logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chrisis  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2018 11:20:26 PM(UTC)
chrisis

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Issue: When Instant Replay is recording, playback of replay events is at very poor quality. Sound and video stutters. When IR isn't recording, playback from the previous Replay recording is fine.

Is this a configuration issue, or do I need to upgrade something?

My hardware:

Dual Xeon e5-2630v2 (12 cores @2.6Ghz)
16 GB RAM
Radeon R7 360 2GB gfx
SSD1: OS only
SSD2: vMix app + input source (screen graphics etc are on this SSD)
SSD3: Dedicated Replay (only IR written or read from here)

- The SSDs are all on their own/separate buses.
- Instant Replay is capturing only 1 camera (a BM Decklink SDI input) @ 50Mbps
- Project is 1080p59.94

For completeness, when I play back from IR, I have a PiP of the current live action overlayed on the Output as seen here:
UserPostedImage
chrisis  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2018 11:28:49 PM(UTC)
chrisis

Worth pointing out: when IR is recording, other aspects of my production are affected as well. For example, if I played the show opener while IR was recording, I also got audio and video playback stuttering. And my stinger also stutters, very badly. So for all aspects of my production to remain smooth I actually have to turn off IR recording.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:42:00 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Quote:
Radeon R7 360 2GB gfx

Minimum requirements for Instant Replay (from the vMix User Guide)

1 Channel HD = NVIDIA 950 1GB

4 Channels HD = NVIDIA 960 2GB

vMix is optimized to use NVIDIA cards. Do you have one available to install in your system?
corporatejames  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:59:31 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Its recommend to have GTX 1060 - 1080ti when running 4 camera for replay and doing gaming is normally @ 1080p60
chrisis  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 5:19:42 AM(UTC)
chrisis

Thanks for the replies... yeh comparing gtx960 with the r7 I have and the gtx960 looks to have 50% more grunt. Plus I have a 3440x1440 monitor plugged into it.

I've got a gtx960 with 4GB RAM in another PC I will pull out and test with. Will report back once tested.
chrisis  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 10:25:15 PM(UTC)
chrisis

Right, I've installed a 1070ti with 8GB of RAM and I'm still having the issue. In fact... even without Replay recording on, I'm looking at a GPU overloaded warning in the bottom left of my vMix window.

In fact, if I switch between inputs using my Stinger (a 90-frame png sequence) I can see FPS dropping down to 49fps for the duration.

This doesn't make sense to me. I've got good hardware and I'm getting terrible performance!

btw I've tried switching "High Input performance mode" on and off. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
sinc747  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 12:56:49 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Just curious... what other software is running besides vMix?

- Tom
admin  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2018 4:03:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Sounds like there is some other software interfering.
Run the vMix Diagnostics from the start menu to identify the culprit.
lbgaus  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 3:37:44 PM(UTC)
lbgaus

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to piggyback off of this forum posting, because I am basically seeing the same problem on a new rig I started building this week. My first Instant Replay rig actually... I started using vMix in 2013 and love it to death, but never seemed to have a wish to use the Instant Replay functions until now...

Similarly to chrisis, I really only start to notice a problem when recording and playing back simultaneously in a 2-camera instant replay scenario. My best guess right now is that my storage is somehow being a bottleneck, although I have a very fast SSD dedicated to Instant Replay storage. I also managed to find a reproducable Replay UI interface bug that I will share later in this post.

My hardware is as follows:
Asus Z10PA-D8 server motherboard
2x Xeon E5-2620v4 quad core @ 2.10GHz
Intel SSD 750 Series SSDPEDMW400G4R5 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 NVM disk (for replay only)
NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti
Cameras being recorded are 2 NDI network sources inside my LAN
Project & Replay settings are 1920x1080p 59.94
vMix 21.0.0.56 x64

My total CPU usage is ~30% when running vMix with the replay recording & playing. Render times hover between 4-12ms. In the statistics window, the "Source Dropped" climbs about 5 frames per second. I have relay channel A & B set to camera 1, and if I switch channel B to camera 2, the stuttering/dropped frames gets worse. I've already run the vMix Diagnostics tool and it found no issues with running programs.

UserPostedImage

I was considering buying a GTX 1080 card, but given the results by chrisis, I feel like I want to hold off for now since my render times aren't high and thus don't feel that would help this problem.

I'm definitely hoping to find a solution to the dropped frames when playing out, I feel like this disk is plenty fast.

UserPostedImage

Additionally, a separate issue mentioned above, I found some funky behavior when adding the 2 NDI cameras to the replay settings screen. If I add them and specify 25Mbps recording, the 2 replay inputs are created successfully, but when I hit record I get this error...

UserPostedImage

And the instant replay controller shows no input information...

UserPostedImage

If I go back to the Replay Settings and change it to 100Mbps (for example), then the input information appears and the recording begins properly. I can even change it back to 25Mbps at this point and no recording error is seen.

UserPostedImage

Thanks to those who have replied to my earlier threads, and thanks Martin for continuing to update and support a great product.
admin  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 10:27:13 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi,

Unfortunately the CPU in that build is not fast enough:

2x Xeon E5-2620v4 quad core @ 2.10GHz

vMix Replay requires at least 3.4Ghz per core as per the system requirements:

https://www.vmix.com/hel.../SystemRequirements.html

Each playback channel uses only a single core.
(For a number of reasons, including not interfering with the recording, it is not possible to change this)

Regards,

Martin
vMix
lbgaus  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:15:22 PM(UTC)
lbgaus

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the information, I didn't realize the replay threads were single core/threaded, and figured the 32 cores would be sufficient to have everything run smoothly.

