logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
colintve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:41:02 PM(UTC)
colintve

Groups: Registered

I would like to see an automated audio fade out option that can automatically fade the audio on a VT clip played from within vMIx, to continue after being cut away from. This is to avoid the unprofessional and distracting sudden audio cut that occurs when you cut away from a VT clip to a camera or other source with auto audio enabled.

I see that the vMix Fun time show really needs this feature too. Every time a VT clip is played (stings, idents etc) the audio is abruptly just cut at the point when a camera is cut to. We currently have to turn AFV off and have someone manually control the audio with a midi controller, so an audio feature to combat this would be great.

Thanks

Peter B  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:43:39 PM(UTC)
Peter B

Man

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
+1

I've noticed this as well and unless your doing a transition your left with a hard audio cut. Even with videos and cameras there's usually some ambient audio present,
air con, room noise etc.

vMix does soft cut the audio but a global audio crossfade parameter that the user could define to be longer would be very professional and useful.
A 0 parameter would leave it as is and follow the transition time but this could be increased.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:35:21 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
rowby  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 9:00:52 PM(UTC)
rowby

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hi everyone,

I vote YES for this request too. Audio fade in and fade out.

In the meantime (IceStream), are there indeed workarounds? Perhaps in the global settings?

Thanks

Rowby
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 7, 2017 10:38:17 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ rowby

One workaround is to use a series of "Triggers" that progressively changes the audio volume (either up or down).

Ice

thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
rowby on 8/8/2017(UTC)
Amokka  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 7:56:25 PM(UTC)
Amokka

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 12 post(s)
+1
DCSmith  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2017 6:34:27 PM(UTC)
DCSmith

Man

I vote yes on this feature request as well. Having a pre-roll cut out and the feature cut in, is not very professional. I know Triggers have been suggested as a workaround. I'll have to look into it.

If you have a video fade, why not a corresponding audio fade to match?
Squier  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 20, 2017 1:40:15 PM(UTC)
Squier

+1
Barney Box Lane  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2017 9:58:46 AM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
+45 yes yes yes please it would change out workflow dramatically and free up a job roll we can do a whole professional round up show without leaving vmix at the mo we have to throw it into an editor or not underlay music, even just stingers etc could benefit massively, please if it's not a massive stress can we have this function even a set generic duration that can't be changed would help
Crud577  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 8:12:12 PM(UTC)
Crud577

Man
Australia

I fully agree with this audio fade feature, having previously posted on this topic and receiving lukewarm responses. The workarounds just don't cut it for professionalism and efficient, slick productions. Working in post editing for a number of years now and always having the ability to audio fade, hearing the hard cut on audio is so clunky for want of a better word.
Rogue_Danar  
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:36:24 PM(UTC)
Rogue_Danar

My question is how has this not been addressed already? I've seen variations on this feature request pop up so many times in the past several years, I'm amazed that this hasn't been made a feature.
Cpilcher  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:09:19 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
+1

Adding my vote to this thread as well. Very much needed on my setup.
Ittaidv  
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 9:19:28 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
+1, it saves a guy in production if triggers could trigger a nice fade instead of a cut :)
spencerm24  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 5:54:00 PM(UTC)
spencerm24

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
+1 Adds so much professinalism to the final product.
NHT  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 18, 2017 6:04:35 PM(UTC)
NHT

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
This is a genuine question, why do you have to hard cut away from a VT instead of using a transition so the audio cross fades?
Mark Ratcliff  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:13:04 PM(UTC)
Mark Ratcliff

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1 This is the last feature that stops vMix being a truly professional tool. Audio fades = quality production. Fun time live is crying out for audio fades out of the intro VT. We just need to be able to control separate audio and video transitions from the same source. Can't remember the last time I wanted audio and video to fade at exactly the same time. Absolutely love vMix. Please put this on the list :)
Argo82  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2018 5:23:43 PM(UTC)
Argo82

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
+=1
KeithM  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 11:32:23 PM(UTC)
KeithM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
+1

I agree this is needed.

I use separate 'audio only' inputs from the mixer and music tracks. Tried triggers with multi-step volume changes to cross fade audio separate from video transition, but that was too limiting and cumbersome to reprogram triggers to use different clips. Now, I use shortcuts to MIDI faders. I transition the video fade with one hand, fade down the first audio input with my other hand and fade up the second audio input with my third hand... :-)

Yes, cross fading audio inputs separate from video transitions is sorely needed. Maybe it could be added as a shortcut with two inputs and a rate/duration or assign crossfade to a MIDI fader or knob for rate to fade manually). Another possibility is to create a function in the Audio Mixer to crossfade between two audio buses and then assign clips to one bus and mics or main mixer input to the other bus.
admin  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 5:28:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Keith,

Can you describe an example workflow where this would be needed?
vMix already crossfades the audio of both inputs during a transition, so I am just trying to understand scenarios where you need
to mix two inputs audio outside of that?

Regards,

Martin
vMix
Barney Box Lane  
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:48:07 AM(UTC)
Barney Box Lane

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 29 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi Keith,

Can you describe an example workflow where this would be needed?
vMix already crossfades the audio of both inputs during a transition, so I am just trying to understand scenarios where you need
to mix two inputs audio outside of that?

Regards,

Martin
vMix

if you're playing music over a reply and the replays are different duration, when the replay finishes, the audio takes a second to fade down (we're currently trying to match up durations so things end together.

when we want some background music while the presenter is introing the show and it would fade off to drop the intro, instead of what we're doing which is a song that's pre faded about the length (shorter than) we need it and making sure we have let the background music fade out before cutting to intro

when cutting to a replay and the sound bursts in e.g. let's take a look at this round from earlier and suddenly we cut to a dragster with engine on full wack

advanced
next segment video (you would use this) - you play a next segment video, that has no music.. you also trigger a song at full volume... on completion the music fades (1sec) to (x) volume and turns to background tinkering music

more advance - on segment video completion fade volume to 0 after 30secs for example while the presenter introduces themselves

I would use longer songs for all my intro videos or next segment bits if we had this

super advanced level 1000 - you could start the music off at a background level before you cut to a segment, and fade up to full volume using a trigger when cut to your mute next segment video - you could have this set to a trigger as well, so for instance the music's started tinkering in the back ground means the next seg video is about to trigger in - letting you know you've got 10 secs to wrap things up

you can also create a talk over button for a presenter to talk over certain videos to say what's coming up or to review a replay which in our case is really noisey, we need a trench for his voice
thanks 1 user thanked Barney Box Lane for this useful post.
TFMG on 3/23/2018(UTC)