logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HWL1223  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:42:37 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi;
I consider myself an extremely experienced encoder, and I regularly use Adobe Flash and Windows Media Encoder native (all processing done before the capture card) on XP and W7 boxes.

On my trial with Basic 9.1.0.31, I loaded vMix onto an XP box that runs both encoders properly. When I start vMix alone (no other progs running except the Osprey taskbar) and try to add an input > capture > Osprey video device 440A (a known to work card) > 640x480, I get either a "device not functioning" error OR an "invalid pointer", so it doesnt work/set as an input. Any vMix app input seems to works (photo, title, virtual set). Any idea whats with this?

Also, when I hit Streaming, I get a "Windows 7 or higher required" error.

Also, where is the fade speed for the XAML title set?

Please advise.
HWL1223  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:16:42 AM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

I installed on a W7 box with a 230 card and all seems to work fine.

I have the following specific questions:

1. Can vMix stream simultaneously a Windows media stream and an Adobe Flash stream?

2. Can vMix do multiple Adobe Flash streams? The tutorial is not accurate in describing the Flash setup...it seems the config for Flash is first set in AF, then the default is copied and started in vMix. Please detail this better.

3. Can either the Flash (f4v) or Windows Media file (wmv) be recorded AND can the recording be stopped and started or paused while still streaming?

4. Can the monitor screen interface be customized? For example, eliminating the multiple fade buttons, or unused Multicorder and Overlay buttons, etc.?

5. Within the Title Editor is there a preview of the font, size and color or is that only by the Input Preview?

Thank you
admin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:59:34 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
1. Yes, you can use both encoding programs simultaneously or in combination with the built in streaming.

2. The built in streaming can only do one stream at the moment, anything more advanced will require running the Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder separately.

3. Streaming runs independently of any recordings you setup in vMix. vMix supports recording to WMV but not F4V.

4. There is a "Basic" mode that removes a lot of buttons on the screen (click the Basic button at the top) but it is not customisable.

5. The Title Editor is live, so you can move the title editor window to the side and see the live changes to the input preview.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
HWL1223  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:58:00 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

I am having an issue as regards this question: 2. The built in streaming can only do one stream at the moment, anything more advanced will require running the Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder separately.

As per the 2 Help files (Live Streaming & Streaming), I am starting the flash stream from within vMix. It woeks perfectly. I then launch AFMLE 3.2, check the "Save to File", then start it. Everything seems to still be OK - it streams and saves the file.

BUT, if I then STOP the stream, either from AFLME or vMix, I cannot start it again until I close down vMix and then re-start vMix, regardless of whether AFLME is still launched or not.

I get this error if I try to restart the file in vMix, "Capture device is still in use...Streaming_StartStop.MN_New". And, if I try to launch a stream from AFMLE, I get audio but no video.

Any ideas? I really need to be able to Save my stream to File.

edit: Also, if I start AFMLE first on the capture card, start vMix and start its streaming encoder, that TAKES OVER the flash stream, even though AFLME shows the capture card as a source (I get an expected error message in vMix that the capture card is not working). IF I then stop the vMix editor, nothing is streaming though AFLME shows it is working. I can stop AFLME, restart it and it does stream.

SO WHERE I AM (trying) TO GO HERE is that I need to stream multiple formats and save the streams to a file, like you can do in AFLME.

Thanks.
HWL1223  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2013 10:13:43 AM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

so the silence is freakin' deafening;

I assume it cannot be stylishly achieved in the one program.

So, I am outputting the video of my vMix unit (External) through a intensity pro card and into a distribution system to feed other encoder boxes running Windows Media and other variants of Flash (including the Save to File issues).

Much then as I like vMix, as we primarily stream other production company feeds, it serves us mostly as a switcher and title maker.

On another note, has anyone found a fairly reliable and "affordable" field-method to bond various wireless signals together for uploads to servers? We frequently are asked to go into hostile environments where copper links are unavailable...
admin  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:32:25 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4159 time(s) in 1494 post(s)
Hi,

If you will be running FMLE separately anyway, why not use it for streaming and saving
instead of using the built in streaming in vMix.

This will prevent the problem of starting and stopping the External output in vMix.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
HWL1223  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:44:34 AM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

If you will be running FMLE separately anyway, why not use it for streaming and saving
instead of using the built in streaming in vMix.

Yes, as when you are streaming multiple bandwidths (bit rates), it is problematic to record the stream as FMLE records both/all bit rates.

I simultaneously do corporate redistribution streams for projection blowup (at very high rates), so recording those is intensive and unnecessary, hence multiple encoders (usually a 40Kbps for audio dial up, a 300Kbps for general broadband, and a 1200Kbps for projection). (and then there are the Flash AND Windows Media live streams...). And the 300 may post to Youtube.

Thanks