logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tango  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:17:37 PM(UTC)
Tango

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I’m interested in doing Live streams in the field. By that I mean in my hotel, at a clients premises or even away camping.

Is it possible (subject to acceptable bandwidth) to say hotspot my laptop into my iPhone & run a stream through vMix. Maybe even add a 2nd iPhone camera & grab audio from my Zoom?

Thank you

Todd
niemi  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:51:11 PM(UTC)
niemi

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Streaming in vMix using a smartphone hotspot is not a good idea. It is simply too vulnerable. You might be able to get something going with several 4G networks combined using Speedify on the vMix laptop, but what you really want to do whenever possible is to hook up to the local network of the premise, using a (potentially long) network cable.

If you need wireless camera sources have a look at vMix call. Doing interviews this way is great, however, if you want to have people running a gunning with iPhones and have these sources directly in vMix, this currently is not possible. Take a look at Livestream Studio which works rather well with iPhone sources as long as you have the iPhones connected to a strong wifi (probably set up by your team before live).

If you need to be completely portable using 4G, take a look at AVIWest, LiveU and Teradek bonding. You will need to broadcast to a debonding server in the sky and then take the stream into vMix which will always introduce some latency.

Unless you absolutely need to be wireless go wired. NDI is now becoming relevant, but for most of us HD-SDI is still the way to go.
thanks 1 user thanked niemi for this useful post.
Tango on 12/2/2017(UTC)
jvphobic  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 2, 2017 5:40:40 PM(UTC)
jvphobic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
It is possible to run Vmix off of a mobile hotspot if the internet connection is good enough. We have done it for emergencies when hardwire failed. But you don't want to rely on them too much as they can be flaky.

Most of the bonded devices require some sort of server on the other end, and it is usually a monthly fee.

But if you are interested in some Teradek Bond 2's. Let me know, I have a few I am looking to get rid of relatively cheap. Almost brand new.
thanks 1 user thanked jvphobic for this useful post.
Tango on 12/2/2017(UTC)