logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ElBurrito  
#21 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 6:37:59 PM(UTC)
ElBurrito

Groups: Registered

NHT wrote:
ElBurrito wrote:
NHT wrote:
ElBurrito wrote:
NHT wrote:
On your budget probably cheap Chinese walkies like the Baofeng 888 or Retevis 777 these are cheap and have decent range.

If you're switching and directing you should put your unit on Vox (voice operation) so you can talk hands free.

Both of those have vox capabilities where youd on't have to push a button to talk? I've seen conflicting info.

I have both of these and have set both models up with Vox, they're effectively the same design with a different name.

If you buy some, get the USB TUNING CABLE and download CHIRP to program them.

Do you monitor program audio on the same headset as comms? What's the best way to get both sets of audio into the same headset? Will one of those basic aux audio splitters work?

I actually use a much more low tech solution.

I use a ear bud headphones to monitor audio output and then put a comms headset over the top.

Doing that was my first thought. :D
SportsNetUSA.net  
#22 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 6:52:43 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
ElBurrito wrote:
SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Yes, the Canon XA25 is my main camera for one of the teams I shoot. The second camera is usually a Canon G30. The Sony is used for another school for a single camera shoot when I solo.

I like the XA25. It's been an excellent buy (got it slightly used). I just wanted you to be aware of the limitation of the BNC output.

Do you add monitors to your cameras? What tripods do you use? Ones with fluid heads?

Since I may need to use HDMI with cameras that have one HDMI output... Will it work using an HDMI splitter with one HDMI cable going from splitter to a monitor mounted on the camera, second HDMI cable from splitter to a HDMI to SDI converter, then SDI cable from converter going into Decklink Duo? Is that too much switching and converting or will that be fine?

Another question... The machine used to run Vmix. I currently have a PC with a Xeon E3-1231 V3, which IIRC is equivalent to the i7 4770, and a GTX 970. I'd need to upgrade the RAM to 32gb and add a 1TB SSD, but if I did would that cut if for 1080p streaming, recording, and replays (I may only use one camera replay to start)? Or do I definitely need to build a new machine? Best I can tell my current machine would match up favorably to the Emerald reference system but not quite to the Ruby due to the CPU? If I could use the current machine I could put the $ into other things.

I think you have more than enough CPU to start with, but I certainly would get one or two SSDs for the system. Down the road if you need more horsepower, then upgrade. Probably you could just upgrade you graphics card to something that can take more of the load off the CPU.

I try to add monitors to my cameras. It is easier for the camera ops to follow the action on a larger screen than the built-in viewfinder. With the XA25, you don't need a splitter if you are shooting in 720P 59.94 because you can set the Canon to output both HDMI and SDI at 720P.

Lots of choices for tripods, but you do get what you pay for. All of mine of fluid heads. Find ones that are smooth when panning and tilting, and have controls that aren't blocked by other parts of the tripod during operation. I have a Davis & Sanford tripod that has that problem. However I bought it for it's height reach.
ElBurrito  
#23 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 7:14:03 PM(UTC)
ElBurrito

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
ElBurrito wrote:
SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Yes, the Canon XA25 is my main camera for one of the teams I shoot. The second camera is usually a Canon G30. The Sony is used for another school for a single camera shoot when I solo.

I like the XA25. It's been an excellent buy (got it slightly used). I just wanted you to be aware of the limitation of the BNC output.

Do you add monitors to your cameras? What tripods do you use? Ones with fluid heads?

Since I may need to use HDMI with cameras that have one HDMI output... Will it work using an HDMI splitter with one HDMI cable going from splitter to a monitor mounted on the camera, second HDMI cable from splitter to a HDMI to SDI converter, then SDI cable from converter going into Decklink Duo? Is that too much switching and converting or will that be fine?

Another question... The machine used to run Vmix. I currently have a PC with a Xeon E3-1231 V3, which IIRC is equivalent to the i7 4770, and a GTX 970. I'd need to upgrade the RAM to 32gb and add a 1TB SSD, but if I did would that cut if for 1080p streaming, recording, and replays (I may only use one camera replay to start)? Or do I definitely need to build a new machine? Best I can tell my current machine would match up favorably to the Emerald reference system but not quite to the Ruby due to the CPU? If I could use the current machine I could put the $ into other things.

I think you have more than enough CPU to start with, but I certainly would get one or two SSDs for the system. Down the road if you need more horsepower, then upgrade. Probably you could just upgrade you graphics card to something that can take more of the load off the CPU.

I try to add monitors to my cameras. It is easier for the camera ops to follow the action on a larger screen than the built-in viewfinder. With the XA25, you don't need a splitter if you are shooting in 720P 59.94 because you can set the Canon to output both HDMI and SDI at 720P.

Lots of choices for tripods, but you do get what you pay for. All of mine of fluid heads. Find ones that are smooth when panning and tilting, and have controls that aren't blocked by other parts of the tripod during operation. I have a Davis & Sanford tripod that has that problem. However I bought it for it's height reach.

