logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
imagebotique  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 3, 2013 8:31:29 PM(UTC)
imagebotique

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have not yet purchased a license of Vmix, (I am in the process of specing and ordering parts to dedicate as a portable switcher running Vmix) If I had a PC to run it on I would run the demo but I have a Mac platform currently. I am not exactly clear on what the Video Delay/Instant Replay is capable of in Vmix. I can assume that it can buffer the Program out and is capable of generating instant replay clips to immediately send to program or name and save for later. What is unclear is if with a powerful enough machine and fast enough hardware can I set up a instant replay feed not only from the program out or 1 camera source but from several different camera sources. I believe that the default way the instant replay is generated is via a Ram drive (this would not have the capacity to hold much from multiple sources) but I would expect that what I am asking about would require buffering to something like a Raid or a SSD with fast read/write speeds dedicated to each camera where instant replay is desired. If this is possible VMix is undeniable capable of playing on equal ground with a Tricaster 855 and 3Play system with a total cost of around $60,000.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 1:14:59 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I can confirm that I have successfully run video Delay on two SD cameras, camera 2 on delay buffer for Instant Replay (about 13 second delay), and camera 1 (main) for saved clips.
i7 950 24GB Ram 470GTX 2TB HD.
This has run very smoothly and I assume is capable of more, but I have not had the resources to test beyond 2 SD cameras.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
imagebotique on 8/4/2013(UTC)
imagebotique  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 2:23:51 PM(UTC)
imagebotique

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks IceStream.

This functionality was not going to hold me up from building a machine and buying a license of Vmix but the capability of producing replays from multiple cameras is going to influence my hardware some as I may now add a couple small SSDs in the event I would like to replay from program and 1 or 2 other cameras giving them each their own drive to write to. I am shooting for a soccer team and I can replay my wide camera and maybe a fieldside camera for closeup replay of goals.

Watch out ESPN!!!!
Grimble  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 4, 2013 5:36:35 PM(UTC)
Grimble

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It basically depends on the amount of RAM you have. I've run with 2x 1080p inputs both with a 30 second delay and a 30 second delay on the output with 16GB of RAM. Each 30 second delay @ 1080p30 is about 3.5GB of RAM.

I've noticed that there is some jerkiness and freezing in the application when I save clips, this could be due to the slow HDD I'm using though.
thanks 1 user thanked Grimble for this useful post.
imagebotique on 8/5/2013(UTC)