logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
alan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:39:03 PM(UTC)
alan

Groups: Registered

Hi,

VMix froze twice while I was streaming and recording. I had to reboot my Windows 7 PC - i7 960 (3.2 Ghz), 24 GB RAM. Graphics card: GeForce 560 Ti (4 GB). It saved the AVI files. But I have had not luck being able to open them. Tried VLC and Windows Media Player. I tried using an AVI fix tool. The files are not even recognized although the files were "saved" as AVI in my recording folder. After these two freezes, I went on to successfully record an AVI file that was properly started and stopped by VMix. Can the early AVI files be saved? BTW, I am in trial with VMix and overall I think it's a really great program.
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:35:14 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4165 time(s) in 1496 post(s)
Hi Alan,

It sounds like a potential hardware issue if the whole system is freezing.
What version of vMix are you using and what capture cards?

Unfortunately, unless the AVI was recorded using CineForm it is likely not recoverable.
The MKV format (selectable in the AVI window) is more resilient and the TS format (in the MPEG-2 window) is as well.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
alan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:46:05 PM(UTC)
alan

Groups: Registered

Hi Martin. I'm using 9.1.0.31. I was using the x64 flavor. Does that have the same stability as the 32 bit? In terms of capture cards, I was using 3 Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCI cards. In the past, I have had crashes using Wirecast when I've unplugged the HDMI cables from the Intensity capture cards. In this situation, the freezes seemed to randomly happen. I believe one occurred just after I had tried to add a text overlay to one of the inputs. Ironically, I had to move a camera around later during the event while I was streaming/recording which forced me to temporarily unplug it from the capture card but VMix held up fine. Thanks for the tip about MKV. I'll try that. Also...any tips on codec selection? I wound up using the "Decklink MJPEG Compressor." I could have also selected "DV Video Encoder" or "MJPEG Compressor." I chose the Decklink just because I thought it might be less CPUs cycles.