logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
petervk  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 6:49:11 AM(UTC)
petervk

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I cannot believe my eyes. It looks like the event transition duration/speed depends on the replay playback speed when I replay multiple selected events via the 'play events' button. This makes the option to replay multiple events completely useless to me. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Peter.
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 7:10:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Peter,

Yes this is by design.

All transitions between events in the replay are frame accurate, which means it needs
to calculate precisely when an event ends, and then queue up a pre-roll of the next event in such a way that none of those frames occurs
in the middle of the transition (as you might miss some important part of the action if it did).

Therefore it is not possible to calculate this for a constantly changing replay speed.

So in cases where you need to move between events quickly at different speeds, set the "Event Transition" to Cut.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
petervk on 1/1/2018(UTC)
petervk  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 8:21:11 AM(UTC)
petervk

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

Maybe I was not 100% clear. When I start a replay at say 50% of the normal speed then the transition from the live camera to the replay clip runs at full speed. Same for when I playback multiple replay clips and for the transition between the last replay clip back to the live camera. In all these situations (so 'to' and 'from' a replay) the transition runs at full speed. The transitions however between replay clips run at the speed of the replay speed.

OK I can imagine you need to do some recalculation when the speed changes but do you really think that it is technically impossible to render the inter-replay clip transitions at full speed?

Thanks,
Peter.
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 9:06:48 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Yes, that is what I was referring to also, the transition between each clip. (I.E The Event Transition setting).

It is technically impossible to correct the transition time if speed changes are made in the middle of a transition.
However, perhaps as a compromise we could calculate the transition time based on the speed just prior to the transition starting.

This should work most of the time, but will still look wrong if the speed is suddenly changed right in the middle of a transition.
But this may be closer to what you need?

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
petervk on 1/1/2018(UTC)
pm  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 11:26:40 AM(UTC)
pm

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

In my opinion, the Event Transition duration should be completely independent from the selected replay speed. The configured time in instant replay settings should always be applied and no recalculation should be needed. Otherwise the Event Transition time makes no real sense to me.

Regards,
Patrick
petervk  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2018 11:29:44 AM(UTC)
petervk

Hi Martin,

Ah, now I understand what you mean. To calculate the transition time based on the speed just prior to the transition starting would be perfectly fine (does not even sound like a compromise). To avoid the speed to suddenly change it would help if you could just disable the speed change function when used in the middle of an event transition.

It would be much appreciated if you could add this change request to your backlog.

Thanks,
Peter.