logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
keveuh  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 11:27:23 AM(UTC)
keveuh

Groups: Registered

Hello everybody !

Since I'm no expert with vMix I'd like to ask a few questions regarding its use for a live event, before I invest into hardware that would maybe not work.

So as I said I'd like to use vMix for a live event and the thing I wonder is about filming the event and have it displayed "live" (meaning in the same room as that event takes place) through 2 video projectors.

The video camera is pretty basic, it's a Sony HDR-PJ780VE. It has a hdmi output, so I thought I could run it to a usb capture device.
Then for the projectors I wonder if I can plug them on the same video output on my gpu (I have a Nvidia gtx 1070 ti I can use). And I would like both projectors to show the same thing.

The set up should look like this:

- Video camera plugged to usb capture device via hdmi cable, and capture device plugged to pc
- From my gpu, from the dvi output to a monitor (I'll have to use a dvi to vga adapter because I only have vga cables)
from the hdmi output of the gpu, a Y hdmi cable to split to the 2 projectors

Would that set up work ? Plugging both projectors into one of the hdmi output of my gpu ?
Would there be a big delay from what the camera films to what is shown through the projectors ?

Thank you very much !
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 12:49:37 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hi keveuh and welcome to the Forum!

What you describe will probably work, much depending on your USB capture. Depending on how it transfers video into vMix you might find that the delay is a little bit too long. Typically, if the delay in vMix's Output window looks OK, then you are on the right track. From vmix's Output to the graphics card there is around 3-5 frames delay. Your DVI to VGA adapter might add a frame or two, depending on which one you have. Best way to figure out is to try. Good luck!

On a side note, if your camera is used to display a presenter on big screen it is typically called IMAG (Image Magnification). Search this Forum for IMAG and you'll find many discussions about IMAG and delay.

NHT  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 1:13:46 PM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
You really need a proper HDMI splitter to do this but these are relatively inexpensive from Ebay or Amazon.

HDMI Spltter.UserPostedImage
zenvideo  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 1:17:24 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:
Your DVI to VGA adapter might add a frame or two, depending on which one you have.

If the DVI output is DVI-I, then getting an analogue output in VGA format only requires a passive adapter which won't add any further delay. As mentioned already, you will need an active HDMI splitter rather than a 'Y' cable.
keveuh  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 1:39:49 AM(UTC)
keveuh

Thank you all for your answers.

As capture device I'll use the cheapest I found on the vMix compatibility list: Elgato Cam Link.