logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MachWon  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 8:18:42 PM(UTC)
MachWon

Groups: Registered

Hello all,

I noticed on a program I was producing recently (vMix 20.xx with 2 remote guests [Zoom] and no cameras) that my CPU usage was hovering around 60% and total usage kept pegging out at 100%. This of course caused several issues, with audio, Zoom connection/freezing, and severe frame dropping in the livestream and recording. In testing for the follow up session, I noticed it was happening again. So, during the hours (and I mean hours) of troubleshooting, updating and settings combinations, I noticed that somehow my Asus Predator Helios 300 (with GTX 1060 6G) had reverted to the on-board Intel 650 graphics.

Ok, that seemed the likely culprit, so I changed the system default to the GeForce and made sure it was the default in vMix. Now, no matter what I do, (the bulk of the "hours") I cannot view any NDI local desktop sources. Mind you, I am running Zoom on the same machine and have been doing so for quite some time, previously, with no issues.

Now I have already upgraded to vMix 21.0.0.56, the latest nVidia drivers (411.xx), the latest Zoom (no idea of version), even Newtek drivers, and although I can still revert back to the 560 graphics and can view and use local desktop capture sources, it doesn't matter what settings I select, or deselect, of the vMix; frame rates, low latency, high performance, Optics graphics or Zooms' enable HD or hardware acceleration. I only get a blank input using the 1060. This includes static desktop items such as the Zoom control panel, which I always end up seeing as a source because it shows up in the "Desktop Capture" input right-click as it is simply labeled as another Zoom number choice.

Any ideas?

Win10
16G RAM
i7-7700HQ
GeForce 1060 - 6M
mavik  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:23:45 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 147 post(s)
For me, vMix is not good with NDI when running with a restricted user. Running vMix as admin there is no issue. Maybe you can try that explicitely as well.
MachWon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:20:52 AM(UTC)
MachWon

Unfortunately, I am running vMix as an administrator.
MachWon  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:58:59 AM(UTC)
MachWon

Oh, and the on-board graphics is actually the Intel HD 630, not the 650 or 560. That really doesn't matter though, I have the I have the GTX1060, I should to be able to use it.

Please help, I have another show Thurs.
MachWon  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:24:18 AM(UTC)
MachWon

More info:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
MachWon  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:40:19 AM(UTC)
MachWon

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 1:27:02 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
What happens when you share the entire display vs just one application? Historically, there have been issues when trying to share just an application window where hardware acceleration was involved. Sharing the entire display typically overcame that problem.

In one case this drove me to add another monitor to a computer. One that could be dedicated to sharing just the desired application.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
monamiga on 11/17/2018(UTC)
MachWon  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 5:00:49 PM(UTC)
MachWon

To my utter amazement, that worked! Awesome!

Of course, the source doesn't have to be full screen in my case, any size window works, but just as long as it's on a second monitor.

Wow, I never would have thought that would work. Thanks!

UserPostedImage
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 11:19:11 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
This has been true in many cases for a long while. It has to do with how the application window is displayed. Some methods cannot capture a window that uses hardware acceleration, but they can capture the whole screen.

This has been true for PowerPoint forever.
MachWon  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2018 10:54:00 PM(UTC)
MachWon

I don't know why I've never heard of it. In the past, I have had trouble capturing from a Mac (and occasionally a PC) running vMix capture, usually for power points. I wonder if this is the reason.

Gonna run a few tests on that one. Thanks