logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cpilcher  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2018 12:51:18 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I have come across a bit of a problem and need some advice on how to work through this.

My PC has 2 Network Ports. I use a Linksys router plugged into one that has no internet connection, but drives my “Production LAN” WiFi for Tally Lights through vMix.

The 2nd port is used for Internet connection for streaming online to my CDN.

I want the webcontroller address to be fixed to the Production Lan but occasionally (actually more often than not) the IP gets attached to the Internet connection and I lose the ability to access the webcontroller through my devices.

Is there a way to specify which connection to use?

Or is my current work around the best option... I currently disconnect the Internet connected cable and start VMix with the Router connected. The IP from the Linksys router is used for webcontroller and all is good. After that I connect the Internet connected cable and wait to start the stream.

The problem with this is any restart of vMix has to be handled this way and even I Myself have started the stream accidentally before making these adjustments and once I’m Live I am left without tally and other webcontroller access.

Thanks.
ktakyi  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:39:36 PM(UTC)
ktakyi

Asign a static ip to your web controller device from production network
Example:
Production network ip range
192.168.1.1 -254

Internet network ip range
192.168.0.1-254.

Change your dhcp settings to static and assign IP address from one of the ip range from your production server.
Alternatively, you can go to wireless settings of the web controller device and highlight the internet Wireless SSID and chose forget.
Once you do that the device cannot log into the internet wireless network.

Thanks
Kwame
Cpilcher  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:11:27 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks for the reply. I’m not having trouble with my devices getting on the wrong network. I am having trouble with vMix taking the Internet connected IP Range.

For instance.
Stream broadcasts over LAN on 10.1.10.101. This is the connection that vMix Web Controller prefers to connect to.

My “Production” WiFi is on 192.168.1.102. This is my private WAN I want vMix to connect to and use for Web Controller.

I do have a static IP range that I use for my private connection. And I can set it to not conflict with any other connections if need be, but I would like to find a way to have vMix prefer my private WAN.

Maybe I’m not understanding your advice either. So I am open to further suggestions.

Thanks
quinte  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:42:19 AM(UTC)
quinte

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Cpilcher wrote:
I want the webcontroller address to be fixed to the Production Lan but occasionally (actually more often than not) the IP gets attached to the Internet connection and I lose the ability to access the webcontroller through my devices.

Is there a way to specify which connection to use?

Thanks.

That is not necessary.

Important is the port number to adress the vMix webcontroller.
To adress the computer which host vMix you can use the ip which the lan ports are configered.

By example your computer have follow lan adapter configurations:

Lan adapter 1
static Ip 192.168.1.102

Lan adapter 2 (with internet)
dhcp assigned ip 10.1.10.101

vMix web controller shows http://10.1.10.101:8088

If your client computer work in the ip subnet 10.1.10.xxx
use http://10.1.10.101:8088
or use http://192.168.1.102:8088 if your client computer work in the other ip subnet 192.168.1.xxx in equivalent way.

Alex

Cpilcher  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:34:44 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks Alex,

I still must be missing a piece of the puzzle here... on my vMix PC under Web Controller in settings it displays the IP address used to connect to the host. That is the IP I need to change in order to make the connection to my host PC from my tally devices (Android Phones).

My Tally devices are always connected to “Production” WiFi (Linksys Router), but vMix only broadcasts over the Web Controller IP which does not stay tied to my Production network address.

desmar  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:05:08 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
You have to make sure port 8088 is open on the network,
I would use a port sniffer like http://www.advanced-port-scanner.com/
and re-assign it to an open port.

Cpilcher wrote:
Thanks Alex,

I still must be missing a piece of the puzzle here... on my vMix PC under Web Controller in settings it displays the IP address used to connect to the host. That is the IP I need to change in order to make the connection to my host PC from my tally devices (Android Phones).

My Tally devices are always connected to “Production” WiFi (Linksys Router), but vMix only broadcasts over the Web Controller IP which does not stay tied to my Production network address.

Cpilcher  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:16:14 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks Desmar, the ports are open though. vMix is grabbing the wrong IP range... I must be over complicating this or I’m not using the correct terminology. I will try to post a video this evening with my problem and maybe it will make more sense. I appreciate the feedback.

