logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jimmy-DTG  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 9:28:39 PM(UTC)
Jimmy-DTG

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I know this is digging into the minutiae, but for those of you have who done laptop system with vMix, any thoughts on whether there will be an appreciable difference between a GTX 1050 w/ 4GB vs a GTX 1060 w/ 6GB? I'm putting together a mobile kit that all has to fit in a Pelican 1510 (the carry-on size) so that I can fly with it. I've got the laptop down to either an Alienware 13" with the 1060 or the XPS 15 with the 1050. This will mainly be used for graphics and possibly sometimes ingesting an HD-SDI feed (overlay graphics and back out a Duo 2) or an NDI feed from an app doing graphics that I couldn't do in a custom XAML control directly in vMix. I'd actually love to do a 13" MacBook Pro w/ Bootcamp, but I feel a little hesitant relying on the Iris Pro 550 vs a GTX.

Any thoughts on specific performance differences between the 1050 and 1060 (plus an extra 2GB memory)?

Thanks!
thanks 1 user thanked Jimmy-DTG for this useful post.
SRP on 6/10/2017(UTC)
RichShumaker  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 5:37:26 PM(UTC)
RichShumaker

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I have been researching this same thing a lot recently.
On paper I would go with the 1060 all day.
The 1050ti also looks great too.

The issue becomes with the ingestion of content.
You mentioned NDI so that would need a gigabit connection, which most modern laptops have.
For SDI I think the best way is Thunderbolt 3.

Most bargain laptops (below $1000) may have the proper graphics, 1050 or 1050ti.
They lack a great connection via Thunderbolt 3.
USB 3 is 5 USB 3.1 is 10 Thunderbolt 3 is 40. This is the speed of the connection and I took away the mb per second or whatever that name is.

For me the first vendor with a 1050ti and thunderbolt 3 in a laptop under $1k will have a huge hit on their hands.
I am avoiding the older laptops as I feel the newer chips heat output is a huge game changer(so I am avoiding the 960M & earlier versions of laptops).

I don't own a laptop presently and I am using a really old graphics card in the 660ti, and it is working well right now.

Those are my .02 hope they help.
Let me know if they just make more questions for you as the more I research and help others the more it will help me.

For me the best thing to up your vMix game after the graphics card is M.2 SSD as it blows normal SSD out of the water.

Rich Shumaker
waxxel  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:18:54 AM(UTC)
waxxel

I have a question along similar lines, I have two laptops that are very similar in specs. Both i7 7700, 16gb ram, one has a GTX 1060 and the other is a GTX 1050. I want to switch on one and stream and record on the other via NDI. So my question is, which one would it be better to switch on and the better one to stream from?