logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
okieman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:48:47 PM(UTC)
okieman

Groups: Registered

Last Sunday just before service, I removed the third streaming bit rate. So 750kbps is gone leaving just 1,000 and 500. Everything seemed to go normally. When we played back the recorded video, the audio track was a mess.

1) Why would changing the streaming bit rate affect the audio?
2) And why didn't we notice this on level indicators during the service?

Here's a link to some audio. The voice is very faint, then suddenly it's there...

Audio sample from recorded video
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 11:09:06 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Unless you changed your Recording setting too, deleting the 3rd stream bit rate should not have any effect.

I don't know your setup but the audio is going from the person being on-mic, then off-mic. That seems to be some kind of problem with your wireless mic system, not vMix.
okieman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 11:26:56 PM(UTC)
okieman

I can understand why you might conclude that. She is using the same over-the-ear mic as the past several years. Plus, what you hear in this extracted audio, we did *not* hear via the room amplifiers or in the streaming version. Only in the recorded file. That's why I suspect the software.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 1:58:56 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

That may be true, however what feeds your PA speakers and what feeds record can be two different sources from your mixer.
It may sound fine on the speakers, but there is a problem with the recording.

Digital recordings don't usually exhibit that kind of sound. There is always audio in your sample recording, but at times it is off-mic. It seems that you have some kind of intermittent connection from the audio output of your mixer to your recording device.

Do you feed the audio from your mixer directly into a built-in computer sound card desktop or the input jacks on a laptop?
okieman  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 9:51:11 AM(UTC)
okieman

Audio from our mixer goes directly to the blue "Line In" audio on the back of the dedicated PC we use for video. I haven't opened the tower, but I think the blue port is part of the sound card.

Here is a related thread:
Discussion at vMix about our audio

The departure point at the mixer is a cluster of four ports labeled "Sub Out". There are two places on that mixer where prepared (EQ, volume, etc) audio leaves the board; the other is probably "Main Out". I don't have the manual in front of me.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 3:45:43 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

If nothing is wrong with your Mackie mixer, I think you should consider buying a USB sound device. I think you will get better, more consistent audio with one. On the vMix Fun Time Live show, they use a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404HD. Tom Sinclair uses one on his "Streaming Idiots" show. I use a Behringer U-Phoria UMC 22 and a UCA 202 that I pair with my analog mixers. I also have used an M-Audio unit.

Perhaps the Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD would be a good fit for your church. Or something such as a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface or one of the units from Tascam.

I had a system with a Gigabyte motherboard where when using the built-in sound on the board, the audio would cutout and delivering inconsistent, sub-par results.

Some people use the built-in sound on their desktops and have no problems. However I learned from doing builds for systems used for radio station playback/record automation, the first thing is to disable the built-in audio on the motherboard. Second, get a quality sound card for the system.

I think trying a USB sound device could solve this and some of your earlier problems. All the Behringer units are under $100, and start at $29.99. Focusrite will cost more, but they are very good units too.
okieman  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 5:38:27 PM(UTC)
okieman

SportsNetUSA, I will definitely look into that idea!