Or maybe I’m going the wrong way with this, now that I’m thinking about it. Should I run the venue LAN (Internet) connection into my wireless router and use that instead of running a separate independent network for Tally and web controller. That would eliminate the need for 2 connections and ensure vMix maintains the same IP range on restart.

ktakyi  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:09:50 PM(UTC)
ktakyi

ktakyi wrote:
Asign a static ip to your web controller device from production network
Example:
Production network ip range
192.168.1.1 -254

Internet network ip range
192.168.0.1-254.

Change your dhcp settings to static and assign IP address from one of the ip range from your production server.
Alternatively, you can go to wireless settings of the web controller device and highlight the internet Wireless SSID and chose forget.
Once you do that the device cannot log into the internet wireless network.

Thanks
Kwame

pls check these links
https://www.makeuseof.co...ons-forcebindip-windows/
https://www.raymond.cc/b...dapter-with-forcebindip/
Cpilcher  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:51:21 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Thanks for those links. But forcing my production IP may remove my streaming (internet) capabilities from the other network.

I think I am over-complicating things however and will be testing tonight. I will just attach the venue Internet Connection to my router and then broadcast from there. The plus side is I will be able to provide a secure internet connection to my commentators, which they usually struggle to get setup on their own. So so will be trying a single connection instead of a second independent Private WiFi.
DWAM  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 12:31:59 PM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
If vMix is connected to 2 networks and has 2 IPs + correct routing table, it will answer to requests coming from these 2 lans. Just use the correct port for WebController and make sure the firewall does not interfere.

Guillaume
Cpilcher  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 3:58:42 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

I don’t think this is the case. I had devices set for the specific IP and port (8088) but vMix broadcasts on the wrong IP range. I only “had” WiFi on my static 192.168 range but vMix was showing the 10.1 IP range from the Internet Lan of the venue (in webcontroller). I’m vacationing now, but still plan on simplifying things and connecting the venue Lan to my WiFi router so I only have 1 IP address to worry about.

DWAM, I know you are very knowledgeable about VMix. But doesn’t the IP range listed under the webcontroller in settings determine how I would connect my devices? If on my tablet, I connect to “Production” WiFi (example: 192.168.1.102:8088) but vMix has decided the web controller IP address is 10.1.10.100:8088... my devices, which are connected to a router on another IP cannot find the connection.

Just trying to clear my head with the workflow. I do tend to over complicate things.
ask  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 8:28:48 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Cpilcher wrote:
I don’t think this is the case. I had devices set for the specific IP and port (8088) but vMix broadcasts on the wrong IP range. I only “had” WiFi on my static 192.168 range but vMix was showing the 10.1 IP range from the Internet Lan of the venue (in webcontroller). I’m vacationing now, but still plan on simplifying things and connecting the venue Lan to my WiFi router so I only have 1 IP address to worry about.

DWAM, I know you are very knowledgeable about VMix. But doesn’t the IP range listed under the webcontroller in settings determine how I would connect my devices? If on my tablet, I connect to “Production” WiFi (example: 192.168.1.102:8088) but vMix has decided the web controller IP address is 10.1.10.100:8088... my devices, which are connected to a router on another IP cannot find the connection.

Just trying to clear my head with the workflow. I do tend to over complicate things.

As mentioned before (I think 3 times above), simply use the ip address with the correct port for the subnet the client machine is on. vMix will only show one of your NICs but all will work if they have been allocated a valid address. Think of the vMix machine as the hub of a star and each network as a spoke. The outlying machines will always be able to see the hub down their spoke.

Cpilcher  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2018 10:12:02 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Maybe 1 more time and I’ll understand... :-) Thanks for your patience.
JAIRODJ  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 12:32:44 PM(UTC)
JAIRODJ

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I understand what he says.
You want vmix to link to IP 192.168.1.102 to control by web controller.
that is, how would it be done to tell vMix to which specific network it should connect and not automatically to 192.168.1.101.

Now I have a somewhat similar inconvenience.
it turns out that vMix is taking an IP that no longer exists, from an old router (192.168.203.1) and does not recognize the current 192.168.1.103.
How would vMix be updated to the new IP

Greetings.
stuartdeankites  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 1:02:22 PM(UTC)
stuartdeankites

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

I think Vmix may be "reporting availability" on the old IP address but may not actually be using it. A machine can have more than one IP address and as reported in previous posts even though the Vmix web controller shows just one can be used on any of the valid addresses it has by a device in the appropriate subnets on the networks. I suspect that one of the network cards has either been given the old address as a fixed one - or has not received a new lease from the DHCP controller on the new network.

From a command prompt you can see what address(s) the machine has by issuing the command IPCONFIG /ALL

Hope this helps

Stuart