logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowski  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2017 9:41:28 AM(UTC)
nowski

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi there, we are about to invest in a Ruby system, currently our workflow is to use a BM TVS to switch inputs and record the video + 4 channels of audio (mic1, mic2 and stereo music) using Blackmagic Media Express which embeds four audio channels in the resulting switch output recorded via our Deckling Studio card. We have a 4ch audio record as a backup.

We're looking at replacing the TVS with Vmix using a BM Duo 2 and we also have the Decklink Studio which provides 4 discrete channels of audio.

My question is how do we get (if its even possible) Vmix to record the switched output with those 4 channels of audio as separate discrete channels?
Our plan is to take the switched output, use multi-corder and or the 2nd record bus option on V20 to give us discrete camera angles to supplement or fix when doing the final edit in our NLE.
So our ideal end result is:
vMix master output with 4 channels of embedded audio,
2nd record output direct from cam 1
Multicorders 1,2,3 cam 2, 3, 4 direct recordings

Any help would be appreciated.

many thanks
nowski  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:08:43 AM(UTC)
nowski

Okay just so there's a record of what I've discovered here:

It is possible to route any of the incoming SDI audio channels to the input but only as a stereo pair as a mix of up to 8 embedded SDI audio streams.
You cannot record these discretely into a single video file.

I have four channels out of my mixer: 2 dialogue and a stereo mix. I would embed the dialogue channel into SDI input 1, and the stereo mix to SDI input 2
recording those two discrete SDI inputs would give me my four channels of audio split across two recorded video files - in two stereo pairs 1=dialogue, 2=st mix

I found the Blackmagic Audio->SDI Convertor for around £149 UK. I'd need two even though I can add up to four channels with a single convertor, I would only be using two channels of each device.

Got there in the end, but would be great if Vmix could embed more SDI channels into a single recorded file. Would save a lot of messing about
The Media Express Capture application will do this.

Regards

Nick

nowski  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 5:22:01 AM(UTC)
nowski

Ok, think I have found the solution - a case of RTFM. So if I buss the audio from incoming cameras to A+B , I can record up to 6 channels into an AVI and WAV recording format.
According to the manual:

Audio Mix Channel Options

Master: 2 Channel Master mix
BusA: 2 Channel A mix
BusB: 2 Channel B mix
MA: 2 Channel Master + 2 Channel A
MAB: 2 Channel Master + 2 Channel A + 2 Channel B

NOTE: Only the AVI video format and the WAV File Record options supports more than 2 channels, if a 4 or 6 channel option is selected here for other formats
then only the first 2 channels will be included.

But it would be nice if we could have Audio only recording - would be useful to be able to record just the audio WAV multichannel file without video either in the main record dialog or Multicorder.
thanks 1 user thanked nowski for this useful post.
IainJC on 4/26/2024(UTC)