logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wleuvering  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:07:47 AM(UTC)
wleuvering

Groups: Registered

This is our current scenario: We want to use NDI to stream the output of vMix to multiple users in a low bandwidth network. The network is a corporate network and we have no control over the bandwidth. We do not want to use Youtube, Facebook or any other streaming solution. The quality is not the issue. It is just to give users to see the show using a NDI monitor.

I've read in a post that the chance of vMix putting out a NDI-Hx is not going to happen... but 100MB is not available. Why not and what could be an alternative?
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:55:20 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
wleuvering wrote:
This is our current scenario: We want to use NDI to stream the output of vMix to multiple users in a low bandwidth network.

NDI is not suitable for your application. End of story.

wleuvering wrote:
I've read in a post that the chance of vMix putting out a NDI-Hx is not going to happen... but 100MB is not available.

NDI|HX requires specific encoding hardware which is not a part of (current) PCs. There is no software HX encoder as part of the NewTek SDK, so it's not just vMix that isn't going to have HX encoding, it's all NDI software apps - unless NewTek introduces support in a future SDK. It is what it is, and it's certainly no fault of vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
mjgraves on 3/14/2018(UTC)
pm  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 4:45:54 PM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Use nginx or mistserver:

https://forums.vmix.com/...aspx?g=posts&t=12185

Regards,
Patrick
kane  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 5:42:46 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
NDI v3 does support multicast, which could work in this situation. However, your network must be configured correctly for multicast operation. You would need to work with your IT department to verify this is the case before you go and start using it. The network requirement in question is that all pf the switches on your network (ALL!) need to support a feature called 'IGMP Snooping'.

If you cannot verify the above, then you would be better off streaming the output.

NDI-HX encoding is only for hardware devices. For software & FPGA devices it is NDI.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
pba  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:53:50 PM(UTC)
pba

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
kane wrote:

NDI-HX encoding is only for hardware devices. For software & FPGA devices it is NDI.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Anyway this is a marketing mistake IMHO. Okay, we have an alternate solution for this, but if NewTek want to push the NDI story, then it's worth rethink this.
mavik  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:04:55 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 146 post(s)
ok, I'm planning something similar. I need the vMix output (thought of using NDI) ditributed to 10 TVs and several NDI monitor clients across the building on a simple gig lan network. Does vMix NDI output support multicast. Or do I need the access manager. What would be a valid approach. Should i use a SDI ditribution or is NDI able to do it on an existing LAN infrastructure.

Thanks
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:14:44 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Sheesh! When you have a hammer in your hand everything looks like a nail, right?

NDI is not a cure all. It's appropriate for use in some production instances. Entirely inappropriate elsewhere.

NDI|HX expands the possible use-cases so dedicated hardware devices can be used to leverage commodity Wi-Fi. Nice, but a niche.

NDI is not a delivery format. Nor is it fundamentally low-bandwidth.

If you don't have the ability to adapt the local network for provide the requisite bandwidth, there are pretty good odds that you don't have the clout to force support for multicast. If it happens to support multicast already, you got lucky.

Finally, Newtek's continued prosperity dopes not hinge upon NDI being a dominant standard. It's already widespread. That fire is lit and won't be going out any time soon. You might not appreciate the entirety of the strategy, but they've been proven to be bright folks. They have their reasons for not pushing NDI|HX everywhere.
thanks 2 users thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
doggy on 3/14/2018(UTC), SportsNetUSA.net on 3/14/2018(UTC)
livepad  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:12:25 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
wleuvering wrote:
This is our current scenario: We want to use NDI to stream the output of vMix to multiple users in a low bandwidth network. The network is a corporate network and we have no control over the bandwidth. We do not want to use Youtube, Facebook or any other streaming solution. The quality is not the issue. It is just to give users to see the show using a NDI monitor.

I've read in a post that the chance of vMix putting out a NDI-Hx is not going to happen... but 100MB is not available. Why not and what could be an alternative?

A *really* easy answer to your question and most likely a great solution is NDI WebLink:

It will forward your NDI sources on demand as low latency streaming JPEG or as higher latency, lower bandwidth HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) - both compatible with almost all devices you are likely to need to view the source on.

You can select the quality of the stream to control bandwidth. If you are limited in bandwidth, and if you want audio, then HLS is likely to be what you need.

You can construct a unique URL to pass to your viewers to connect to the stream.

Runs on a Mac, and only $50 at the moment.

App Store

information
livepad  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:13:28 AM(UTC)
livepad

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 32 post(s)
mavik wrote:
ok, I'm planning something similar. I need the vMix output (thought of using NDI) ditributed to 10 TVs and several NDI monitor clients across the building on a simple gig lan network. Does vMix NDI output support multicast. Or do I need the access manager. What would be a valid approach. Should i use a SDI ditribution or is NDI able to do it on an existing LAN infrastructure.

Thanks

NDI WebLink even works on Smart TVs in the streaming JPEG mode.

mavik  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:43:40 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Quote:

NDI WebLink even works on Smart TVs in the streaming JPEG mode.

I'm on the windows side of things. Seems the weblink is MAC only.

Can someone answer my question please
1. Does vMix NDI output support multicast?

I do control the entire network. Enabling multicast is a step needed but nothing impossible in my eyes. Switches and routers do support IGMP snooping. So if vMix NDI output could be set to multicast then this would save me some NDI hardware encoder.

Thanks
kane  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:36:14 PM(UTC)
kane

mavik wrote:

I'm on the windows side of things. Seems the weblink is MAC only.

Can someone answer my question please
1. Does vMix NDI output support multicast?

I do control the entire network. Enabling multicast is a step needed but nothing impossible in my eyes. Switches and routers do support IGMP snooping. So if vMix NDI output could be set to multicast then this would save me some NDI hardware encoder.

Thanks

If vMix is using NDI v3 (which I think the latest version does). Install NewTek NDI Tools on the system, and use the NDI Access Manager tool to configure the multicast network. (You might have to run NDI Access Manager as Administrator to set these settings).

Kane Peterson
NewTek
mavik  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 3:34:37 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

kane wrote:

Install NewTek NDI Tools on the system, and use the NDI Access Manager tool to configure the multicast network

I see that the access manager is able to bridge between subnets which is really nice and is able to group different feeds but I can't see how it would transform a unicast into a multicast. Would you mind to details on this particularly.
kane  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 8:30:13 AM(UTC)
kane

mavik wrote:
I see that the access manager is able to bridge between subnets which is really nice and is able to group different feeds but I can't see how it would transform a unicast into a multicast. Would you mind to details on this particularly.

If you don't see the Multicast settings in NDI Access Manager, then you have an older version. Download NDI Tools again and install it. In one of the tabs is the option to enable multicast and setup the IP for it.

After that the system has updated NDI to tell it to use multicast when possible.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
JAIRODJ  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 4:27:05 PM(UTC)
JAIRODJ

Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
On this page several solutions are shown around the NDI, you could use the Receiver / Transmiter to retransmit the NDI signal and receive it on the dual NDI monitors.

NDI TOOLS
mavik  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 1:27:54 PM(UTC)
mavik

Man

kane wrote:

If you don't see the Multicast settings in NDI Access Manager, then you have an older version. Download NDI Tools again and install it. In one of the tabs is the option to enable multicast and setup the IP for it.

After that the system has updated NDI to tell it to use multicast when possible.

Kane Peterson
NewTek

Thanks for the hint. I'll download the latest version and try again.