logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fingerlakes1  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:33:56 AM(UTC)
fingerlakes1

Groups: Registered
United States

I am wondering if my assumption on how to integrate a ROLAND V-1SDI 4-Channel video switcher with VMIX is correct?

Here is the device:

https://www.bhphotovideo...v_1sdi_4_channel_hd.html

I am assuming that this would interface with my VMIX computer via USB and that there would be a single input for the video feed. For example, if I switched the active video feed on the hardware switcher, it would change in the VMIX input?

Then I would use VMIX for graphics, pre-recorded video segments, etc. and instead of running 3-4 cameras individually into VMIX, each with their own input, I would just connect this device and have 1 single video feed into VMIX that is switched on the hardware.

Is this a correct assumption and has anyone had experience with this device or similar set-up with VMIX.

Thank you!
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:09:02 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ fingerlakes1

First of all, I should state that I have no experience with this unit, however, I suspect that you would still need a capture device on your vMix rig to receive a signal from the Roland's SDI and/or HDMI output as I don't think the USB interface will provide the feed.
Reviews on the unit are very mixed as it has had known issues of overheating and shutting down so you are best to conduct your own research on the matter.
I am not a big fan of such hybrid workflows (it would be somewhat similar to the BMD ATEM in my opinion), such that vMix adds a significant increase in production value to these units, however, they do not necessarily reciprocate as they severely impede vMix's creative capabilities, it's kind of like a motorcycle towing a bus in my mind (but that might just be me).

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
fingerlakes1 on 1/4/2018(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:35:09 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
The Roland V-1SDI is similar to the Roland V-1HD Portable 4 x HDMI Input Switcher. The USB connection is only for controlling the unit, not for a video input to your computer (as was with the Roland VR-3).

So as IceStream mentioned, you would still need a capture device to make this work with vMix. For about the same price ($1495 list) you could get a 4 input SDI capture device and a controller such as a X-keys, Akai, etc. and have the potential to do more with vMix.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
fingerlakes1 on 1/4/2018(UTC)
fingerlakes1  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:55:26 PM(UTC)
fingerlakes1

United States

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on a reliable device?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:32:06 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
This is a good start to look at first for controllers.

https://www.vmix.com/software/su...ardware.aspx#controllers

It depends on what you like, if you want a T-Bar, and your budget. Everybody has their own preferences.