs, Camera, etc,." just let me know. I just need to try and fix this before the next service.

Thanks in advance.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 12:45:27 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Please give us more details of your audio workflow.

What audio input device is your custom computer using (USB, built-in, network)?

Do you have a link to video that has the audio problem?

Thank you.
jackcabob  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 1:38:44 PM(UTC)
jackcabob

United States

So the camera we have is a network based camera. We connect to the camera through an IP so the sound and video is over the network.

Here is a link to the video. If it doesn't let you view it let me know and I will try and get it to you a different way.

The video is long so I included just a few time stamps of our audio problems to make it easier for you.

https://www.facebook.com.../videos/316512095852155/

Time Stamps!
18:00
26:50
27:10
27:50
28:20
39:20
Thank You For Your Help!
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:01:07 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

All of your instruments and mics are feeding into a mixer. Then are you feeding the output of the mixer into the Line In on the back of your PTZOptics camera? Or is it done another way?
jackcabob  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:53:06 PM(UTC)
jackcabob

United States

I apologise for such a late response I didn't get a notification about a new response.
Yes that's exactly is how it's done. It's feed into our behringer sound board then into the Optics camera which then feeds into our network.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:33:07 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Your audio path is all analog from mics to mixer to PTZOptics line in. That shouldn't be the issue (though I'd double check the cable). If you had a bad cable, you or the person monitoring the mixer would hear it when it dropped out. Plus bad audio cables many times will crackle when they either lose or restore audio. I didn't hear that on the video.

It would seem that the problem is in your network connection. Probably it is not fast enough or doesn't have the capacity. What make/model switch is your network using between the PTZOptics camera and the new computer build? Anything else running on the network at the same time?

jackcabob  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:43:59 AM(UTC)
jackcabob

United States

I'm not sure on the exact switch. I will check tomorrow.

However what I don't understand is we have another computer that we don't want to stream from because it was built for other purposes and when we do stream from that one (because the other one is broke) it works perfectly fine. Could it still be a network problem even though we stream fine on the other computer ?

There are many other people (phones, tablets) on the network when we stream .
jackcabob  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:26:02 AM(UTC)
jackcabob

United States

The switch the camera is running through is a TL-SG1024 24-Port Gigabit Switch
SportsNetUSA.net  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 3:11:08 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

What else is connected to your TP-Link switch?

What are your Power Options set to on the computer?

I'll also assume this is a non-NDI PTZOptics camera.
jackcabob  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 3:40:08 AM(UTC)
jackcabob

United States

There are quite a few other things plugged into the switch. 2 more computers, security cameras , printer , and a few other things that I can't think of right now.

I do not know the power options off the top of my head. The next time I am using the computer I will check ( either Saturday or Sunday)

I don't exactly know what you mean by Non-NDI. NDI stands for Network Device Interface correct? (Yes I had to look it up) in which case it would be a NDI camera since we are streaming over our network? Again I'm not sure what you are asking there. But I can get the exact model for the camera if that would help.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 11:15:41 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

No, I was referring to NewTek's NDI protocol and the PTZOptics cameras that have it

https://ptzoptics.com/NDI

https://www.newtek.com/ndi/

Your switch may be handling too much traffic. I don't believe your current switch can't be configured allocate resources/bandwidth to certain ports.

You might want to consider a connection scheme that has PTZOptics camera to separate switch (gigabit) to the computer. But first do some testing on non-worship service days if you can. Eliminate other devices on the network, and see if the audio becomes trouble free. Then you'll know that the loss of audio problem is related to the amount of devices on the network.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
jackcabob on 11/30/2018(UTC)
jackcabob  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 30, 2018 11:45:04 AM(UTC)
jackcabob

United States

I actually have tested it 2 times when nobody else was on the network and it worked perfectly fine.
Next time we have service I will kick everyone off the network and see if it works.
Thank you very very much for your help.
I will respond and let you know what happens !!