logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 8/19/2025 12:45:46 AM(UTC) marcyaghi1  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:04:16 PM(UTC)
marcyaghi1

Groups: Registered
Afganistan

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
For security reasons
Please update vmix web controller and vmix social with a login password to enter the web interface
since sometimes we are on a static ip , so we afraid that someone could enter and mess up with out live

please its very simple i guess to add a login password for all vmix web interface and vmix social

regards

DWAM  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 4:50:34 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Don't need this.
Just use your firewall to define which hosts can access Web Controller.
Besides there shouldn't be anyone you don't trust or work with you on your production LAN.

Guillaume
thanks 1 user thanked DWAM for this useful post.
doggy on 3/18/2018(UTC)
rowby  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 6:22:42 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hmmm....

Interesting suggestion. I could see it especially useful whe you are at a remote venue, such as a sports event. Or a concert,or trade show etc where you are using a network that is not your own.

Rowby
DWAM  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 8:19:06 AM(UTC)
DWAM

Man
France

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 589 post(s)
Quote:
where you are using a network that is not your own

You shouldn't... for many reasons but the very first is security... So if you are concerned by security as your post suggests, start deploying your own network for production. So much easier and more reliable...
rowby  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 9:38:37 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Let's look at this in another way.

Maybe we should be thinking about vMix User Groups. On websites that I administrator I am the highest level User: the Super Administrator.

Then there are different subgroups which give other users certain things they can do or cannot do. For example some users can write website posts but they are not given permission to publish the posts. Only a user who is a "Publisher" can approve and decide to publish another lower level user's post. This can prevent content being published that is embarrassing to the company.

For example, as Super Administrator I can configure the website, do backups, upgrades etc. Under me I have Administrators, Editors, etc. Etc. They have limited access, based on their level of skills and other criteria.

Some users are given permission to do only one very specific thing.

Perhaps User Groups is something that should be looked into with vMix. Only a Super User, for example, could get into the main Settings.

For example, a well-meaning but not as skilled temp employee or volunteer -- with no malicious intent -- could cause issues with improper use of the web controller.

A score keeper should not be able to accidentally push the Stream button. Or Close an Input.

Just like vMix's Advanced and Basic mode, each user group, perhaps should see only specific functions in the vMix back end that their user group has permissions to access. That's how it works in most of the websites where I am the Super Administrator. Only I can see the configuration section,only I can even see the backup section, only I can see the specific menu item where I do a website upgrade.

On E-Commerce sites that I build only Owners or people with owner's permission have access to the analytics reports or the financials section. Example — the owner would give their Accountant access to the financials. Not even I as website admin can see the financials if the owner doesn’t want me to see them. Remote fulfillment services have access limited to the product categories they are authorized to ship.

Lower level users can't even see these sections on my e-commerce sites. Besides providing security, it makes the administration of the back end of the websites less daunting to the less skilled newbie users. Less buttons and panels to navigate through. Less tech phone calls and emails to me from a confused new employee.

Would having User Groups on vMix be a headache? Not really. I could make everyone an Administrator, for example.

Having vMix user groups, would give me one less worry to think about during a complicated production. And it can be reassuring to know if a mistake was made that I was the one who made it when it comes to troubleshooting an event issue.

As I think about this, I would not want a well-meaning and even a skilled user touching the vMix main settings unless I was made aware of it in advance.

There are Best Practices good reasons why websites have user groups. Perhaps now is the he time to consider if Best Practices for our more and more robust and wonderful vMix should initiate User Groups.

Attached is a graphic of the permissions system of an ecommerce platform that I work with. See how finely tuned permissions can be on that platform...

Rowby

rowby attached the following image(s):
e-commerce site persmissions.png (37kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Barney Box Lane  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 12:10:25 PM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I like the idea Rowby, but a quick way to implement would be user group web controllers, so nobody touches the main projects just their pre assigned buttons on a web control, sort of the reverse of making loads off limits you just pick a couple of things to put on limits?
rowby  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 4:02:20 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Yes. User Group web controllers could get this working "quickly" I would think -- certainly less work for Martin, I would think....

Rowby
User is suspended until 8/19/2025 12:45:46 AM(UTC) marcyaghi1  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 4:51:26 AM(UTC)
marcyaghi1

Afganistan

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
please this is a major security request please consider in the next update
mgrayeb  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:47:27 PM(UTC)
mgrayeb

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
+1 for password for vMix Social