Thanks for your time.
kevev  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 5:00:46 PM(UTC)
kevev

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I am having the exact same issue where I get studdering in replay and 20-34ms render times when performing replay. The 34ms happens with the stinger in and out sequence. We do life American Football broadcasts and this starts to happen in the 3rd & 4th quarter. CPU utilization is the same as the others report.

Here are our specs:

i7-8700K
32GB Ballistix Elite 8GB x 4xsticks DDR4 @ 2600mhz

1x Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1TB for OS+vMix

2x Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SSDs in raid0 (striping).

MSI GeForce GTX1060 Gaming X 6G 6GB in 1st PCIe-x16 slot

MSI Z370 Gaming m5 Motherboard

BlackMagic Design Decklink Quad 2 in 2nd PCIe-x16 slot

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe Network Adapter in 3rd PCIe-x16 slot

We use 5 sdi cameras at 1080p59.94fps. 4 replay inputs at 100mbps
sinc747  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 6:13:41 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
In double checking the vMix specs for Instant Replay (Ruby - 8 Cameras with 4 Camera Instant Replay), the specs do not identify whether the frame rate is 25/30fps or 50/60fps. Big difference!

- Tom
lbgaus  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 9:13:19 PM(UTC)
lbgaus

kevev wrote:
I am having the exact same issue where I get studdering in replay and 20-34ms render times when performing replay. The 34ms happens with the stinger in and out sequence. We do life American Football broadcasts and this starts to happen in the 3rd & 4th quarter. CPU utilization is the same as the others report.

Here are our specs:

Hi kevev, how are you performing your RAID0 stripe? Onboard RAID? Windows RAID? What does the Blackmagic Disk Speed test do with your replay drive?

Also, where is your stinger stored on the disk? Martin would know for sure but I think stingers are loaded into RAM, so if that is being slow you might have slow memory at 2600MHz
kevev  
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2018 2:51:20 PM(UTC)
kevev

lbgaus wrote:
kevev wrote:

Here are our specs:

Hi kevev, how are you performing your RAID0 stripe? Onboard RAID? Windows RAID? What does the Blackmagic Disk Speed test do with your replay drive?

Also, where is your stinger stored on the disk? Martin would know for sure but I think stingers are loaded into RAM, so if that is being slow you might have slow memory at 2600MHz

Onboard RAID. Blackmagic Disk Speed test shows about 700mbps write 900mbps read. Stinger is on C:\ drive.
admin  
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2018 10:46:38 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

High render times usually indicate vMix has more inputs than the system can handle.
If you have lots of video clips added, consider moving them to a list.

Also if your graphics card has 3GB+ of memory you can enable High Input Performance mode in Settings -> Performance.

SSD drive speeds are usually not a concern for replay, and raid is unnecessary.
4x HD @ 200Mbps is a grand total of 100MBytes/sec well below the average write speed of modern SSDs

Regards,

Martin
vMix
kevev  
#17 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2018 7:58:20 PM(UTC)
kevev

admin wrote:
High render times usually indicate vMix has more inputs than the system can handle.
If you have lots of video clips added, consider moving them to a list.

Also if your graphics card has 3GB+ of memory you can enable High Input Performance mode in Settings -> Performance.

SSD drive speeds are usually not a concern for replay, and raid is unnecessary.
4x HD @ 200Mbps is a grand total of 100MBytes/sec well below the average write speed of modern SSDs

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Total inputs is 50. Graphics card specs are posted earlier by me. We havr that High Input Prrformance mode enabled. Broadcasting a game now and in 2nd quarter. Having same issue. Rander times 20-40ms with replay. Is the RAM too slow as someone suggested earlier? I need to know what to purchase to fix our issue. Here are screenshots of our system performance right now:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
admin  
#18 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:10:41 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Some steps to try:

1. Reduce the number of inputs to just the capture and replay and see if that changes the result.
2. Run the vMix Diagnostics app in the start menu to see if there is another app interfering.
3. Make sure the Quad 2 is in the port marked "4" on that particular motherboard and the GPU in port "1".
kevev  
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2018 5:33:27 AM(UTC)
kevev

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Some steps to try:

1. Reduce the number of inputs to just the capture and replay and see if that changes the result.
2. Run the vMix Diagnostics app in the start menu to see if there is another app interfering.
3. Make sure the Quad 2 is in the port marked "4" on that particular motherboard and the GPU in port "1".

After lots of troubleshooting I have resolved the issue! The image sequences is what caused the high render times. We have 3.5GB worth of PNG images. The quality was way to high for our system to handle. We converted them to quicktime videos with alpha channel. Also changed from 59.94fps to 29.97fps since we broadcast and record at 29.97fps. This allowed the system to recover from high render times quicker. Replay is still recorded at 59.94fps so that we can have smooth replay. Thank You Martin for for the help! (Sick beard bruh!)
ryanlehms  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2023 10:54:35 PM(UTC)
ryanlehms

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I ran into this issue as well and couldn't find the thing that fixed it for me anywhere in these forums, so here's a suggestion for anyone else who stumbles across this post as I did:

https://forums.vmix.com/...o-many-frames#post110012