logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seb666  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 8:40:31 AM(UTC)
seb666

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Hi Forum,

I'm planning for a live stream out of an operating room in a hospital. Because the doors are closed of course and the vMix system has to be out of the clean area, I want to do it via NDI. The operating room has plenty of ethernet ports available. Two Panasonic PTZs and a Connect Spark for the connection of an endoscope are available. The remaining problem is the audio from and to the surgeon himself. My idea was, that he uses a Jabra Bluetooth headset while doing the surgery. He needs to answer questions, which will be asked in a conference room nearby. If I could connect the headset over LAN to my vMix system, it would be a possible solution.

I had a USB over LAN adaptor years ago and tried to connect a webcam, which wasn't working. So I want to ask if anyone has experience with such kind of connection?

I thought of an adaptor like this one: https://www.amazon.com/S...-DS0611-S1/dp/B00DQDSK0U

Any idea to solve this, also of course different solutions are welcome.

Regards
Seb

mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 11:00:06 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Bluetooth has limited range. You'd be better off using a DECT headset. I do this all the time.

The DECT wireless link can reach 200-300 ft. It also operates on frequencies in the 1.9 GHZ band, so it doesn't interact with Wi-Fi.

A good DECT headset will connect to a PC via USB. That means that you can connect it directly to your streaming PC.

You can avoid the LAN entirely. This is desirable because putting it on the network will add delay.

Also, DECT supports HDVoice using G.722, which is a better grade of audio than some BT headsets. It's 150 Hz - 7 Khz. Better than a basic phone call, but not as good a a real microphone. Pretty good for voice in general.

I just read about the new Sennheiser SDW5000, which supports "super-wideband" audio. That's 150 Hz - 12 KHz. That's the best audio performance of any wireless headset that combines both the microphone and monitoring.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
seb666 on 8/11/2018(UTC)
seb666  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 11:34:38 AM(UTC)
seb666

Man

Because of the limited range, I want to plug the Bluetoth Stick into the LAN adaptor and both (headset as sender and the receiver) are suited in the operating room. Some latency wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the DECT input, but I don't think the streaming PC will be in range for DECT either. I will be suited in another floor of the building and there will be multiple walls between the surgeon and me.
mjgraves  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 1:09:41 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
seb666 wrote:
Because of the limited range, I want to plug the Bluetoth Stick into the LAN adaptor and both (headset as sender and the receiver) are suited in the operating room. Some latency wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the DECT input, but I don't think the streaming PC will be in range for DECT either. I will be suited in another floor of the building and there will be multiple walls between the surgeon and me.

I doubt you can connect the BT to the LAN directly. You can run something on a host in the operating theater that streams the audio over the network.

I'd recommend VoiceMeeter Banana for Windows. OTOH, vMix itself can stream audio over NDI to another instance of vMix.

Also, be careful that you get wideband audio from the BT headset. Many still only deliver narrowband, which is going to sound muffled like an old-school phone line.
seb666  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 4:21:06 PM(UTC)
seb666

Man

mjgraves wrote:
I doubt you can connect the BT to the LAN directly. You can run something on a host in the operating theater that streams the audio over the network.

That's exactly the purpose of these little boxes: provide a USB connector in the LAN and make it available on a computer in the same network via some drivers.

But I already have a Plan B: using an Android smartphone with Team Talk and a cable headset. That's made for use in LAN / Wifi.
ThomasK  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 6:45:05 PM(UTC)
ThomasK

Man
Austria

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
So far it should work based on their tests: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/usb-over-ethernet/

But bluetooth dongles are picky from my experience at least with Windows. For such an scenario I would more trust your plan B then going via Bluetooth, even when it would be connected without usb-over-ethernet.
thanks 1 user thanked ThomasK for this useful post.
seb666 on 8/12/2018(UTC)
elvis55  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 11, 2018 7:57:20 PM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hallo,

TeamSpeak ??

Gruss
seb666  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 5:43:22 AM(UTC)
seb666

Man

elvis55 wrote:
Hallo,

TeamSpeak ??

Gruss

What's better in TeamSpeak than in Team Talk?