logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:08:48 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Just bought a small form factor acer with AMD A10 5700 quad core and AMD radeon HD 766oD on board.

I have tossed out the wireless card and now have two PICe slots (small) where I will put in an avermedia card (HDMI and VGA) and a mini BM recorder card (SDI and HDMI - in the mail).

The system comes with windows 8. When trying to record in MPEG I get the message that this is not possible with this version of win8.

Do I have to upgrade to win8 pro ?? and get a media pack for MPEG recording or is there an other way ?? What kind of codecs can I install to get this working.

Also tested MP4 recording (avi, wmv and MP4 I can record with this version of win 8) This works fine: I get a CPU load of about 40%: that's great. Maybe some sound sync issues but I will test this again and report back.

Please let me know about the mpeg codec to use...

cheers,
Stefan
sontoloyo  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:17:47 AM(UTC)
sontoloyo

Man
Malaysia

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
h2video.nl wrote:
Hi Martin,

Just bought a small form factor acer with AMD A10 5700 quad core and AMD radeon HD 766oD on board.

I have tossed out the wireless card and now have two PICe slots (small) where I will put in an avermedia card (HDMI and VGA) and a mini BM recorder card (SDI and HDMI - in the mail).

The system comes with windows 8. When trying to record in MPEG I get the message that this is not possible with this version of win8.

Do I have to upgrade to win8 pro ?? and get a media pack for MPEG recording or is there an other way ?? What kind of codecs can I install to get this working.

Also tested MP4 recording (avi, wmv and MP4 I can record with this version of win 8) This works fine: I get a CPU load of about 40%: that's great. Maybe some sound sync issues but I will test this again and report back.

Please let me know about the mpeg codec to use...

cheers,
Stefan

This problem has been discussed

http://forums.vmix.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=589
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:05:56 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi martin,

i am aware of this topic. the issue is: you have to upgrade to win 8 pro first and then install the media pack. costs more than half the pc, about 160 euro's.

it would be cheaper to downgrade to win 7....

but i understand there is no alternative, when using a basic win8 version? you have to get win 8 pro and install this pack... is that so?

stefan
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 7:01:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Yes, vMix depends on what codecs are available within Windows.
In Windows 8 Microsoft chose to remove MPEG-2 encoding support from standard releases and include it only with the media center pack.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
macjaeger  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:03:58 PM(UTC)
macjaeger

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
There have to be different codec options, especially for a long-known format like mpeg2. Have you tried FFDShow-Codec?
Charssay  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2013 6:12:32 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
admin wrote:
Yes, vMix depends on what codecs are available within Windows.
In Windows 8 Microsoft chose to remove MPEG-2 encoding support from standard releases and include it only with the media center pack.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

It will be better to have an option to choose our own codec. Even if the Microsoft MPG Codec is good, but it is not the better MPG Codec in the market
As you did for the AVI where we can choose, better will be the sam with the MPG Codec.
Downgrade a PC can cost, Buy the MCE pack cost also, even if its only 10 euro ..

Thanks
h2video.nl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:21:40 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

hi martin,
i have downloaded and installed some codec pack like cccp. i understand windows media pack will use these codecs aswell. since i dont have this on my basic system i thought these codecs might be an alternative. but no effect.

is it an idea for a feature request to add more codec support to vmix as an alternative to using only the indows supplied?

i have resolved the mp4 recording issues: the latency and drift in the recording are due to the player used. still i notice a difference in recording mp4 using win8 and win7. filesize is different etc. could this be thevresult f different native codecs in windows? where can. adjust settings and options?

greetings
stefan
admin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:20:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Use of 3rd party codecs is a complicated process with various licensing and compatibility issues.
With AVI it was a simply process since the codecs all follow the same format.

For other formats like MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 etc they all do things differently and it would be difficult to support them.

In Windows 8, Microsoft improved the MP4 encoders, so recordings are closer to the bitrate selected in vMix then they are in Windows 7.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:42:44 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

ok so I upgraded win 8 to win 8 pro and installed the media center. now i can record again using mpeg2 codec.

the reason and bennefit for using this mpeg2 format is that i can cut it into peaces very quickly. i record lectures and meetings and that kind of events and normally record for 1 to 2 hours in a row. after that i will cut up the event in separate lectures or presentations and upload to youtube.

using mp4 will result in a smaller file, but cutting it up takes a lot of time... A mpeg2 file of 2 hours i can cut up in 4 to 6 peaces in less than 2 minutes.

because i record for internet use i don't focus too much on quality of the file in terms of cinematographic arguments. reliability and ease of work and quick 'what you see is what you recorded for two hours' is what i need.

anyway i understand windows media centre itself will use available codecs when installed. i don't know if this is true and where i can check this. If so will this affect Vmix recording or does Vmix simply only use the native win media center provided codec.

i record in mpeg2 at 720p25 pal at 8 mbit ( minimum).

so just to complete this quest and conclude this thread ...

greetings
stefan