logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kuddukan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:02:48 PM(UTC)
kuddukan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've got the bandwidth, with some more to spare.

Am I crazy? I feel like I need the higher bitrate (maybe even a little more) to reduce the artifacting from YouTube re-encode. I'm doing 1080p60.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't see a lot of people talking about streaming at bitrates above 6-8 Mbps.
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:55:51 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Check out the various Fun Time Live shows, especially the 4k60 show they did last fall. They always report the stream parameters used in production of the show.
DWAM  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 6:42:26 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
For 1080p60, YT recommends 4.5/9 Mbits. If you're doing fast action, I'd say 8 Mbits is a minimum and up to 12 Mbits for excellent results. Above is useless imho.

If you're experiencing artefacts using these bitrates, it's most likely due to bad encoding settings. Many parameters have a significant impact on image quality. However vMix does not allow natively to tweak all of them when using NVENC (hardware encoder). You can try to switch to CPU encoding or externalize the encoding process to your own NVENC encoding script.

Guillaume
kuddukan  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 11:11:26 AM(UTC)
kuddukan

Thanks for the replies.
I definitely see a big difference in YT quality between 15,000 and 25,000-30,000 kB/s bitrates using NVENC.
I have the bandwidth but now I am seeing errors at that higher level related to the real time buffer. It only starts to happen maybe an hour into the stream.
I haven’t been able to find how to fix this in vMix so probably as you say I would need to get an external scripting to accomplish any of this.
kuddukan  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 7:23:10 PM(UTC)
kuddukan

DWAM wrote:
For 1080p60, YT recommends 4.5/9 Mbits. If you're doing fast action, I'd say 8 Mbits is a minimum and up to 12 Mbits for excellent results. Above is useless imho.

If you're experiencing artefacts using these bitrates, it's most likely due to bad encoding settings. Many parameters have a significant impact on image quality. However vMix does not allow natively to tweak all of them when using NVENC (hardware encoder). You can try to switch to CPU encoding or externalize the encoding process to your own NVENC encoding script.

Guillaume

So, I just successfully did my first ffmpeg stream from Windows Powershell command line. Do you normally launch vMix, start the external out, then launch your scripts for ffmpeg?

Thanks,

kuddukan