logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ario  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 3, 2018 7:42:37 PM(UTC)
Ario

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Okay,
so let's see if I make any sense here:
we record our replay camera on its local SD card.
That recording is of higher quality than the IRP-export we get from vMix.

The day after the game, we select the best replays and edit them (effects).
Ideally, we would export the IRP timestamps/timecodes from vMix (in some kind of cue sheet, a text file which has the times as HH:MM:SS:frames) and import that cue sheet in Premiere Pro, so that it knows where the highlights occur in the total recording of the full game on the SD card.

Could a workflow like that be done?

Or should we 'just' set higher settings on the IRP recording within vMix?
Since vMix receives the main camera over 70m of UTP, the image gets compressed along the way, which is fine for streaming, but not for editing the day after.
So even if we would set IRP quality higher, it would still be 'garbage' in, garbage out.
Hence the idea to use the SD file as a source and 'map' the IRP timestamps (somehow exported from vMix) onto it.

Thanks for any ideas,
cheers,
Arie
kjones9999  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 10:53:05 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Hi..

I do something similar with videoredo and writedurationtolog. It will give you the times and you can convert as necessary.
thanks 1 user thanked kjones9999 for this useful post.
Ario on 2/6/2018(UTC)
Ario  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 9:27:14 AM(UTC)
Ario

Thanks for that tip! I will certainly look into that.
Ario  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:14:35 PM(UTC)
Ario

Here's where i stand: vMix replay.xml to .xlsx, putting it in the format as described on https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2382378
Save that as Tab delimited txt, join it with Premiere FCP XML export using the free tool Marker Import as found on https://www.digitalrebellion.com/cutnotes/ (bottom of page!).
This results in an XML with the markers from the xlsx/txt, which can be imported into PP.
Watch out that it creates a new sequence, named ....-Marker Import.
Ario  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:25:33 AM(UTC)
Ario

OK, so i have gone quite a bit further with this, by opening the vMix .xml file with the replay timestamps into MS Excel.
Then using various formulas to translate the vMix timestamps into hh:mm:ss:ff timecode.
These timecodes can then easily be copied into an .edl text file, which can be imported into Premiere.
Since i am defining the parts that do NOT have highlights, i can drag those parts from the .edl sequence over my hi-res footage (video and audio tracks), blocking out the non-highlight parts, and easily ripple delete them.
What that leaves me with, is the highlights, taken from my highest quality recording, which is done outside of vMix, namely on the camera's SD card itself.
Finally, i render out this highlight reel from Premiere Pro, ready to distribute.
Any tips on how to further automate this, would be very welcome. Ideally, vMix will include an export function, to save the IRP timestamps into .edl or .xml which can be opened in Premiere (and FCP X) and be linked to the hi-res video files straight out the camera.

Please watch the tutorial here:

YouTube description:
You will need this Excel file https://www.dropbox.com/...-XML-to-PP-EDL.xlsx?dl=1 and this .edl file https://www.dropbox.com/...Mix-to-Premiere.edl?dl=1
This tutorial explains how to copy the vMix Instant Replay .xml timestamps into Excel, translate them into timecode, copy that into an .edl (text) file, import that into Premiere Pro, and drag the non-highlight parts onto your existing hi-res footage (e.g. from your camera's SD-card), so that you only have to ripple delete the non-relevant parts. In that way, you can combine your highest quality recording (on the SD-card) with the highlight-timestamps from vMix, to render out a highlight reel in the very highest quality.
EDL file should also be usable in NLE's (video editors) similar to Adobe Premiere Pro.
thanks 1 user thanked Ario for this useful post.
seb666 on 2/14/2018(UTC)