logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveP  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:43:35 AM(UTC)
SteveP

Groups: Registered

I am very new to using NDI. In fact I am going to begin more testing this week. Here is my questions.

1. Using NDI VLC Plugin I can access any computer or camera with this plugin on a network. Can I then stream across the network so any computer can receive a broadcast similar to live streaming on youtube? Is there a tutorial that shows how to do this?

2. I wanted to test the NDI VLC Plugin at home however for some reason it does not install on a home network. Is there a reason why?

Thank you,
kane  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 9:28:56 PM(UTC)
kane

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
SteveP wrote:
I am very new to using NDI. In fact I am going to begin more testing this week. Here is my questions.

1. Using NDI VLC Plugin I can access any computer or camera with this plugin on a network. Can I then stream across the network so any computer can receive a broadcast similar to live streaming on youtube? Is there a tutorial that shows how to do this?

2. I wanted to test the NDI VLC Plugin at home however for some reason it does not install on a home network. Is there a reason why?

Thank you,

1. Yes, but don't take that as a big YES. By default NDI uses unicast communication, so each client that connects to the stream will use it's own channel of bandwidth. If you only have a few clients that want to watch, this this probably isn't a problem, but if you have a dozen of more, you will probably run out of network bandwidth. NDI v3 does support multicast which can allow you only use the bandwidth of a single channel of video, but it does require specific network equipment and switch configuration so that multicast can work correctly.

2. What version of VLC are you using? The current release of NDI Tools includes a VLC version 2.x plug-in. It will not appear in VLC Player v3.x. A VLC 3.x version compatible plug-in is currently in beta (I've been testing it), but I do not know when it will be released.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
SteveP  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:44:04 AM(UTC)
SteveP

Thank you for the information. I am using version 3.0.1. Will earlier versions work? My other streaming option is workplace by facebook. It looks exactly like facebook but the live streaming is oddly different. I have between 50 and 60 clients on the network that I need to reach so I am trying all options. Currently we are using regular cable tv but it's 30 years old the rats have chewed the cable and it's too expensive to update and repair plus the fact that all of the tv's are old analog junk. Just trying to move into the current century and have a more secure option than youtube on a budget.
SteveP  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 8:32:29 AM(UTC)
SteveP

Also it is odd that the NDI tool for VLC will install on a network computer but not my computer at home. Will there be a version of NDI that will resolve this issue?
kane  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:37:41 PM(UTC)
kane

Currently you have to be using a version 2.2.x VLC Player to use the NDI plug-in.

I'm not sure what you mean by it not installing? Are you getting an error? Is it not showing up? (It will not show up if you are using VLC v3).

Kane Peterson
NewTek
SteveP  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2018 7:04:35 PM(UTC)
SteveP

Here is a couple of pictures of what I am talking about.

SteveP attached the following image(s):
vlc1.jpg (105kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
vlc2.jpg (63kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
kane  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:08:14 PM(UTC)
kane

As I've mentioned above, the current NDI plug-in is NOT compatible with VLC Player v3.x, you need to be running VLC Player v2.2 for it to work.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 1 user thanked kane for this useful post.
stigaard on 3/11/2018(UTC)
SteveP  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 9:22:46 AM(UTC)
SteveP

Thank you
rowby  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 10:10:53 AM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hello Everybody,

Here’s the download link to VLC 2.2. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/2.0.2.html

Rowby
kane  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 11:39:10 AM(UTC)
kane

VLC Player version 2.2.8 was the last release before v3 came out. Here is a link to the 64-bit version.

http://download.videolan...ideolan/vlc/2.2.8/win64/