logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowski  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:19:03 AM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi we're looking to build a Ruby system, but the recommended motherboard only has 3 PCI slots - one for GFX (1060), only leaving two for capture.
We currently have a Decklink Duo 2 and would like to have a second for 8 SDI in - but we also want in the future to be able to add a single 4k capture so we can pan scan for overhead shot details.

I have seen this board:
http://www.gigabyte.com/...A-Z270X-Gaming-9-rev-10)
Which has 4 PCI slots which would give is the extra slot to expand into, anyone using this with the latest gen i7 CPU?
Would be an acceptable substitute?

Shame there don't seem to be many boards with more than 3 full length PCI slots. Unless anyone has a suggestion?

Thanks
zenvideo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:20:44 PM(UTC)
zenvideo

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 130 post(s)
nowski wrote:
Shame there don't seem to be many boards with more than 3 full length PCI slots. Unless anyone has a suggestion?

I think the main reason for that is the limited number of PCIe lanes (i.e. 16) on the "desktop" i7 CPUs. You can have as many slots as you like, but you're limited by the CPU as to how many lanes can be used in each one. With 3 capture cards (2x QuadHD + 1x 4K) probably using up 12 lanes, that means only 4 lanes are left for the GPU and everything else. That's why the Obsidian uses the X299 chipset which can accommodate the higher-end 'X' range CPUs like the i7-7800X and i9 range which have 28 or 40(+) PCIe lanes available.
thanks 2 users thanked zenvideo for this useful post.
nowski on 11/15/2017(UTC), mjgraves on 11/15/2017(UTC)
nowski  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:31:14 PM(UTC)
nowski

Thanks, that does help somewhat, we're veering towards an X299 board now with an i7z820X 8 core CPU which might a be more upgradeable ( think it used the i9 type socket) and give more PCI slots/bandwidth.
I work in music technology, I thought that was obtuse, this is on another level!

Nick
RandomStreamer  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 1:08:48 PM(UTC)
RandomStreamer

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I use Asrock Z270 taichi for one of my builds.

Dual Lan, 4 PCI-E slots, amazing board!

Yes, the CPU only has 16 lanes, but there are others built in the board...

Full allocation would work As following: 8X, 4X, 4X, 4X, which is perfect for the GPU (no much performance loss running it at 8X)

If this is a new build, X299 is the way to go in my opinion.

thanks 1 user thanked RandomStreamer for this useful post.
nowski on 11/17/2017(UTC)
nowski  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 1:13:54 PM(UTC)
nowski

Thanks for the replies. We actually went with an X299 and an i7 7820X, in the end - more PCI slots (4), m2 SSD for recording to ,future proof CPU slot etc. Should work well for both vMix and NLE work too. I'm already thinking of the things we'll be able to do by cutting our rendering times in half....
Should arrive next week. Only currently doing HD productions, but we're hoping we can remove our Blackmagic ATEM TVStudio - which has served is well for 5 years or so.
As well as weekly in-house streaming productions, we do 6 camera studio shoots, so we hope we can just record the cameras direct to SSD with Multicorder

Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
Intel Core i7 7820X - 28 PCI lanes, upgradable to an i9 in the future
16GB RAM
NVIDIA 1060
Decklink Studio
Decklink Duo 2
Will retire the Studio and add another Duo 2 plus a 4K capture card at some point in the future