logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ario  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 6:03:31 AM(UTC)
Ario

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I'd like to suggest clarifying the wording in the box under Settings, namely in Settings/NDI.

It took me (too) long to pinpoint why my stream had a video delay;
it turned out, I picked my delay input as the Output under 1. Output, which I did because I needed it as NDI on our Led wall in the arena.

I realized (too) late that 1. Output refers to the live stream, and that it should normally be left at 'Output' and not be set to a specific input.

Somehow, a (much) clearer link between the term 1. Output and that being essentially the streaming output seems desirable.

While we're at it ... maybe also reconsider the terms External and External 2, I am totally confused by what they do, let alone their 4 checkboxes (vMix video / streaming etc.).

It feels like we just have too many terms, all referring to some kind of output:
- output
- full screen
- external (if i click on the cog for External in the lower bar, I get Output/NDI and! External)
- stream

Thanks for considering this input & keep up the very very very good work guys !
DWAM  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 7:56:53 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
vMix is a software that provides hundreds of features, some having slight but important differences.

Reading the manual helps a lot to clarify. It is very clear and explains perfectly all important things to know and understand.
It sounds boring to RTFM, but ... it helps...

https://www.vmix.com/help21/SettingsOutputs.html

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
Ario on 10/28/2018(UTC)
Ario  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:12:45 AM(UTC)
Ario

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I just saw that at the very right, there is a 'description' that indicates that 1. Output is used for the stream.

And as so often before Guillaume, you are right ;-)
Still, as you probably understand, in practice sometimes there is not enough time (or rather, alertness of mind) to search through the manual, so I still promote improving the wording of '1. Output'.
Specifically, putting the description that is now on the right in a light font, at the left in a bold font would clear up the possible confusion instantly.
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2018 3:15:51 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
In practise, I understand that it's difficult to check the manual while in production. If you need it in production, it's too late. That's why it's important to read it and study most of it BEFORE going in production where btw you're supposed to master your tools.

Guillaume