But I couldn't do 1080p 59.94 out on the HDMI and 720p to SDI going to a monitor for the camera?

I'm guessing a zoom rocker on the tripod handle is probably a must too?
SportsNetUSA.net  
#24 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 2:23:42 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Quote:
But I couldn't do 1080p 59.94 out on the HDMI and 720p to SDI going to a monitor for the camera?

No, unfortunately, the XA25 will only do 1080P out of the HDMI with no SDI/BNC output. You would have to use an HDMI splitter if you want to output 1080P/59.94 and also feed a camera top monitor.

A LANC zoom controller is helpful, but some people can run cameras without them. I think it depends on your operators. The cheap, sub $30 zoom controller do function, but some of the more expensive ones have speed control on the zoom. That is a good feature when used properly.
ElBurrito  
#25 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 3:11:41 PM(UTC)
ElBurrito

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Quote:

No, unfortunately, the XA25 will only do 1080P out of the HDMI with no SDI/BNC output. You would have to use an HDMI splitter if you want to output 1080P/59.94 and also feed a camera top monitor.

A LANC zoom controller is helpful, but some people can run cameras without them. I think it depends on your operators. The cheap, sub $30 zoom controller do function, but some of the more expensive ones have speed control on the zoom. That is a good feature when used properly.

Is it only 3g SDI or greater than outputs 1080p/60? The XA35 says it does 1080p through HD-SDI output but doesn't specify frame rate.

" An HD/SD-SDI output terminal allows the XA35 to connect directly to professional video equipment, such as a news truck for broadcast streaming, an SDI switcher, or external recorder. The HD/SD-SDI output provides an uncompressed signal at 1920x1080 resolution with 4:2:2 color sampling, embedded audio, and time code."

Do I need to look for cameras with 3G-SDI? Otherwise I see nothing that indicates what the different specific outputs on cameras push out as far as resolution and frame rate. edit> Tougher to find that I'd think but it seems what I thought is true that HD-SDI won't do any kind of 1080p (right?). So that marketing material for the XA35 is incorrect.

What X zoom do I need to be able to zoom in on faces on the field from the press box? Those Canons do 20x zoom. Sony PXW-X70 is the same price as XA35's and has 3G-SDI out but only 12x zoom. Came across a page somewhere that 10x zoom is only good for zooming within 50 feet so 12x doesn't sound great.

Basically I need to be able to output 1080p/59.94 to the PC but also an output to a small monitor on the camera which can be 720p if not lower. It looks like an HDMI splitter may not be a good option because they have 50 foot max range and that might be pushing it if I'm not sitting with the PC next to the camera... And both outputs will go out at the lowest resolution among the output monitors. So unless I get a nice 1080p monitor for a camera, the output sent to the PC will also be at whatever resolution the lower res monitor would be. So I need two outputs whether HDMI or SDI that will let me use both at the same time with at least one doing 1080p/60 while also being able to use the other at the same time at a resolution that doesn't matter to me.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#26 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 2:12:25 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Page 183 of the Canon XA30/XA35 manual
Quote:
HD/SD-SDI Terminal
BNC jack, output only, 08Vp-p / 75 ohms unbalanced
HD-SDI: SMPTE 292
Video: 1080i, 720P

So as with the XA25, you would be limited to 720P/59.94 on the XA35.

As for 12X Sonys versus 20X Canons, it depends on how far your cameras are from the field or the crowd after you position them.

That distance will also determine what kind of cabling you might use. HDMI cables that are very long may have some problems when matched with certain capture devices. The longest HDMI cable I've used on any kind of regular basis is 25 feet. Farther than that, I use a HDMI HDBaseT extender. For one team, I normally use Belden HD/SDI coax cable and use HDMI to SDI converters. You also could use NDI for long distances.

Most of this depends on your budget. For example you could get camera mounted monitors that have HDMI pass-through (In/Out) that would eliminate the need for a splitter. However they usually cost more. There are SDI versions too or ones with both (expensive).
zenvideo  
#27 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 3:36:58 AM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
ElBurrito wrote:
What X zoom do I need to be able to zoom in on faces on the field from the press box? Those Canons do 20x zoom. Sony PXW-X70 is the same price as XA35's and has 3G-SDI out but only 12x zoom. Came across a page somewhere that 10x zoom is only good for zooming within 50 feet so 12x doesn't sound great.

If you want to get the sort of shots you see on TV then you should be aware that they usually use cameras with 2/3" sensors and B4 lens mounts, combined with zooms in the range of 40x to 80x, coupled with an experienced camera operator (I know one such in the UK whose "Saturday job" is getting player close-ups for Sky Sports Premiere League Football coverage).
NHT  
#28 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 5:55:48 AM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
For tripods the best budget option is one of the WF717 type variants from Ebay or Amazon. The heads aren't bad and they're fairly solid but are quite heavy.

AmazonUserPostedImage
ElBurrito  
#29 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 10:08:46 AM(UTC)
ElBurrito

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Page 183 of the Canon XA30/XA35 manual
Quote:
HD/SD-SDI Terminal
BNC jack, output only, 08Vp-p / 75 ohms unbalanced
HD-SDI: SMPTE 292
Video: 1080i, 720P

So as with the XA25, you would be limited to 720P/59.94 on the XA35.

