logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ph0en1x  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 11:37:56 AM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have a couple of questions regarding optimizing performance.

Some background: we added a second camera (1080i50) to our set-up. Also running is one Instant Replay camera and a NDI output. We found that our i7 4790 / 8gb RAM / Geforce GTX 960 2GB wasn't up to the task of processing two camera's, one Instant Replay camera, one NDI output and the livestream itself (using FFMPEG). Render times fluctuated from 4 to 80ms and CPU usage was reaching 100%. Is this normal for a system like that?

Weirdest thing to me was that GPU-Z noted only 10% load om the GPU, which seems low since vMix is known for intensively using the graphics adapter. I updated the GPU drivers and vMix version (from 19 to 20), so i hope that changes things too.

The questions:

- In Outputs/NDI, is it preferable to configure a separate NDI output or is it better to use 1 output for both streaming and NDI?
- When using 1080i50 camera sources and 1080p25 content (promo's and such), does it matter if i select 25p or 50i as master frame rate when streaming (deinterlaced) 25p?
- The graphics adapter that's being used is the 960. However when dropping down the menu, it displays the 960 two times. What might this indicate?
- What is more heavy on the system, blend or discard deinterlacing?

Thanks in advance!
Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 11:54:12 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Weird, your system should be able to handle this perfectly, this is really not a heavy load. Even my i5/gtx 1050 system can handle a lot more. I would check for other causes of instability than just the hardware. Are you overloading a harddisk? What codec do you use, perhaps try to tick hardware encoding? etc..

GPU-Z load is perfectly normal. Vmix uses the GPU indeed, but not in a way that translates in high 'gpu usage' in GPU-Z or other programs.

- I think it doesn't really matter which output you use, since it will be 2 seperate encodes for streaming and NDI anyway.
- I don't think 25p or 50i matter a lot. I usually set my master framerate to 50i and record in 25p, but haven't noticed a difference when setting the master framerate to 25p. I did however notice some differences when using a fullscreen output of a 50i/25p project on for example a 60 hz monitor. Setting the monitor to 50hz improved performance on some systems.
- No idea what this indicates: also had it on a particular system, but didn't see any performance issues related to it.
- Interlacing is really something that doesn't affect system stability, at least not to my knowledge.

Ph0en1x  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 2:04:28 PM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

Ittaidv wrote:
Weird, your system should be able to handle this perfectly, this is really not a heavy load. Even my i5/gtx 1050 system can handle a lot more.

That's what i thought as well!

Quote:
Are you overloading a harddisk?

Don't think so, all recordings and instant replay is done on a dedicated SSD. There's 30gb of space left on the system drive.

Quote:
What codec do you use, perhaps try to tick hardware encoding? etc..

See my attached streaming settings for YouTube Live. Hardware encoding is checked.

By the way, if i open vMix in it's default two blank input state, even then render times are fluctuating between 10 and 60. Not sure what that's all about.
Ph0en1x attached the following image(s):
Stream settings.png (297kb) downloaded 34 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 2:40:45 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4165 time(s) in 1496 post(s)
Have a look in Task Manager as there may be another process running using up a lot of CPU.
Also, if you have GeForce Experience installed, uninstall it or at least disable the "Share" option which can significantly reduce performance.
Ph0en1x  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 3:14:19 PM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

admin wrote:
Have a look in Task Manager as there may be another process running using up a lot of CPU.
Also, if you have GeForce Experience installed, uninstall it or at least disable the "Share" option which can significantly reduce performance.

Will keep an eye out. I uninstalled Experience and now render times with the blank vMix template are back to 1ms, so that helped already, thanks!
Ph0en1x  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:55:11 PM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

Ph0en1x wrote:
admin wrote:

Will keep an eye out. I uninstalled Experience and now render times with the blank vMix template are back to 1ms, so that helped already, thanks!

Cheered too early. Today we did another event and performance wasn't up to par. There were no other processes using the CPU, as suggested by Admin.

What I did notice was that render times sometimes peak to 70/80ms not matter what resolution I choose from my main camera. 1080p25,1080i50,720p50, it doesn't appear to make a difference. Also Instant Replay really increases the load and render times. Like from 30% to up to 100%.

Any other suggestions for optimizing my system? Do you guys still think my setup should run the preset below with no problem? Looking at the system requirements on the vMix website, i should be able to do 8 HD camera's AND Instant Replay. I do see a 1920x1080 screen resolution is recommended. How much does a different screen resolution impact performance? I have 2 monitors set to 1280x1024 60hz (they're REALLY old monitors...).

My preset:

- 1080p25 master frame rate/resolution
- Two camera's (HXR MC2500 and HXR MC2000) outputting 1080i50 captured by Decklink Mini Recorder, imported as 1080i50 deinterlaced in vMix. (importing as 1080p25 doesn't get rid of the interlacing and somehow i can't get a 1080p signal from either of the camera's into the Mini Recorders)
- Instant replay set to one of these cameras, as 1080i50
- Image sequence stinger for transitioning into instant replays
- Zoom H6 as separate audio input
- Approximately 10 xaml titles for scores etc.
- Some existing video's that i might switch into the output during time-outs etc.

All together it's about 30 inputs.

admin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:04:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4165 time(s) in 1496 post(s)
I would suggest starting with a blank preset, and slowly building up your production taking note of what is causing the high CPU.
If you are seeing 100% cpu then everything will begin to suffer at this point, the system should be kept under 70%
at all times for good results.

I will say though that this certainly isn't normal given those specs, so there is some input or setting out of wack that is resulting in the high CPU, and by isolating
the inputs one by one you should be able to work out what.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
kjones9999  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 12:25:17 AM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Broadcast last night had the same thing. Culprit was an open google chrome session that was playing the stream (facebook). Closed Chrome and all returned to normal...
thanks 1 user thanked kjones9999 for this useful post.
TrentisN on 8/31/2018(UTC)
Ph0en1x  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 6, 2017 5:37:28 AM(UTC)
Ph0en1x

admin wrote:
I would suggest starting with a blank preset, and slowly building up your production taking note of what is causing the high CPU.
If you are seeing 100% cpu then everything will begin to suffer at this point, the system should be kept under 70%
at all times for good results.

I will say though that this certainly isn't normal given those specs, so there is some input or setting out of wack that is resulting in the high CPU, and by isolating
the inputs one by one you should be able to work out what.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

I'll try to find the problem this way. What kind of inputs generally hog the system?

And the resolution of my monitors isn't a factor?

kjones9999 wrote:
Broadcast last night had the same thing. Culprit was an open google chrome session that was playing the stream (facebook). Closed Chrome and all returned to normal...

I always have Chrome open to monitor YouTube comments and stream stability with the stream on YouTube paused. I'll see if closing that changes things.