logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nazarene Israel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 6:31:27 AM(UTC)
Nazarene Israel

Groups: Registered
Chile

Hello. I am transitioning to vMix Pro from TriCaster. I am reading until my head spins, but some things I still don't get. May I please ask for your advice and comments on a proposed PC build?

Background: At the moment I am a one-man-band, so I need an ultra-quiet rig I can operate myself without noise picking up on my headset microphone under full load. This system is primarily intended as a dedicated studio rig, although I may load video editing software (Vegas, Photoshop). I started looking at the Ruby system, but saw that the Obsidian system is different (and don't really know why). I probably won't do any instant replay. However, I will want up to 4 NDIHX PTZ cameras (house of worship scenario), and up to 8 vMix calls (video conferencing scenario). I am scrimping in other areas to splurge on the system, but don't want to waste money. Would anyone care to comment on this proposed build?

Case: THERMALTAKE SUPPRESSOR F31 USB3.0 MID-TOWER ATX CASE BLACK (Quiet, very-roomy steel case with sound suppression foam. Lots of room for the Noctua CPU cooler.)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (Ruby recommendation).
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 4.9 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W ($90 more than the Core i7-8700K)
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-D15 Cooling Fan (Enormous fan, but it fits in the Suppressor F31 case. Reliable, quiet.)
RAM: Corsair LPX 32GB DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit for DDR4 Systems
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW ULTRA SILENT GAMING, 8GB GDDR5, ACX 3.0 & RGB LED Graphics Card (Huge heat sink. Takes three slots. But it is supposed to be quiet.)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW) (Would there be any benefit to installing 2 of them in RAID 0? Or would that be a waste?)
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series, RM1000x, 1000 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply ($10 more than the RM850x. I like the idea that the fans shut off when the PSU is not straining.)
HDD: WD Ae 6TB Hard Drive for Backup Storage - 3.5" HD, SATA 6 Gbps, 64MB Cache - WD6001F4PZ (Not really sure on this one.)
PTZ: 4x of the upcoming NDIHX model of PTZOptics 12X-NDI-GY, 12x Lens NDI Camera
Switch: NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, 4xPoE (GS308P)

My questions:
A. Why are the Ruby and Obsidian builds so different? (Sorry if that's a Noob question.)
B. If there is a bottleneck for vMix calls or NDIHX, where would that bottleneck arise? (In the CPU? Or in the GPU?)
C. The Core i7-9700K is $90 more than the Core i7-8700K. It has 8 cores vs 6, but no hyper-threading. Will that translate to a real-world improvement with vMix? (Or a waste of $90.00?)
D. Would a second NVMe SSD benefit this system? (I.e., would it reduce any bottlenecks? Or would it be a waste?)
E. The GTX 2070 is about $150 more than the 1080. Would that benefit this rig? (Or would it be a waste?)
F. Is there a better HDD than the WD Ae 6TB?

I am hoping for a strong, silent rig with some future-proofing. Right now I am at about $2800 with case, keyboard, etc. (and I still need to buy cameras). Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

spencerm24  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 4:19:19 AM(UTC)
spencerm24

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Obsidian build is so different becasue its designed for 4K production, and is MUCH more powerful.

if you aren't looking to do replay or multicorder, the system you have is plenty good enough. Replay or multicorder would likely require more SSD's. I believe NDIHX uses the CPU to decode, not sure about vMix Call.

As for the 6 vs 8 core question, if you aren't doing replay or multicorder, either is plenty for your needs. Multicorder and replay I'd get the more cores, since replay uses a core for each channel, so more cores is better.

Personally I prefer Seagate, but as long as its a big name brand (WD or Seagate) you will be fine. If just for backup storage, its good enough, but if you intend on playing content off it in a show, I'd suggest an SSD.
Nazarene Israel  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:31:28 AM(UTC)
Nazarene Israel

Chile

Originally Posted by: spencerm24 Go to Quoted Post
Obsidian build is so different becasue its designed for 4K production, and is MUCH more powerful.

if you aren't looking to do replay or multicorder, the system you have is plenty good enough. Replay or multicorder would likely require more SSD's. I believe NDIHX uses the CPU to decode, not sure about vMix Call.

As for the 6 vs 8 core question, if you aren't doing replay or multicorder, either is plenty for your needs. Multicorder and replay I'd get the more cores, since replay uses a core for each channel, so more cores is better.

Spencerm24, thank you! That helps a lot. But if that is the case, then may I please ask a different question? Where might the bottlenecks be in my existing system, if I upgrade the storage to .m2 NVMe?

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 motherboard (supports NVMe .m2 storage)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Storage: Upgraded to 3x NVMe .m2 1TB SSD

With upgraded storage, could I perhaps live stream, with maybe 2 NDIHX cameras, and also record a backup? (And do you have a guess how many vMix calls this rig might support if I upgraded the storage?)

ask  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:49:16 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nazarene Israel Go to Quoted Post

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

With upgraded storage, could I perhaps live stream, with maybe 2 NDIHX cameras, and also record a backup? (And do you have a guess how many vMix calls this rig might support if I upgraded the storage?)

This is an older machine obviously....so the best thing to do is download the free trial https://www.vmix.com/software/download.aspx and test, test, then test......

Otherwise we are all just guessing. There are too many variables with what you are attempting to be able to give you a definitive answer.

Generally you can't go wrong if you follow the vMix reccomendations as a minimum spec.
Nazarene Israel  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:59:34 AM(UTC)
Nazarene Israel

Chile

Originally Posted by: ask Go to Quoted Post

This is an older machine obviously....so the best thing to do is download the free trial https://www.vmix.com/software/download.aspx and test, test, then test......

Otherwise we are all just guessing. There are too many variables with what you are attempting to be able to give you a definitive answer.

Generally you can't go wrong if you follow the vMix reccomendations as a minimum spec.

Ask, thanks. Yes, this machine is almost 3 years old. Only, it will cost @$227 a stick to add NVMe memory before I can test. So I was hoping someone might have a similar machine, who could answer this. (And if not I will probably save my money for a new build.)
ask  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:24:05 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Ask, thanks. Yes, this machine is almost 3 years old. Only, it will cost @$227 a stick to add NVMe memory before I can test. So I was hoping someone might have a similar machine, who could answer this. (And if not I will probably save my money for a new build.)

Lots of users have older machines that work well. As I said download the trial and test! It has more than enough memory atm.
Nazarene Israel  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:55:08 PM(UTC)
Nazarene Israel

Chile

Lots of users have older machines that work well. As I said download the trial and test! It has more than enough memory atm.

Ask, sorry. I meant to say NVMe Storage (not memory). I plan to upgrade the Storage to NVMe and then test. Because if this will do what I need I can put the new build off for a little bit.
ask  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 7:59:21 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

All good. Let us know how the testing goes! :-)