As for 12X Sonys versus 20X Canons, it depends on how far your cameras are from the field or the crowd after you position them.

That distance will also determine what kind of cabling you might use. HDMI cables that are very long may have some problems when matched with certain capture devices. The longest HDMI cable I've used on any kind of regular basis is 25 feet. Farther than that, I use a HDMI HDBaseT extender. For one team, I normally use Belden HD/SDI coax cable and use HDMI to SDI converters. You also could use NDI for long distances.

Most of this depends on your budget. For example you could get camera mounted monitors that have HDMI pass-through (In/Out) that would eliminate the need for a splitter. However they usually cost more. There are SDI versions too or ones with both (expensive).

For long runs I could have a short HDMI cable out of the camera to HDMI>SDI converter then SDI into Decklink Duo on PC?

So my options are: Camera> HDMI cable to HDMI monitor> HDMI cable from HDMI out monitor to HDMI to SDI converter> SDI cable from SDI out on SDI converter to input of Decklink Duo. -OR- Camera> HDMI cable to HDMI splitter> one HDMI cable from splitter HDMI output to monitor, one HDMI cable from splitter HDMI output to HDMI to SDI converter> SDI cable from SDI out on SDI converter to input of Decklink Duo.

Sound right?

For zoom... A couple cameras will be on top of a press box that's on top of bleachers that have about 40 rows. One of those will be a tight camera mainly for a tighter shot for replays and some close shots between plays. Would 20x zoom be adequate? I'm pretty sure for close up game action yes at least. I know the team itself has a camera for just that and I'd guess that they're using cheaper consumer camcorders now that I think about it. Maybe close ups of faces from that distance are a different story.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#30 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 5:34:00 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Really this all is going to depend on what kind of budget you have. You could get a monitor with 3G SDI and HDMI passthrough such as the MustHD 702S

https://www.musthd.com/products/...l-videographers-100.html

That would eliminate the need for a splitter, but they cost $399. So add the price of the HDMI splitter you were thinking of buying and the monitor, then compare it to the price of a camera top monitor such as the MustHD 702S.

As ZenVideo pointed out, you'd be pressed to get shots as they do on TV. The cameras are way beyond what most of us can afford. And as he also mentioned, your operators are not going to match the skill and experience of those camera ops.

Get the equipment you can afford, and try to find the best crew people you can. Ones that will understand how you want the game shot, and can follow your directions. No matter how much high tech gear you have, it still takes several games to get it down. Even if you aren't at the level you want to be for your first couple of live broadcasts, as long as the high school athletic department and the parents are satisfied, then you have time to work towards making each live broadcast better.

ElBurrito  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:44:16 PM(UTC)
ElBurrito

SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
Really this all is going to depend on what kind of budget you have. You could get a monitor with 3G SDI and HDMI passthrough such as the MustHD 702S

https://www.musthd.com/products/...l-videographers-100.html

That would eliminate the need for a splitter, but they cost $399. So add the price of the HDMI splitter you were thinking of buying and the monitor, then compare it to the price of a camera top monitor such as the MustHD 702S.

As ZenVideo pointed out, you'd be pressed to get shots as they do on TV. The cameras are way beyond what most of us can afford. And as he also mentioned, your operators are not going to match the skill and experience of those camera ops.

Get the equipment you can afford, and try to find the best crew people you can. Ones that will understand how you want the game shot, and can follow your directions. No matter how much high tech gear you have, it still takes several games to get it down. Even if you aren't at the level you want to be for your first couple of live broadcasts, as long as the high school athletic department and the parents are satisfied, then you have time to work towards making each live broadcast better.

Thanks. I'm looking at one of these two since they have HDMI out. Those plus HDMI>SDI converters would be cheaper than a $400 monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/d...d=G8OR3DBBGUYL&psc=0
https://www.amazon.com/d...d=G8OR3DBBGUYL&psc=0

Not sure I'll need my own announcers yet, but I'd get them some Audio Technica broadcast headsets. I could run those go directly into a Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD audio interface and use the Vmix mixer? I know less about the audio aspect than video... If I don't do this, I'll use the radio broadcast feed. If so I should be able to run a cable from their mixer output into the Behringer audio interface?

For doing sports what's the best way to get crowd audio? A dedicated crowd mic? A mic on a field level camera? The radio broadcasts for this team have a crowd mic but it never sounds good... or loud enough, or clear or something. Not sure why. Maybe they just don't have the volume up high enough on it. Are most mixers going to have the ability to output particular mics? I'd much prefer to get JUST the announcer audio than the crowd mic (I'd like to improve on that aspect) and not get the audio of their commercials and the music etc. that plays going in and out of them for obvious reasons. Or is it likely that I'll just have to get their full audio feed from their mixer? Or no way for anyone to know without knowing what the mixer is (I'll be able to find that out sooner or later).