logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
seerola  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:42:49 PM(UTC)
seerola

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a camera coming via an SDI line with two mics. I plan to use the camera internal mic for the "event background audio" and the camera has additionally an interview mic with a cable in XLR. I get both channels into vMix OK and see them correctly in the Audio/"Pre levels". As output mix I'd like to get the background sound on both L&R and also get the interview in L&R but I want to control the level of the channels separately (Interview mic is off when not in interview).
I have the channel as "SeparateMono" and the default channel matrix works ok, but that routes interview to left and background to right only.
When I choose in the channel matrix both channels to go L + R then I loose the volume control of the right channel. The left channel starts to control the overall level of the audio. If the channel matrix is not the default values this change of behaviour happends even changing the bus A channel mappings.

Is this a bug, feature or just a user error?

I'm using version 21.0.0.43

-severi
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:21:41 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I've just done test (see attached image) and it seems to work as you would want it to. Independent control of L/R inputs, on two volume faders, but each input appearing "mono'd" onto the main LR master output. I'm using an 8-ch NDI source, but it should work the same with a 2-ch camera input.
I've selected "Separate Mono" channels in the General settings, which has given two faders in the mixer panel (bottom right of the image). In the Channel Matrix I have NDI input channel 1 to Master L and channel 2 to Master R. This gives me control of the Ch1 audio on the left-hand fader in the mixer panel, Ch2 on the right-hand fader. In the example image, you can see that there is a signal on both Ch1/2 inputs (on the "Pre" meters) and that, because only the right-hand fader is up, there is only a signal on the right-hand "Post" (fader) meter. However, on the Main Output meters (top left in the image), that Ch-2 input is appearing on both L/R master outputs (mixed into mono, which is what you wanted).

So in Separate Mono mode the Channel Matrix "Master L/R" settings are for selecting which inputs go to the two L/R faders in the mixer panel, and the outputs from those two faders are always "double mono" onto the L&R Main Outputs. The only caveats are that you can only select odd numbered input channels to the L fader, and even numbered channels to the R fader. So, for example, if the two input channels of interest were Ch1 & Ch3, you could route Ch1 to Master L and it will be controlled by the left-hand fader, but if you route Ch 3 to Master R, it won't be controlled by the right-hand fader. It'll actually be mixed with the Ch1 audio with both controlled by the left-hand fader! Could be a bug, could be a feature :)
zenvideo attached the following image(s):
SeparateMono.GIF (291kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.